Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

If they don't, I fear your mind will be churning at 100 mph thinking about all the reviews you need to respond to. :lol:

They have it! I may still die of boredom, but on the positive side, I've already written a couple hundred words for the story I'm working on. I'm forcing myself to slow down. Damn CJ, and Jessie,keep whispering in my ear!

Evidently my concentration isn't up to snuff this morning. I totally missed the last line in the chapter until Carlos pointed his finger at it.

I thought the title might create some confusion... right 1810? :P

Psst Kitt. I think you mean Lt Col Dickhead.

I seem to recall our boys and their crew are the ones who like to YELL Asshole when teasing and/or picking on someone the actually like. Therefore, LCD would never get that honour, just saying. :)

Point taken - Lt Col Dickhead it is!

:rofl:

They BETTER have Wi-Fi at the courthouse!

Don't know why you are headed to the courthouse, but last time I got called for jury duty they supplied wifi in the waiting area, but if you got called up to the vois dire, (spelling?)  The Q & A session with the attorney's and the judge, phones were to be turned off and tablets or laptops were locked up in a storage cabinet in the waiting area till you returned.

• Site Moderator

Evidently my concentration isn't up to snuff this morning. I totally missed the last line in the chapter until Carlos pointed his finger at it.

Pointing fingers. That sounds like our Carlos. :lol:

Personally, I either want to slap the back of his head or cuff him in the ear for maligning poor Harley like that. Even if there is a grain of truth in that statement...

• Site Moderator

They have it! I may still die of boredom, but on the positive side, I've already written a couple hundred words for the story I'm working on. I'm forcing myself to slow down. Damn CJ, and Jessie,keep whispering in my ear!

I thought the title might create some confusion... right 1810? :P

Confusion? No, more like trepidation and angst. Good thing it was another of your famous double entendres. I don't think your readers could deal with another calamity - not that you didn't have me worried when Brett picked up CJ in his truck :o

• Like 1

Confusion? No, more like trepidation and angst. Good thing it was another of your famous double entendres. I don't think your readers could deal with another calamity - not that you didn't have me worried when Brett picked up CJ in his truck :o

I'm sitting in the jury pool room waiting to see if my number gets called to head up to a courtroom so I have to pay attention, somewhat. I'll deal with messages here but I'll wait until the process slows down to reply to reviews.

Dr. P said he thought this was a transitional chapter and in a way he is correct. I wanted to get Brett and CJ back on good terms, I needed to introduce a couple new characters, and I had the Furballs to work into the story to match their own little tale.. AIDS walk happened to coincide with the band's appearance @ Rogo's and it fit nicely with the theme of the storySuch a disparate set of circumstances made it a tad difficult to pick one title that fit the entire chapter. Harley got lucky and I had a chance to create the feeling of a cliffhanger before the chapter even got underway.

• Site Moderator

I'm sitting in the jury pool room waiting to see if my number gets called to head up to a courtroom so I have to pay attention, somewhat. I'll deal with messages here but I'll wait until the process slows down to reply to reviews.

Dr. P said he thought this was a transitional chapter and in a way he is correct. I wanted to get Brett and CJ back on good terms, I needed to introduce a couple new characters, and I had the Furballs to work into the story to match their own little tale.. AIDS walk happened to coincide with the band's appearance @ Rogo's and it fit nicely with the theme of the storySuch a disparate set of circumstances made it a tad difficult to pick one title that fit the entire chapter. Harley got lucky and I had a chance to create the feeling of a cliffhanger before the chapter even got underway.

Okay. You're forgiven...:).  And what is they say about publicity? Oh, right, there is no bad publicity. Let's just call it a shout out to Harley, shall we?

• Like 1

Okay. You're forgiven... :).  And what is they say about publicity? Oh, right, there is no bad publicity. Let's just call it a shout out to Harley, shall we?

Harley turned out to be completely different from how I first wrote him a year ago. But I've fallen in love with the kid. Gotta love his zest for life and his rapid fire speech.

• Site Moderator

Harley turned out to be completely different from how I first wrote him a year ago. But I've fallen in love with the kid. Gotta love his zest for life and his rapid fire speech.

I think it's unanimous. Everybody does love this kid - but then again, what's not to love? He may be a hyper little jackrabbit, but he is true, kind and loyal. I don't think he has a mean bone in his body. I totally agree with you, he had the dads' seal of approval.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator

1810 forgave you quite easily.. My heart was in my throat when Brett picked CJ up from school.. Had me scrolling through the chapter for I'm pending disaster!! Not fun... 

And yeah, Harley is a Gem... 

Sorry about that Def. if it's any consolation, I had that feeling of dread too. So so glad it was unfounded.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

Me, too. Scrolled right down, then started over. As a parent, this is a really, really tough thing to get right - and I hope CJ someday gets to understand how a protective, parent feels. It's hard for a parent - any parent - to grasp that their beloved child has a sexual dimension, and that can get expressed in overprotectiveness, anger, smothering structure, and so on, and so on. I kind of waited for Brett to help CJ see things from his point of view. Maybe later.

• Like 1

Me, too. Scrolled right down, then started over. As a parent, this is a really, really tough thing to get right - and I hope CJ someday gets to understand how a protective, parent feels. It's hard for a parent - any parent - to grasp that their beloved child has a sexual dimension, and that can get expressed in overprotectiveness, anger, smothering structure, and so on, and so on. I kind of waited for Brett to help CJ see things from his point of view. Maybe later.

I think Brett missed out on the 'teaching moment' with the emotional outburst. He and Cesar got it right when CJ went home with a stranger before, they (Cesar took the lead) were calm, explained their reasoning, offered alternatives, and CJ understood. They needed to repair the fractured relationship this time around. We still don't know how forthcoming CJ will be in the future, but if you're trying to raise an honest responsible child, you can't go nuts on him when he does exactly as you asked. Particularly with a kid who's smart and hasn't given them any problems we're aware of. Brett's smart. He knows he screwed up, not by caring, but in the way he showed it. I'm certain he'll have other opportunites to guide CJ's behavior in the future and next time He'll remember what happened when he blew up at the kid.

• Site Moderator

I think Brett missed out on the 'teaching moment' with the emotional outburst. He and Cesar got it right when CJ went home with a stranger before, they (Cesar took the lead) were calm, explained their reasoning, offered alternatives, and CJ understood. They needed to repair the fractured relationship this time around. We still don't know how forthcoming CJ will be in the future, but if you're trying to raise an honest responsible child, you can't go nuts on him when he does exactly as you asked. Particularly with a kid who's smart and hasn't given them any problems we're aware of. Brett's smart. He knows he screwed up, not by caring, but in the way he showed it. I'm certain he'll have other opportunities to guide CJ's behavior in the future and next time He'll remember what happened when he blew up at the kid.

I think we have to cut some slack here for Brett. From what we know, this is the first time a situation like this has arisen. It's no wonder then that he didn't get all the bases covered. I'm not saying I would like to see this type of thing happen again just so Brett has more "practice" to get it right, but I think there will be other times that Brett will be able to express his growth as a parent, so all sides of an issue get covered.

Brett and Cesar both, seem to be almost perfect in their handling of so many things, but we know they are not. It will be learning curve for us all as we watch them grow as parents and as the de facto leaders of their family, the elite ?what number, and the various others that will become part of their "gang" - kids and adults alike. 

• Like 1

I think we have to cut some slack here for Brett. From what we know, this is the first time a situation like this has arisen. It's no wonder then that he didn't get all the bases covered. I'm not saying I would like to see this type of thing happen again just so Brett has more "practice" to get it right, but I think there will be other times that Brett will be able to express his growth as a parent, so all sides of an issue get covered.

Brett and Cesar both, seem to be almost perfect in their handling of so many things, but we know they are not. It will be learning curve for us all as we watch them grow as parents and as the de facto leaders of their family, the elite ?what number, and the various others that will become part of their "gang" - kids and adults alike. 

Wholeheartedly agree. If anything, Brett's reaction is due to his caring so much about the kid. Being a military man may have had something to do with it too.I think all CJ saw was an adult jumping all over his shit for doing what he thought he was supposed to do. The reasons behind the outburst were lost on the kid. So we had a 15 yo kid who's all excited about getting lain, secure in the knowledge he followed his dads previous admonitions about sex with strangers, and an over protective marine just learning how to be a parent. One little spark and the kindling caught on fire.

On a separate note:

I wonder if anyone we know is there this weekend!

http://bbcm.org/en/black-and-blue/

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 1

We also have to remember - for a short time they were only very part time parents. Vaca's don't let you learn a whole lot of the day to day stuff.  Most of us parents get to start out with the easy stuff - feeding and diapering etc and work our way up to the teen stuff. Cesar and Brett got teen dropped in their laps.  They may have been very happy it happened, but that doesn't mean they were in any way prepared for it!

• Like 2

As long as they keep talking about it - really talking, and not joking around the edges - it will work out okay. These characters have too much invested in one another for it to be otherwise. But maybe this experience will help them work things out before another event happens.

• Like 1

I have to say, I appreciated the boys talking about Jose Maria's crush on CJ and his total dismissal of the idea of a relationship with him. I felt like Iike that was written just for me, since I'd just questioned that whole scenario in my review last week.

Ok, gotta say something...

Everybody seems to love CJ, he seems to charm all the peers and adults he comes into contact with, with a few notable exceptions. He sometimes almost seems too perfect. From my point of view he borders on Mary Sue territory. Or is that Gary Stu? Eh forgive me for referencing tvtropes. Anyway, as much as I hate to say this, I'd like to see CJ struggle a bit more, run into some adversity beyond just your standard homophobic douche bags. Find somebody who he doesn't get along with but isn't just hating him out of hand due to blind bigotry. A sympathetic villan maybe? Or perhaps he'll pick a fight with the wrong person, someone better at fighting than him. Not that I want to see CJ really hurt or anything.

This was just something that crossed my mind when it was remarked at the AIDS walk that he was again the center of attention. I had to agree that does seem to happen a little too much.

Anyway just some thoughts I was having.

Edited by spikey582
  • Like 1

We also have to remember - for a short time they were only very part time parents. Vaca's don't let you learn a whole lot of the day to day stuff.  Most of us parents get to start out with the easy stuff - feeding and diapering etc and work our way up to the teen stuff. Cesar and Brett got teen dropped in their laps.  They may have been very happy it happened, but that doesn't mean they were in any way prepared for it!

Absolutely correct, Kitt. Not only is the parenting experience new for the two fathers, but CJ finds himself in an entirely different situation than the one he was in back in Miami. Col & Mrs. Dichead may not have been abusive on a day to day basis, but indications are they weren't the most involved/loving parents. Cesar and Brett have gone all in for their kid, their 'quiet' weekend alone was clear indication of it. The three of them have a learning curve to deal with.

As long as they keep talking about it - really talking, and not joking around the edges - it will work out okay. These characters have too much invested in one another for it to be otherwise. But maybe this experience will help them work things out before another event happens.

The story certainly doesn't cover every interaction between CJ and his dads 'on camera'. There have been several serious conversations despicted in the story so far, and some referenced as having taken place--overconfidence comes to mind. However, an important interaction doesn't necessarily call for long faces. The characters were conceived, and hopefully are being portrayed, as easy going individuals. The relaxed banter between them is a trademark of their relationship and humor is an integral part of it. Whenever something important is being discussed, the chances are good at some point there will be laughter involved.

• Like 1

I have to say, I appreciated the boys talking about Jose Maria's crush on CJ and his total dismissal of the idea of a relationship with him. I felt like Iike that was written just for me, since I'd just questioned that whole scenario in my review last week.

Ok, gotta say something...

Everybody seems to love CJ, he seems to charm all the peers and adults he comes into contact with, with a few notable exceptions. He sometimes almost seems too perfect. From my point of view he borders on Mary Sue territory. Or is that Gary Stu? Eh forgive me for referencing tvtropes. Anyway, as much as I hate to say this, I'd like to see CJ struggle a bit more, run into some adversity beyond just your standard homophobic douche bags. Find somebody who he doesn't get along with but isn't just hating him out of hand due to blind bigotry. A sympathetic villan maybe? Or perhaps he'll pick a fight with the wrong person, someone better at fighting than him. Not that I want to see CJ really hurt or anything.

This was just something that crossed my mind when it was remarked at the AIDS walk that he was again the center of attention. I had to agree that does seem to happen a little too much.

Anyway just some thoughts I was having.

Spikey, your comments are noted and acknowledged. I'm unable to address specifics, can't give away what's coming, but I'll try a couple of general remarks.

1. The story's not being written on a weekly basis and rushed to 'print'. Each chapter goes through several rounds of edit/beta reading before a final product is loaded onto GA. Your previous week's comments made me smile but I hade to sidestep them since I knew I was dealing with some of it in the current installment. FYI, Autumn is completely written, the final chapter needs 2 more reads before being finalized. Winter's outlined in detail and some of it is written. Spring, Summer 2014, and Junior Year are outlined. There's a lot more coming, as long as readers express an interest.

2. As of this chapter, CJ has been in Washington for less than 6 months. I'm walking a fine line between creating sufficient drama and keeping it somewhat realistic. The boy's had plenty happen to him in that time period. He's a good kid, chances are he's not going to get into a lot of trouble. I've based a lot of him on half a dozen teens I've been involved with over the past ten years. Their behavior, and that of their parents, serve as a basis for CJ, Brett, and Cesar. The theme behind the initial 2 books was meant to be bullying/homophobia. I don't plan on beating a dead horse forever.

3. CJ is the center of the universe I've created, the other characters will revolve around him. At the same time, those other characters (over 100 at last count although many will never return) will provide some of the drama required to retain some sort of interest. Potus shooting which led to his kids coming into the picture, the death of Adriano's wife. King and Dragon dealing with drugs and sex. Plus more to come.

Is that enough for now to keep you reading?

Can't wait for CJ to address a Christmas card to "Col. And Mrs. Dickhead."  LOL. 

I think the chances of those two getting a christmas card are pretty slim. As a matter of fact, :X

Oh no worries bud, I'll still be reading week-to-week. Once a story grabs my interest I will pretty much stick with it to the end. There's very few I'll abandon in the middle of the read and that's usually if the writing quality just totally drops. You're a talented writer, so you keep me interested. Personally the Dragon/King stuff has been the most interesting to me these last few chapters, and I would have loved more of that, but I would never beg for more than you give. The protagonist is CJ, so he should definitely dominate the story.

I also appreciate that you don't try to go off on three or four crazy plot points and make the story all melodramatic. It seems like a lot of writers tend to go off on insane tangents with some of their stories, where a guy comes out at school or something and pretty soon it's attempted murder, rape, all kinds of craziness all at once. And the police are always totally incapable of catching anyone who is a threat so there can be a dramatic climax and such. I'm glad your story is a little more down to earth.

• Like 1

Oh no worries bud, I'll still be reading week-to-week. Once a story grabs my interest I will pretty much stick with it to the end. There's very few I'll abandon in the middle of the read and that's usually if the writing quality just totally drops. You're a talented writer, so you keep me interested. Personally the Dragon/King stuff has been the most interesting to me these last few chapters, and I would have loved more of that, but I would never beg for more than you give. The protagonist is CJ, so he should definitely dominate the story.

I also appreciate that you don't try to go off on three or four crazy plot points and make the story all melodramatic. It seems like a lot of writers tend to go off on insane tangents with some of their stories, where a guy comes out at school or something and pretty soon it's attempted murder, rape, all kinds of craziness all at once. And the police are always totally incapable of catching anyone who is a threat so there can be a dramatic climax and such. I'm glad your story is a little more down to earth.

I needed that laugh!

Thanks for the compliment, my editor deserves a lot of credit for pushing me and teaching me. As do the Beta readers.

It's tough to balance out all the elements in as complicated a story as I've outlined. Yep, I'm a masochist! The Dragon/King line could have been an entire short story of its own, but I wanted to juggle a few balls keeping CJ as the center of attention. If I stress any of the subplots out too much, he fades into the background. I will always strive to have anything going on affect CJ in some way. Even if it takes a bunch of chapters for it to come to light.

I'll confess to dropping a line here and there which will eventually lead to a scene or more down the line. Dragon and Kings problems were initially set up back in chapter 10 of Summer, when they discussed their lifestyle with CJ. It created some controversy with some readers but it was needed to establish what would come later. Plus I felt it was in character with the type of relationship the adults were establishing with the kid.

Funny thing is I have the final scene of the story all set in my mind. It may take me a couple of years to get there though LOL