Return With Honor By Cynus

Interesting article about the stone, but this is about  "Return With Honor."

After reading Chapter 5, I think I have sorted the characters:

Elder Hadley [Jason] A 'died in the wool', 'straight-laced' creation of the Church. He is putting his time in so that he can return an continue his life as a faithful adult of the Church.

Elder Knight [Chris] The outsider. A convert who brings in his experiences from other than the 'Church' and is the foil to Jason's orthodoxy.

Elder Phillips [Luke] The rebel. He knows and accepts who and what he is and is looking to get away from the strictures of the Church for a time.

Elder Dumont [Gary] In denial of his true self. He is using the mission to try and resolve the conflict between what he feels and the teachings of the Church.

Of course, it is likely that I am way off base about characters but the one thing I learned in reading Cynus's other novels and the "Logan and Seth Series", expect the unexpected.

Oh well... on to the next chapter.

• Like 2

Interesting article about the stone, but this is about  "Return With Honor."

After reading Chapter 5, I think I have sorted the characters:

Elder Hadley [Jason] A 'died in the wool', 'straight-laced' creation of the Church. He is putting his time in so that he can return an continue his life as a faithful adult of the Church.

Elder Knight [Chris] The outsider. A convert who brings in his experiences from other than the 'Church' and is the foil to Jason's orthodoxy.

Elder Phillips [Luke] The rebel. He knows and accepts who and what he is and is looking to get away from the strictures of the Church for a time.

Elder Dumont [Gary] In denial of his true self. He is using the mission to try and resolve the conflict between what he feels and the teachings of the Church.

Of course, it is likely that I am way off base about characters but the one thing I learned in reading Cynus's other novels and the "Logan and Seth Series", expect the unexpected.

Oh well... on to the next chapter.

I'd say your descriptions of the characters are spot on. :) Thank you for posting this. While I've tried to think of a way to sum up the characters' personalities, like a synopsis I always seem to fall short. This is beautifully put together and seems to fit what I had just fine. 

I'd like to say that I'll keep you guessing, but this was written very differently than most of my past works, and so I'm not sure I'll live up to expectations. :)

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I'd say your descriptions of the characters are spot on. :) Thank you for posting this. While I've tried to think of a way to sum up the characters' personalities, like a synopsis I always seem to fall short. This is beautifully put together and seems to fit what I had just fine. 

I'd like to say that I'll keep you guessing, but this was written very differently than most of my past works, and so I'm not sure I'll live up to expectations. :)

Don't worry about "living up to expectations" Cynus. This story is actually an interesting lesson for readers not schooled in the ways of Mormonism. The characters actions are tempered by that association so it's an interesting viewpoint for us. For me, that's what has caught my attention in this story. 

PS. I'm a little behind in my reviewing/commenting...I have two coming your way, hopefully, sooner rather than later. Not to mention my Like machine is broken again. 

• Like 1

Out of the four, I really identify with Luke :) At least in terms of beliefs. While I am not an atheist, I do happen to be very atheistic or at the very least agnostic (it's still much of a transitional time for me). So in that regard, I can easily see myself in his shoes.

Lastly, I want to say is how much I love Gary, Chris, Jason, and Luke :D

• Like 1

Don't worry about "living up to expectations" Cynus. This story is actually an interesting lesson for readers not schooled in the ways of Mormonism. The characters actions are tempered by that association so it's an interesting viewpoint for us. For me, that's what has caught my attention in this story. 

PS. I'm a little behind in my reviewing/commenting...I have two coming your way, hopefully, sooner rather than later. Not to mention my Like machine is broken again. 

Don't worry, I understand. I should have realized from the beginning that this story would have a more selective audience. Religion and the LGBT community don't have the greatest of history. :( Not that this story is meant to be supportive of religion in any way, it's simply based on a former part of my life which was a struggle for me with my sexuality. I'm glad you and a number of others have found that interesting. 

Out of the four, I really identify with Luke :) At least in terms of beliefs. While I am not an atheist, I do happen to be very atheistic or at the very least agnostic (it's still much of a transitional time for me). So in that regard, I can easily see myself in his shoes.

Lastly, I want to say is how much I love Gary, Chris, Jason, and Luke :D

If you'd ever like to have a discussion about religion, Drew, I'd be happy to help you sort through your beliefs. :) I don't offer that as a means of opening me up to press my beliefs on you, I'm just willing to be a listening ear. I've run the gambit on religious beliefs in my life, from being raised Mormon, to claiming atheism in middle school and Buddhist in high school, returning to the Mormon church around the end of my senior year, leaving it again after my mission and becoming agnostic until finally settling on Taoism when I was 23. :) I've studied a lot, but the one thing I've learned for certain is that it doesn't matter your beliefs as long as you treat others with respect and dignity, and you do your best to be good as you see good to be.

Cynus, I didn't realize I have not posted a review for chapter 6 :*) I'll fix that today :)

No worries. :)

If you'd ever like to have a discussion about religion, Drew, I'd be happy to help you sort through your beliefs. :) I don't offer that as a means of opening me up to press my beliefs on you, I'm just willing to be a listening ear. I've run the gambit on religious beliefs in my life, from being raised Mormon, to claiming atheism in middle school and Buddhist in high school, returning to the Mormon church around the end of my senior year, leaving it again after my mission and becoming agnostic until finally settling on Taoism when I was 23. :) I've studied a lot, but the one thing I've learned for certain is that it doesn't matter your beliefs as long as you treat others with respect and dignity, and you do your best to be good as you see good to be.

I'll keep that in mind Cynus :hug:

• Like 1

The integration of religion with one's factual existence often leaves the participant either disappointed or ecstatic. Or perhaps simply badly bruised. What every developing person needs is safe people from whom one can expect respect and careful listening, love and acceptance. There are excellent people out there trying to rescue God from fundamentalism. Maybe t he centra four characters in Return will discover this.

• Like 1

The integration of religion with one's factual existence often leaves the participant either disappointed or ecstatic. Or perhaps simply badly bruised. What every developing person needs is safe people from whom one can expect respect and careful listening, love and acceptance. There are excellent people out there trying to rescue God from fundamentalism. Maybe t he centra four characters in Return will discover this.

I agree with this sentiment. My siblings and I started a book club, and this past month we were reading a book by Rabbi Johnathan Sacks titled "The Great Partnership". It's about how people need both religion and science in their lives in order to A) be able to take things apart and see how they work and B) to put things together and see what they mean. I think the type of atmosphere you're referring to, where one has respect, careful listening, love and acceptance, is one found in places where people forget the dogma of either religion or science and learn to live according to how things work and what things mean. Love and knowledge are the two greatest forces in the universe, the former, I feel, comes mainly from a spiritual center, while the later comes mainly from a secular center.

At least, that's my take on things.

A question for all my readers, however. I'm curious what your opinions are of Chris, and the route he's taken so far. On the one hand, he's supporting his friends' sexuality, but on the other hand, he's against them expressing it, not out of bigotry but out of the need to adhere to the rules which they all agreed to follow for two years. 

The good Dr. noted that Chris is "the steadying force of the group", however, I'm curious as to how everyone sees the potential consequences of Chris attempting to keep everything steady. Everything he's done so far has been a judgment call based off of his own intuition. How long do you think he'll be able to keep things steady before one side tips the scales and he's no longer able to balance them back out with his rationalizations? Do you think he will crack?

• Like 1

In all honesty, I know that Gary and Luke will do there best to be professional with each other, but they will crack eventually. So I think Chris's break will stem from them. I get that he wants everyone to follow the rules of the mission, but he needs to realize that not everyone can be perfect and will fall short of expectations. Overall, I think they will crack sometime in South Korea, I just don't know when.

I hope that answers your questions Cynus ^_^

Now, I am really hoping that Gary will listen to what Chris has to say, he needs to know that Chris has no issue with his sexuality and wants everyone to follow the rules and guidelines.

PS: Cynus, I just saw your status, I wish I could help but I am unable to specifically point out the technical issues of a chapter or story overall. :)

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

PS: Cynus, I just saw your status, I wish I could help but I am unable to specifically point out the technical issues of a chapter or story overall. :)

That's okay, Drew. :) Someone did give me a detailed response, which come to think of it I still haven't responded to.  :facepalm:

I'm thinking of creating a contest for my loyal readership, with the prize being some sort of writing, like a personalized short story/poem... Any suggestions from anyone reading this thread for what I could offer?

• 2 weeks later...

Cynus, Return With Honor is a beautiful story, I really enjoyed the ride :)

Goodnight :hug: Tomorrow I'll start on your other stories :thumbup::D

Thank you, Drew. :D You're my favorite spawnling, I'll have you know. If you'd like any recommendations let me know.  :thumbup:

Thank you, Drew. :D You're my favorite spawnling, I'll have you know. If you'd like any recommendations let me know.  :thumbup:

Hey Cynus :hug: I just began Logan and Seth :) and I realized it is set in Sanitaria Springs, do I need to read anything from Dabeagle before book 1?

• Like 1

Hey Cynus :hug: I just began Logan and Seth :) and I realized it is set in Sanitaria Springs, do I need to read anything from Dabeagle before book 1?

No, you should be all right. His story Dreamcatcher should be read after Teammates and before Underdogs, however.

Cynus, I just finished with Logan and Seth :) I'll start reviews tomorrow. I will say this as a preview: I love it!!! :D

Yay! I'm excited to find out what your thoughts were.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished reading this story a couple of weeks ago, but the subsequent statements of the LDS church on gays have brought my mind back to it. The new rules ostracizing the children of Mormon parents in a same-sex relationship until they (1) reach the age of majority and then (2) denounce their parents' relationship put me in mind of Chris's situation in your story. Almost all the reading of the news articles I did was filtered by memories of your story. Congratulations on telling a tale that's not only a good story, but very timely.

See, for example, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/us/gay-mormons-distressed-by-new-rules-on-same-sex-relationships.html

--Rigel

• Like 1

I finished reading this story a couple of weeks ago, but the subsequent statements of the LDS church on gays have brought my mind back to it. The new rules ostracizing the children of Mormon parents in a same-sex relationship until they (1) reach the age of majority and then (2) denounce their parents' relationship put me in mind of Chris's situation in your story. Almost all the reading of the news articles I did was filtered by memories of your story. Congratulations on telling a tale that's not only a good story, but very timely.

See, for example, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/us/gay-mormons-distressed-by-new-rules-on-same-sex-relationships.html

--Rigel

I wish I could say that it wasn't timely. This past week has brought my own mind back to this story as well, and especially to Chris. He'd never denounce his parents, which is what they require children of same-sex marriages to do now, and so he'd definitely leave the church now.

And he'd be so upset at the bigotry, and the ignorance... I normally see my characters as ghosts, but recently Chris has been as alive as anyone ever has. This new policy would also make Gary leave the church.

It's a sad, sad reality.

Thank you for the review. I'm glad the story stuck with you, even if it was brought back to you by such unfortunate news.  :)

Interesting article, too. I've heard far too many stories like this over the past few days, and some of them I've known personally. The amount of exmormon gay friends I have became very apparent recently, as we all spoke up about this.

• 2 months later...