May The Fourth Be With You!

Happy Star Wars Day.

star-wars-day-june24_zpspcptrr9r.png

Crowds gather to see the opening of Star Wars in 1977.

Note the bell bottoms and shoulder length hair.

#maythefourthbewithyou

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I remember waiting in line to see "The Empire Strikes Back" with my dad and brother. A man with a bullhorn walked up and down the line announcing that the movie was sold out.  I was so disappointed.  We ended up seeing a different movie and going out to dinner.  We saw TESB when there weren't as many crowds. 

• Like 1

Happy Star Wars Day.

star-wars-day-june24_zpspcptrr9r.png

Crowds gather to see the opening of Star Wars in 1977.

Note the bell bottoms and shoulder length hair.

#maythefourthbewithyou

God, the 70's was an ugly fashion decade.

I've never really been that big of a fan of Star Wars. I liked Star Trek: The Next Generation more.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

My dad took me to see IV, V, and VI when they re-released them into theaters in the '90s. I still remember almost crying when Obi-Wan got struck down. :P

This warms my heart. Your dad is probably close to my age so its like passing it on to the next generation. Star Wars will never die!

I saw Star Wars in 70mm at this theatre in 1977-78:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18164

It was one of the stadium sized Cinemascope theatres. It only had on screen and it was wrap around and about the size of a football field! I sat in awe as Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 'Devestator' flew over taking pot shots at the Tantive V. From that point on Star Wars became my religion!

I was 6 years old!

Edited by MrM

>>God, the 70's was an ugly fashion decade.

How do you think we see todays fashions? Crew cuts and scruffy beards and hipsters, oh my!

I'm not entirely in disagreement with you. Mid-2000's guys with their stripped colored polos and cargo shorts were infinitely hotter.

Still, as someone once put it, the 1970's had such great films and music to make up for hideous the aesthetics were. LOL.

One thing we have going for us now is that shorts are getting shorter and jeans are getting tighter.

Edited by methodwriter85

But the shorts the guys wore in the 70s and 80s, especially the sports teams, were way hotter.  Showed a lot more skin, that's for sure.  

• Like 1