• Site Moderator

So Tim, you've never seen an eighteen year old with a curly beard? Keep in mind he never said it was lush or anything on Brady.  I think Brady was just an early bloomer and he took advantage of it.

And whoopee! I became Cool.   LOL

Edited by drpaladin

So Tim, you've never seen an eighteen year old with a curly beard? Keep in mind he never said it was lush or anything on Brady.  I think Brady was just an early bloomer and he took advantage of it.

nope, not that I know of. In fact I haven't seen many guys with curly beards altogether. :lol:

• Site Moderator

nope, not that I know of. In fact I haven't seen many guys with curly beards altogether. :lol:

Well, I have. It gives a whole new meaning to short and curlies.  lol

One detail. They opened with Navigator, but Tim said something about the last song. Or was he referring to the night before?

snapback.png Reply from Cynus (author)

Hopefully he was talking about the night before. Otherwise I may have made a mistake. :|

I was suggesting that the band as well as opening with the Navigator might play it again as an encore (extra song) at the end of their performance, perhaps at the suggestion of the guy giving them the record deal, in order to get it into the minds of the listeners, so they'd want to buy or download the single. There was no hint of how their performance ended, so it was pure speculation on my point.
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator

One detail. They opened with Navigator, but Tim said something about the last song. Or was he referring to the night before?

snapback.png Reply from Cynus (author)

Hopefully he was talking about the night before. Otherwise I may have made a mistake. :|

I was suggesting that the band as well as opening with the Navigator might play it again as an encore (extra song) at the end of their performance, perhaps at the suggestion of the guy giving them the record deal, in order to get it into the minds of the listeners, so they'd want to buy or download the single. There was no hint of how their performance ended, so it was pure speculation on my point.

That was the way I took your review, but honestly I can see why it could be confusing. The producer was there at the beginning of their set. He might have even been there the previous night too.

• Like 1

That was the way I took your review, but honestly I can see why it could be confusing. The producer was there at the beginning of their set. He might have even been there the previous night too.

Of course he was there the previous night, that was when he offered them the record deal. And they have already been recording it in the morning of the day they were start up band for Anti-Freeze. The chapters starts there, but all the rest is flash-back. Or am I getting it wrong?

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Of course he was there the previous night, that was when he offered them the record deal. And they have already been recording it in the morning of the day they were start up band for Anti-Freeze. The chapters starts there, but all the rest is flash-back. Or am I getting it wrong?

The way I read it they were leaving after the final set of the the last day there when the producer approached them.  And I read it again just to make sure.

• Like 1

I am very curious to see the lyrics to Navigator. Silas reminds me a lot of me at fifteen and sixteen. Angry, proud, self reliant to the point of refusing help, stubborn and determined to make it alone, but desperately needing to be wanted somewhere. I love it - more please!

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Defiance19 mentioned in a review of Ch 10 not understanding Chelsea's mother.  She is pretty much a classic case of Stockholm  syndrome. She loves Chelsea and knows what happened is wrong, but she is too entwined with her husband to fully break with him. It is both realistic and sad.

• Like 1

I am very curious to see the lyrics to Navigator. Silas reminds me a lot of me at fifteen and sixteen. Angry, proud, self reliant to the point of refusing help, stubborn and determined to make it alone, but desperately needing to be wanted somewhere. I love it - more please!

I actually wrote the lyrics to the song after I had written only a chapter or two, and it will show up later in the story, but it's not like the lyrics are a spoiler or anything. I'd be willing to consider posting the lyrics here on the forum if enough people show interest.

Angry, proud, and self-reliant, huh? it sound like you and I need to be friends. Seems like I should go do something about that as soon as I'm done with this post. :)

Defiance19 mentioned in a review of Ch 10 not understanding Chelsea's mother.  She is pretty much a classic case of Stockholm  syndrome. She loves Chelsea and knows what happened is wrong, but she is too entwined with her husband to fully break with him. It is both realistic and sad.

That was essentially what I replied with. :) Mrs. Simms definitely suffers from Stockholm syndrome, and it's far too common of a condition in my opinion. 

• Like 1

That was essentially what I replied with. :) Mrs. Simms definitely suffers from Stockholm syndrome, and it's far too common of a condition in my opinion. 

I didn't immediately think of Stockholm Syndrome, but sadly, that makes perfect sense. I still hope that she has a moment of clarity before something terrible happens. There are so many real life issues at play here which makes this story so intriguing. 

• Like 2

I didn't immediately think of Stockholm Syndrome, but sadly, that makes perfect sense. I still hope that she has a moment of clarity before something terrible happens. There are so many real life issues at play here which makes this story so intriguing. 

That's probably the only reason why it's any good. :P

This is the first time I've written a novel that wasn't fantasy, and I honestly had no idea what to expect from my readers, but I'm glad that everyone seems to like it so far. :)

Stockholm syndrome is an ugly beast, and I think more people suffer it than are willing to let on. I'm actually considering writing a non-fiction "story" and doing a chapter about Stockholm syndrome because of how prevalent it is. 

• Like 1

Due to a personal message I received I feel the need to post the lyrics to The Navigator, so here you go.

Cold winter’s night, the sun was fallen

God knows it wasn’t easy

Must’ve been some fight, to bring him callin’

To the lonely road out of town.

His lady at his side, he took up the fight

They must’ve thought him crazy,

But he hitched a ride, out into the light

The navigator wouldn’t be kept down.

‘Cause there’s no rest for the wicked,

No home to call his own.

No there’s no rest for the wicked,

He’s out there all alone.

Been to a thousand places

Seen many friendly faces

But there’s no rest for the wicked,

Navigator’s never going home.

There can be no doubt, the kid’s heart is pure,

You could see it in his eyes,

Something about his eyes made sure

He meant no harm to none.

Whatever it was, that drove him off,

A history of pain and lies,

We know ‘cause that kid was tough,

Navigator will always find the sun.

No home to call his own.

Seen many friendly faces

But there’s no rest for the wicked,

Navigator’s never going home.

The Navigator’s always watching

But the signs are adding up.

He’ll find the sun,

He’ll find direction,

He’ll find his way

His way

His way

His way…. Back

No home to call his own.

Seen many friendly faces

But the Navigator’s not wicked,

And the Navigator’s comin' home.

So, these are the lyrics that I wrote, sometime around writing chapter 3. A good friend of mine wrote some lyrics as well and he messaged me about them, and I'm going to go invite him to share those lyrics here on the forum so that you guys can enjoy them as well. I have to say that I am incredibly touched that he took the time to write the song, and I have to say that I enjoy his take on the song quite a bit. 

• Like 4

And so perfect for Drake - now I wish I could hear the tune.

You'll have to imagine that. I can't write music. :)

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

You can add Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie van Halen, The Bee Gees, Angus Young, BB King, Duke Ellington, the rest of The Beatles, and many more to that list. Amazing, isn't it?

I love the lyrics! Did you have a particular band in mind when you wrote this? I got a couple of really good images from it, but I want to know if you had a particular style in your head before I say. I also have access to a couple of really good musicians that have expressed interest in maybe putting it on tape for you...your very own theme song. Oh yeah, another great chapter tonight!

• Like 1

I love the lyrics! Did you have a particular band in mind when you wrote this? I got a couple of really good images from it, but I want to know if you had a particular style in your head before I say. I also have access to a couple of really good musicians that have expressed interest in maybe putting it on tape for you...your very own theme song. Oh yeah, another great chapter tonight!

Wow! I'm practically speechless. No, I didn't have a particular band in mind when I wrote this. I always saw The Demons of the Crossroads as the typical 90's era garage band, so I would think their musical style would reflect that, but otherwise there isn't much I could say on it. As to the other thing . . . 

That's kind if what I had in mind as well. I'm showing my age here, but in the mid 90's in Dallas (when i was 17) we had Tripping Daisy. The singer went on to form The Polyphonic Spree, and still performs with them. They were great guys, and had a really unique sound, but unfortunately, also had the stereotypical rock band drug habit, and one of them died. I also kinda had a Toadies / Reverend Horton Heat moment while trying to "see" the guitars behind the words, but again, I'm really just showing how old I am!

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

It certainly will be interesting to see Silas' reaction to the song. It should give him a good reason to reconnect with the band. There are other possibilities from the song too. It could also provide a contact point for his other siblings. Now that would be a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

It certainly will be interesting to see Silas' reaction to the song. It should give him a good reason to reconnect with the band. There are other possibilities from the song too. It could also provide a contact point for his other siblings. Now that would be a wonderful thing.

Has anyone considered the possibility that he doesn't like the song? I'm just curious. I'm not going to confirm one way or another what happens next. :) I just wonder if anyone has thought that it might cause a negative reaction.

the lyrics are beautiful and are perfect for Drake.  I look forward to when he hears the song for the first time.   Great story.

What if he never hears the song? Has anyone thought of that? No, I'm kidding. ;) It would be terrible of me to not have that happen.

Of course, I am the devil, so anything is possible.  :devil:

• Like 2