Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

The CJ series remain one of my favorite reads. You have a remarkable ensemble of editors and betas and you've gotten better as you continue writing. There are always gonna be little things that slip by, don't sweat them. I'm reading currently rereading Neil Gaiman's American Gods there is an early scene in a motel room where the character examines a cigarette butt in an ashtray problem is that cigarette butt had been thrown out an open window several paragraphs earlier. I worked previously as a proofreader and production editor, I know what goes into copy editing manuscript. He had two teams of editors and copy editors, one in the UK the other here in the states and still. Little things don't bother me. What does are continuity in the plot and characters, the use of correct language and a reasonable grasp of basic grammar.  You're doing fine.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

The CJ series remain one of my favorite reads. You have a remarkable ensemble of editors and betas and you've gotten better as you continue writing. There are always gonna be little things that slip by, don't sweat them. I'm reading currently rereading Neil Gaiman's American Gods there is an early scene in a motel room where the character examines a cigarette butt in an ashtray problem is that cigarette butt had been thrown out an open window several paragraphs earlier. I worked previously as a proofreader and production editor, I know what goes into copy editing manuscript. He had two teams of editors and copy editors, one in the UK the other here in the states and still. Little things don't bother me. What does are continuity in the plot and characters, the use of correct language and a reasonable grasp of basic grammar.  You're doing fine.

Pefectly said Dugh. When big things are changed I wonder if the author just forgot or is deliberately changing things to suit a current storyline. With the instance I am thinking of, the new direction has no relevance to the current goings on. This make me think the author forgot a key part of his storyboard or disregarded it entirely which to me is clearly disrespecting his readers. 

If this were to happen in CJ, I would see it as an oops, that is for sure...haven't come across an oops as yet, though. :)

• Like 1

Pefectly said Dugh. When big things are changed I wonder if the author just forgot or is deliberately changing things to suit a current storyline. With the instance I am thinking of, the new direction has no relevance to the current goings on. This make me think the author forgot a key part of his storyboard or disregarded it entirely which to me is clearly disrespecting his readers. 

If this were to happen in CJ, I would see it as an oops, that is for sure...haven't come across an oops as yet, though. :)

Thank you both!

Now I'm curious about what story 1810's talking about. I try to learn from what other authors do. Emulate what I like and avoid what I don't Earlier today I mentioned to Kitt something about an author having a great idea but then using it so often it not only lost it's appeal but became distracting. (Yeah, I know I repeat the t-shirts, but it's been a different one each chapter LOL)

As for any oops you may encounter in my writing, I urge you not to let it slip by. Tell me about it! I'm not ashamed of making mistakes, as along as I learn from them. Ask Mann or Kitt, I can take it. They sure as hell let me know when something I send them sucks! :D

I like the t-shirt thing. It's a character quirk and helps establish him as a person. I read a story a few years ago in which the youngest brother, an 11 year-old, was known for his tee's. They always had something smart-assed or slightly risque about them. They helped set his personality.

• Like 3

I like the t-shirt thing. It's a character quirk and helps establish him as a person. I read a story a few years ago in which the youngest brother, an 11 year-old, was known for his tee's. They always had something smart-assed or slightly risque about them. They helped set his personality.

With as large a cast as I foresaw, I wanted to give each character his own idiosyncracies to help differentiate them a bit. I hate reading stories where everyone sounds the same. The t-shirts came about because I wanted CJ to at least start off being as average a teen as possible, and because of my own addiction to them LOL They're easy to get on and off, specially when the weather's nice and you want to walk oaround bare chested.

• Like 3

"and because of my own addiction to them"

You're addicted to t-shirts? Really?  :P 

Here I thought all those photos were from Nordstrom!

I own all those and more lol

But the majority are Harley shirts. I used to buy one at each dealership I visited. Ran out of room in my dresser, built a new one and filled that one up too. Now I buy one from one dealership in each new country or state I visit only!

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I don't believe it! Yesterday, I knew Winter was coming so why am I surprised to see it in my Notifications list this morning... :/

Oh well, momentary lapse, I guess and it was a nice  :wizard:  :wizard: surprise on this dreary Friday morning. :yes: :yes: it was....

• Like 1

I don't believe it! Yesterday, I knew Winter was coming so why am I surprised to see it in my Notifications list this morning... :/

Oh well, momentary lapse, I guess and it was a nice  :wizard:  :wizard: surprise on this dreary Friday morning. :yes: :yes: it was....

LOL

I'm glad those notification things work. My inbox sometimes gets so cluttered I miss some. You would have figured it out sooner or later :P

"But Defiance lost its virginity. I was able to get in a little over an hour’s worth of practice.”  

YEP, sounds about right! I just don't remember having that convo with you Carlos..  :*) 

:rofl:

Can you tell I was thinking of you when I worte that line? Did you notice my mistake? I figured it out after I'd posted the chapter, but I'm terrified of editing something before it gets published. It has led to screwy things happening in the past. I figure I'll correct it after enough people have read it in case something else gets pointed out to me.

• Like 1

Can you tell I was thinking of you when I worte that line? Did you notice my mistake? I figured it out after I'd posted the chapter, but I'm terrified of editing something before it gets published. It has led to screwy things happening in the past. I figure I'll correct it after enough people have read it in case something else gets pointed out to me.

Lol.. I figured this was a good way to point it out.. geting to the review in a bit.. 

• Like 1

So, you got in an hour of practice the first time? LOL

All that practice got me a 29 yr old, so what can I say.. Tmi?  <_< lol.. 

Ok so I missed one little apostrophe. Where is the missing t in getting?

Umm.. In the teapot? *sprints out of the forum*  :blink:

TMI? What's that? The call letters for the old classical music radio station in Miami were WTMI, unfortunately it was sold and I think they're no playing urban music. In my book, there's no such thing as WTMI!

A 29 yo? Really? Damn! Is he a redhead? I mean we know your taste by now LOL

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

"But Defiance lost its virginity. I was able to get in a little over an hour’s worth of practice.”  

YEP, sounds about right! I just don't remember having that convo with you Carlos..  :*) 

Oh no... :rofl:  :rofl: was my response. As for the conversations that followed TMI for this  0:)

Please forgive me being pedantic. Personal peeve: This is not a forum, this is a discussion thread for CJ, with the Stories Discussion Forum. Only a few Signature Authors have individual forums for themselves. It drive's me nuts when I see authors ask readers to post in the story discussion forum. I figure if they're that careless and don't pay attention... I'll bite my tongue here.

Hours worth. Hour was not a contraction and did not own the practice.

ooops for Defiance vs Defiant and oooops for hour's

At most you'd get 25% of the blame since there were 4 sets of eyes on the chapter (all more than once) before it was released to the public. Of course, 100% of it rests on my shoulders, I was the idiot who wrote it!