So were Seb and Emma actually mates at all?

....Had to go back and read "Date" and still trying to figure that one out.  Dammit.

The title itself should give you a hint ;-)

Okay... So I'm breaking the space-time continuum here, merging two worlds... But I simply must quote our esteemed author from another ongoing discussion. I made some wild assumptions about Emma. Got this for a reply.

"Sent 12 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

Oh. She's human ;-)."

Right...

And I'm thinking about yesterday's chapter.

If vampires are born through suicide, then what happens to a part vamp who kills herself? Comes back at 6 %?

• Like 2

Are vampires only created from people who have committed suicide?

If you burn the bodies of humans who have killed themselves, will they still arise?

How can they have viable eggs and sperm if they are dead?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

Somehow, I doubt logic applies to vampire procreation.

And I would guess Emma has never killed herself before. She was only 3% vamp and her heritage discovered through genealogy. But I wondered the same. Can MaryAnn guide her to an orifice? Or did the wolves 'deal' with the corpse in a more finite fashion?

Another thing, I'm a bit concerned for Prime. His coldness reminded me of disconnected Sam. Not good.

• Like 1

Somehow, I doubt logic applies to vampire procreation.

And I would guess Emma has never killed herself before. She was only 3% vamp and her heritage discovered through genealogy. But I wondered the same. Can MaryAnn guide her to an orifice? Or did the wolves 'deal' with the corpse in a more finite fashion?

Another thing, I'm a bit concerned for Prime. His coldness reminded me of disconnected Sam. Not good.

Emma was definitely alive and a human, so she would only arise as a full vampire after her suicide. She probably killed herself to avoid being killed by the wolves, since this might have prevented her from rising (assuming MaryAnn told her the prerequisites). Maybe it's only the spirit of the human which goes on and a new body is created from the soil? If burning corpses prevents vampires from rising wolves should promote this burial ritual (60% of Danes in cities are burned not buried).

Vampires come out of the orifice after spending time underground, so Emma won't need to be lead to an orifice to enter as a dead human.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

Emma was defnitely alive and a human, so she would only arise as a full vampire after her suicide. She probably killed herself to avoid being killed by the wolves, since this might have prevented her from rising (assuming MaryAnn told her the prerequisites). Maybe it's only the spirit of the human which goes on and a new body is created from the soil? If burning corpses prevents vampires from rising wolves should promote this burial ritual (60% of Danes in cities are burned not buried).

Vampires come out of the orifice after spending time underground, so Emma won't need to be lead to an orifice to enter as a dead human.

While I haven't thought about all the details of vampire-ification (I would need to read Colt's "Of Vampires and Shifters, the 21st century edition"), I would agree with Tim. The fate of the physical existence is irrelevant to the resurrection as vampire. The prerequisite is the soul/mind "making a choice," normally expressed by committing suicide.

I think Hercule Poirot hinted at that.

Of course this little episode successfully hid the true hint in the chapter (grinning evilly in Mexico).

JAR

• Like 1

While I haven't thought about all the details of vampire-ification (I would need to read Colt's "Of Vampires and Shifters, the 21st century edition"), I would agree with Tim. The fate of the physical existence is irrelevant to the resurrection as vampire. The prerequisite is the soul/mind "making a choice," normally expressed by committing suicide.

I think Hercule Poirot hinted at that.

Of course this little episode successfully hid the true hint in the chapter (grinning evilly in Mexico).

JAR

Of course there was a hint we didn't spot. There is always some hint that isn't noticed on the first read when something big happens like everything here...

As for you grinning evilly in Mexico... You are really in a hard situation yourself... As seen here.

hang-in-there-canada.png 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So, something about the prophecy that still doesn't add up to me....

A boy will be born every li generations in Kubera’s realm, to lead a loyal army of strength to victory over the Lord of Darkness. When he also kills his rightful heir, he will take his rightful place, in time, for the new cycle.

Maryann reasons that she's the "rightful heir" since she is the last queen still standing.  However, there isn't anything in the prophecy, as it is translated, to indicate this.  This may be why Colt wanted to learn Sanskrit.  I think it boils down to that last sentence and the whole pronoun-antecedent clusterfuck.  We assume that the first "he" refers to the "boy" who leads the army of strength, but the second "he" is kinda wonky.  Who is "he" and what is "his rightful place"? 

At the end of chapter 15, Colt kills himself.  Is it possible that the first and second "he" refer to the boy?  And with Colt killing himself, he would be reborn as the new Lord of Darkness.  Was the boy led into the orifice during the Trojan war the recently killed LoD?

At any rate, I'm still interested in the different factions within this world.  We know what the purpose behind the wolves and vampires, but what of the Owls and the council that Betsy answers to?  In another prompt, we see "a boy" of prophecy who dies shortly before WWII, which means "every li generations" is quite frequent.  I imagine this could cause a lot of chaos if every one of those boys is allowed to fulfill his destiny (en masse deaths of both vampires and wolves would create significant human casualties as well).  So, are the Owls meant to keep the balance between shifters and vampires, perhaps even allowing the boy to either die or prevent him from reaching full power?

• Like 4

To me, there is an ongoing powerstruggle at some other level, like the Greek gods who played their games with humanity just to pass the time. Eternity can get somewhat boring... The Owls do their bidding and make sure the game can continue. Finding the right boy at the set intervals isn't easy. As seen in that prompt, they have bet on the wrong horse once in a while. I think it's supposed to be every 3000 years, so there perhaps could be a few boys during a hundred years or so. 

I just read this weeks chapter and I must think it over. The next generation/new cycle makes me hold on to hope. That and the fact that there are chapters left. What would they be about if all are dead...? ;) Besides, there are prompts that tell us all is not lost. I'm thinking this is a weird dream (although the ending is probably what happens) since there are all these strange changes to the time line. To prepare for the next generation, something must be removed...

But I'll sleep on it. 

• Like 3

What is the purpose of shadowing Rob? What has it accomplished? Could this shadow be responsible for having Bradley and Rob meet in the first place? We know Rob was almost throwing Bradley at Colt at that first meeting. Now we know he has been 'helping' Bradley to hone his skills in some arenas. Then here he was oh so open with Colt and talking up Bradley. If Rob wasn't shadowed how long would it have taken for Bradley and Colt to meet and go out? So many questions...

Those are very interesting questions. I was rather miffed at Rob being shadowed (lol), so I failed to think of the implications. But at least Rob wasn't pushed to act too far away from his general character. :yes:

• Like 2

And Leo had a tendency to bring out the best in people...

Best - or worst ?

As far as I recall Leo was pretty upset and ended up giving Seb a thrashing in the cage.

But it's not that I think Seb was a jerk all the time, and I could understand why he felt under pressure and reacted the way he did. But maybe Emma made it worse, fed his insecurities or provoked him. As for them getting together, perhaps she caught him by fake 'mate-like' scents?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...