• Site Moderator

Cannd, I think you could be right about Tara, but not Chelsea. Remember at the camp she lamented about Drake being gay, she wouldn't lie about this topic, so she must be straight. But this wouldn't prevent the morality police from dragging her away from the 'evil' influence of two 'immoral' teens. :rolleyes:

I think I should point out that Officer Higgins technically kidnapped Chelsea. She had zero authority to take her away in that car since no laws were being broken. :)

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

On another topic. As bad as Silas has had things in the past year and a half, his life could have been far worse if he had chosen to stay home. Over the past week I've enlightened myself to the plight of Mormon teens primarily due to this story, and it's not just gay teens either. There seems to be a number of institutions geared to reeducating Mormon children to follow "the correct path." The things done at these places are barbaric. They run the entire range from extreme physical, mental, and sexual abuse. One of the biggest offenders was the West Ridge Academy aka The Utah Boy's Ranch. It's director for 15 years was the renowned homophobe, former Sen. Chris Buttars.

• Like 1

This was very fitting. Silas is on his own great escape. It is a pretty sad life trying to avoid further emotional hurt by distancing himself from other people. I think he let the band in more than he had let anyone else since he left home. Chelsea is well on her way to becoming a part of his life. At this point he would have to really hurt her to push her away. I think Silas is too good to do that.

Trying to fit in by pleasing his parents and seeming to be what they expected was doomed to fail from the start. The connections that Silas has made by being himself are lasting ones. Now will Silas start to see these relationships as more than fleeting encounters?

I spent years in both scenarios. I've spent time trying to please others by living up to their expectations and I've spent time trying to avoid further emotional hurt by distancing myself. I still do some of the latter, but I've become a lot better at trusting people. I wouldn't be surprised if I subconsciously built Silas the way that he is because of my own experience. :)

Cannd, I think you could be right about Tara, but not Chelsea. Remember at the camp she lamented about Drake being gay, she wouldn't lie about this topic, so she must be straight. But this wouldn't prevent the morality police from dragging her away from the 'evil' influence of two 'immoral' teens. :rolleyes:

This isn't meant to confirm or deny anything, but let's not forget the "bisexual" option. :)

I think I should point out that Officer Higgins technically kidnapped Chelsea. She had zero authority to take her away in that car since no laws were being broken. :)

Small town. People tend to look the other way. Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

On another topic. As bad as Silas has had things in the past year and a half, his life could have been far worse if he had chosen to stay home. Over the past week I've enlightened myself to the plight of Mormon teens primarily due to this story, and it's not just gay teens either. There seems to be a number of institutions geared to reeducating Mormon children to follow "the correct path." The things done at these places are barbaric. They run the entire range from extreme physical, mental, and sexual abuse. One of the biggest offenders was the West Ridge Academy aka The Utah Boy's Ranch. It's director for 15 years was the renowned homophobe, former Sen. Chris Buttars.

Oh yes. I've been reading some of those, too. They're awful! I'm so glad that none of that happened to me. Of course I didn't "come out" until I was 23, so my parents couldn't have sent me to one of those places for my sexuality, but I did know about them when growing up and I feared them. I know of at least one person I was friends with growing up who got sent to a place like that, and it screwed him up for life.

The Mormon church is a very oppressive organization. It's a wonder anyone survives growing up in it at all.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Small town. People tend to look the other way. Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Yeah. A lot of things go on under the radar. I don't know if you've heard of 'Greyhound therapy' or not, but it refers to the unofficial police practice of taking troublesome individuals to another jurisdiction and leaving them there; making them someone else's problem.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2

Yeah. A lot of things go on under the radar. I don't know if you've heard of 'Greyhound therapy' or not, but it refers to the unofficial police practice of taking troublesome individuals to another jurisdiction and leaving them there; making them someone else's problem.

I've never heard of that. That sounds like a story idea on its own... I might just have to use that in the future. :)

• Like 1

This isn't meant to confirm or deny anything, but let's not forget the "bisexual" option. :)

Ooops, I should definitely have remembered that. :blushing:

However, after writing my post I also recalled Chelsea saying to Drake (when they first met): "This is the first time I’ve ever talked about this with anyone that wasn’t yelling at me about how wrong it was."

This must mean she's never talked to Tara about it, and that seems to indicate Tara is most likely straight too.

Anyway, I'd wondered hos Chelsea managed to be so sensible what with her upbringing, but I think Tara is the reason. She seems the person to question authority and bigotry of all kinds and this would help Chelsea to develop her own opinions. Much to the consternation of her church. :lol:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Ooops, I should definitely have remembered that. :blushing:

However, after writing my post I also recalled Chelsea saying to Drake (when they first met): "This is the first time I’ve ever talked about this with anyone that wasn’t yelling at me about how wrong it was."

This must mean she's never talked to Tara about it, and that seems to indicate Tara is most likely straight too.

Anyway, I'd wondered hos Chelsea managed to be so sensible what with her upbringing, but I think Tara is the reason. She seems the person to question authority and bigotry of all kinds and this would help Chelsea to develop her own opinions. Much to the consternation of her church. :lol:

There is so much to the Chelsea and Tara dynamic that is yet to be revealed. But keep in mind that when Chelsea was talking with Silas the first time he was still a stranger. A gay stranger he might have been, but that doesn't mean she'd be comepletely open about everything. Everyone has their secrets. :)

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I think it would be useful to include a link to this thread in the author note ending each chapter.  :)

ReaderPaul raised a question about age of consent in Colorado, which is 17 and not 16. Typically age differences have zero impact once you reach the age of consent unless you are in a position of trust with that person. Colorado law is rather bizarre in that it contains broad close in age exceptions. So 15 and 16 year olds can engage in acts with those less than ten years older and those less than 15 can engage in acts with those less than four years older. So even though Silas is underage in Colorado, sex with Adam, for instance, would still be legal. The most bizarre thing is... if they had been caught exchanging money or goods at the pet store and since Silas is under 18, that is child prostitution and a felony.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1

I think it would be useful to include a link to this thread in the author note ending each chapter.  :)

ReaderPaul raised a question about age of consent in Colorado, which is 17 and not 16. Typically age differences have zero impact once you reach the age of consent unless you are in a position of trust with that person. Colorado law is rather bizarre in that it contains broad close in age exceptions. So 15 and 16 year olds can engage in acts with those less than ten years older and those less than 15 can engage in acts with those less than four years older. So even though Silas is underage in Colorado, sex with Adam, for instance, would still be legal. The most bizarre thing is... if they had been caught exchanging money or goods at the pet store and since Silas is under 18, that is child prostitution and a felony.

That was a brilliant idea, thank you. I've made some changes. :)

My intentions with Adam (They're not really intentions anymore if the story is already written, I suppose) will make that age difference irrelevant on many levels. He's an absolutely amazing person, as the story will reveal in time. 

And as Adam said in the bathroom at the coffee shop, he wasn't going to take Silas up on his offer anyway, but he might have still helped Silas out with his problem had he known that Silas was homeless.

• Like 1

Things are developing fast, maybe almost too fast. :)  There was a lot of drama in the latest chapter and I look forward to one or two chapters with more focus about resolving matters than bringing new factors into the equations.

Apart from this a few details puzzled me. I thought it better to list them here, rather than in my review, because other readers might have opinions too.

Is it OK to bring dogs into diners like Wendys in the US? Over here only guide dogs for the blind would usually be allowed in places which sells or serves food. There are exceptions and this is usually places making a business out of allowing dogs. I thought about it the first time Drake entered Jenny's diner, and I thought Adelaide's presence was one reason he stayed near the door.

How big or small is the town? From the speed with which Officer Higgins found Drake after the woman called, and from the general gossipy feeling of the town, I had pictured an everybody-knows-each-other kind of place. But Adam said people in the coffee shop 'thought' Chelsea was pastor Simms' daughter. Surely if he is notorious for his views as implied, most of the inhabitants would recognize her? I have assumed it was one of the reasons why Chelsea didn't tell Drake she was the pastor's daugther, she was enjoying her anonymity. But my theory falls to the ground, if she's already generally anonymous in town, including a coffeeshop she and Tara seems to frequent often.

In Mom's Diner you first say Silas feels the eyes of the other patrons hold him in place, but immediately afterwards you say they're ignoring what is going on. How likely is the latter with the relatively dramatic entrance of Silas and Chelsea, snowcovered and the girl injured? The trucker says he doesn't have to hit the road right now, but if there is a major snow storm building, he would either get out of there fast while he can or have given up already. Little things like this bother me (but I'm something of a nitpicker, so it's OK to ignore me, lol).

I was actually surprised to learn Chelsea's arm was broken. I'd expected a severe sprain and bruising, from being shaken and hit. It takes a lot of force or a blunt instrument to break an arm. While I can picture the irate pastor striking at his daughter (with a stick?), when she tried to leave and her holding up her arm in defense and it breaking, I have difficulty imagining Chelsea being able to flee afterwards. But adrenalin can make you achieve impossible feats, and when it ran out she got lost in the woods. :unsure:  The reason I say she must have been about to leave is that she was already wearing her jacket (although not a proper warm one), or perhaps she never took it off after being dragged home. But that can't be right, because she was wearing outdoor clothes when she met Silas earlier, and also a few hours have passed, as far as I can work out.

All of the above is only to show you how interested we are and how carefully we read your story. :)  Every detail matters when we try to work out what has happened after Chelsea got abducted and delivered to her abusive father. Oh and I kept wondering if officer Higgins was the one shouting in Chelsea's house. I have the feeling she is a good police officer in spite of her churchy views and I doubt she would be pleased to be told Chelsea has run away into a snow storm, injured and without adequate clothes.

• Like 2

Things are developing fast, maybe almost too fast. :)  There was a lot of drama in the latest chapter and I look forward to one or two chapters with more focus about resolving matters than bringing new factors into the equations.

Apart from this a few details puzzled me. I thought it better to list them here, rather than in my review, because other readers might have opinions too.

Is it OK to bring dogs into diners like Wendys in the US? Over here only guide dogs for the blind would usually be allowed in places which sells or serves food. There are exceptions and this is usually places making a business out of allowing dogs. I thought about it the first time Drake entered Jenny's diner, and I thought Adelaide's presence was one reason he stayed near the door.

How big or small is the town? From the speed with which Officer Higgins found Drake after the woman called, and from the general gossipy feeling of the town, I had pictured an everybody-knows-each-other kind of place. But Adam said people in the coffee shop 'thought' Chelsea was pastor Simms' daughter. Surely if he is notorious for his views as implied, most of the inhabitants would recognize her? I have assumed it was one of the reasons why Chelsea didn't tell Drake she was the pastor's daugther, she was enjoying her anonymity. But my theory falls to the ground, if she's already generally anonymous in town, including a coffeeshop she and Tara seems to frequent often.

In Mom's Diner you first say Silas feels the eyes of the other patrons hold him in place, but immediately afterwards you say they're ignoring what is going on. How likely is the latter with the relatively dramatic entrance of Silas and Chelsea, snowcovered and the girl injured? The trucker says he doesn't have to hit the road right now, but if there is a major snow storm building, he would either get out of there fast while he can or have given up already. Little things like this bother me (but I'm something of a nitpicker, so it's OK to ignore me, lol).

I was actually surprised to learn Chelsea's arm was broken. I'd expected a severe sprain and bruising, from being shaken and hit. It takes a lot of force or a blunt instrument to break an arm. While I can picture the irate pastor striking at his daughter (with a stick?), when she tried to leave and her holding up her arm in defense and it breaking, I have difficulty imagining Chelsea being able to flee afterwards. But adrenalin can make you achieve impossible feats, and when it ran out she got lost in the woods. :unsure:  The reason I say she must have been about to leave is that she was already wearing her jacket (although not a proper warm one), or perhaps she never took it off after being dragged home. But that can't be right, because she was wearing outdoor clothes when she met Silas earlier, and also a few hours have passed, as far as I can work out.

All of the above is only to show you how interested we are and how carefully we read your story. :)  Every detail matters when we try to work out what has happened after Chelsea got abducted and delivered to her abusive father. Oh and I kept wondering if officer Higgins was the one shouting in Chelsea's house. I have the feeling she is a good police officer in spite of her churchy views and I doubt she would be pleased to be told Chelsea has run away into a snow storm, injured and without adequate clothes.

Oh boy...

I worried about bringing Adelaide into the diner and the Wendy's as well. If you remember the first time Silas walks into Mom's Diner Jenny gives Adelaide a strange look before she approaches SIlas. I hoped that would be enough to cover the strangeness in that instance.

In the Wendy's I was going for the fact that she was well-behaved enough to avoid having attention drawn to her. It may not have been the best decision, but it worked for me at the time.

"Population 6000" as quoted by Jack when they first drive past. Large enough for some anonymity, small enough for people to know all the big names in town even if they don't know the people themselves. People know who Pastor Simms is, but Chelsea? People have seen her before in Pastor SImms' presence, but that's about all the know for sure.

I'll just have to give up on explaining away the trucker. Sometimes things get by me. :)

I like to think that Pastor Simms shoved Chelsea as she tried to get away while she was still wearing her jacket from before, and she broke her arm falling down rather than from being hit. But I suppose that could have been explained a bit better. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I wondered about having a dog in a restaurant myself. I don't believe there are any hard and set rules about it. This being a small, almost rural, place I would assume they likely overlook a good many things.

If I were Chelsea, I would try and hide the fact that I was the pastor's daughter from everyone. It's possible that only the members of the church know even though it's a small place.

As to breaking her arm, I can see it happening quite easily. She is a teenaged girl against a grown man. I can personally attest that you can break someone's arm very easily. Don't ask.  (Suffice it to say that any arms broken were well deserved. No innocent people were harmed.)

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2

I like to think that Pastor Simms shoved Chelsea as she tried to get away while she was still wearing her jacket from before, and she broke her arm falling down rather than from being hit. But I suppose that could have been explained a bit better. 

Well, since we haven't yet had an explanation of what happened, you are free to write it how you imagined, and I'm sure we'll all agree it sounds plausible. :)

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

The typical broken arm injury you see in abuse cases is a spiral fracture.  It is caused when a larger, stronger person has grabbed someone by the lower arm or wrist and is twisting and pulling violently. If the other person is still trying to get away, something has to give.

• Like 2

The typical broken arm injury you see in abuse cases is a spiral fracture.  It is caused when a larger, stronger person has grabbed someone by the lower arm or wrist and is twisting and pulling violently. If the other person is still trying to get away, something has to give.

Makes sense, and in that case Chelsea would not be in that much pain after the initial injury.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Makes sense, and in that case Chelsea would not be in that much pain after the initial injury.

She is also showing signs of shock and that blunts any pain.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I just read Lisa's review of chapter 8. I vividly remember having a small family cookout. My childhood dog, a beagle, had gone off on one of his expeditions. He came back with a ham that was half as big as he was. He was wagging his tail and so pleased with himself. I suppose the people that missed that ham never knew what happened to it. The point is that dogs are blissfully unaware of any prohibition on cured pork. It certainly won't hurt them in small amounts. The things vets dislike are high salt and fat content.