"But seeing the man in between him and Hugh brings a surprised gasp from me."

LOL, I thought it was going to be Ben! Because apparently, I like drama of the soap opera variety. :0)

Ohhh, Ben would have been an even better surprise, but I'm afraid poor Colin would have been driven to distraction if he had to deal with his ex, an amorous Kit, and a pissed-off Ben at the same time. :o

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

"But seeing the man in between him and Hugh brings a surprised gasp from me."

LOL, I thought it was going to be Ben! Because apparently, I like drama of the soap opera variety. :0)

I thought it was going to be Ben too. Glad I'm not alone in that....the big question now is, what on earth is he doing there?

• Site Moderator

Ohhh, Ben would have been an even better surprise, but I'm afraid poor Colin would have been driven to distraction if he had to deal with his ex, an amorous Kit, and a pissed-off Ben at the same time. :o

Tim, I'm stumped, do you have any theories as to why Martin is at Overton House?

• Like 1

My guess is Martin saw something on Colin's computer that just made everything clear to him. He's come to confront someone, perhaps by mistake Colin, and that will put him in serious danger. Cue Ben and everything comes to a head...

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

My guess is Martin saw something on Colin's computer that just made everything clear to him. He's come to confront someone, perhaps by mistake Colin, and that will put him in serious danger. Cue Ben and everything comes to a head...

I didn't think of something being on the computer - obviously...I think that is a sound theory. I wonder if Brian will give us a hint?

• Like 1

Hi Tim and Reader1810 (and all readers of KTD),

I have to say, having Ben turn up would have been a nice twist. But that's a little premature yet, because everything Colin thinks he knows (and Ben, come to that) is pure speculation right now. Well, for the next few pages, anyway.

Clue About Martin: What does Martin know about Colin that neither Vaughan, Hugh nor Derek know? :o Something urgent enough to bring him out there.

BTW - I'm furiously finishing the next chapter (which will explain why Martin's there) and should be ready by tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Clue About Martin: What does Martin know about Colin that neither Vaughan, Hugh nor Derek know? :o Something urgent enough to bring him out there.

BTW - I'm furiously finishing the next chapter (which will explain why Martin's there) and should be ready by tomorrow. 

Martin knows Colin is considering a job in South America. I'm sure there are other things too, but that's the one which comes to mind.

Colin stupidly left the pink stick in his computer, so Martin could have seen it and perhaps recognized something. On the other hand his excuse about wanting to print something was rather flimsy, so I'm wondering if he was snooping around. :unsure:

If you need any editing, Brian, I'm ready to help.

• Like 3

By the way, in order to avoid a continuity error in the next chapter, I had to add the following paragraph to the end of chapter 27 - Home Truths:

"While I sit in the car with the engine idling, mulling over whether the graffiti and dumpster could indeed be a coincidence, Derek walks up and down outside making a call to Hugh to let him know we are on our way."

:rolleyes: Heavens, it's the simple things that let you down sometimes!!
  • Site Moderator

By the way, in order to avoid a continuity error in the next chapter, I had to add the following paragraph to the end of chapter 27 - Home Truths:

"While I sit in the car with the engine idling, mulling over whether the graffiti and dumpster could indeed be a coincidence, Derek walks up and down outside making a call to Hugh to let him know we are on our way."

:rolleyes: Heavens, it's the simple things that let you down sometimes!!

It takes a lot of work to put together a great story. Your efforts are appreciated tenfold by your many readers. :)

• Like 1

This is in regard to a comment from Timothy M. on the "Dinner at Eight" chapter. Wanted to explain myself. From the chapter:

" ... I feel certain the phone in my pocket buzzes. While genial conversation hums around me, I pull the device into my lap but stare at a blank screen. Swallowing hard, I shove the phone back in my pocket and reach for my wine glass."

I read this as Colin felt a buzz, pulled out the phone, but didn't actually click to see what the text was. Earlier he had pulled out the phone and stared at the screen without doing anything. In my mind, that's what he did again: inaction when he had a chance to act. He swallowed hard and put the phone away instead of clicking to read the text. Does that make sense? I don't know if other readers would have that confusion. I would think most people would have to click at least once to see a text or missed call, esp. if they didn't pull out their phone right away.

• Like 1

I read this as Colin felt a buzz, pulled out the phone, but didn't actually click to see what the text was.

Ahh, my phone shows if there is a new text or else the screen is blank. But it's an old model. Hmm, we may have to ask Brian, but I'm fairly sure there was no text from Ben. It was not something I questioned when editing, though, so I could be wrong.

• Site Moderator

This is in regard to a comment from Timothy M. on the "Dinner at Eight" chapter. Wanted to explain myself. From the chapter:

" ... I feel certain the phone in my pocket buzzes. While genial conversation hums around me, I pull the device into my lap but stare at a blank screen. Swallowing hard, I shove the phone back in my pocket and reach for my wine glass."

I read this as Colin felt a buzz, pulled out the phone, but didn't actually click to see what the text was. Earlier he had pulled out the phone and stared at the screen without doing anything. In my mind, that's what he did again: inaction when he had a chance to act. He swallowed hard and put the phone away instead of clicking to read the text. Does that make sense? I don't know if other readers would have that confusion. I would think most people would have to click at least once to see a text or missed call, esp. if they didn't pull out their phone right away

Ahh, my phone shows if there is a new text or else the screen is blank. But it's an old model. Hmm, we may have to ask Brian, but I'm fairly sure there was no text from Ben. It was not something I questioned when editing, though, so I could be wrong.

My my phone shows I have a text when it is in the lock screen. But I think it's automatically set to do that - not really a tester, so don't know how one might change the settings.

I think you're right Tim. It was implied that there wasn't a text - much to Colin's disappointment, I believe...

• Site Moderator

I'm not able to comment on anything else, since I've seen the next chapter.  :X

Not fair Tim! 

I do like drp's idea of Ben waiting at Colin's to surprise Tomas. That could prove to very interesting.

• Like 3

I sometimes feel a phantom buzz from my phone, pull it out and there's nothing. So I thought Colin wanted a text from Ben.

Kit is acting weird with his hanging around in their room... Alone... What is he up to? I don't want to think he's a bad guy (even if I'm kind of in favour of Ben...), but there is something not right. Or at least secret.

• Like 2

My my phone shows I have a text when it is in the lock screen. But I think it's automatically set to do that - not really a tester, so don't know how one might change the settings.

I think you're right Tim. It was implied that there wasn't a text - much to Colin's disappointment, I believe...

Ok, looks like it's just me! I think what threw me was Colin looking at the blank screen before and refusing to use it.

I know that it's frustrating and nearly unbelieveable what Colin does at times. I see it as his own disbelief that the things going on are actually going to include him. Much like those horror movies where everyone in the theatre wants to yell "don't answer the phone".

Many of us were certain Martin's appearrance was an ill thing and yet ...

I'm just curious to see what twist Brian has in the next chapter.

• Like 1

I know that it's frustrating and nearly unbelieveable what Colin does at times. I see it as his own disbelief that the things going on are actually going to include him. Much like those horror movies where everyone in the theatre wants to yell "don't answer the phone".

I asked that in my review... Do we trust Martin? Are we buying that neatly packaged story? To have him randomly show up as a red herring to distract us is something the Author might do.. I am Sooo curious..

• Site Moderator

Good point dugh. I think it may also  be that Colin is a good guy and hasn't ever been exposed to anything that is truly dastardly. 

I mean he put up with Denny's drunken behaviour at the pub with a fair amount of good grace. Sure, they had a previous spat, but there might not have been a lot to that anyway. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2

I am Sooo curious..

well, if it's any comfort, I've done my editing duty for at least one more chapter. All I can say is brace yourselves. :o :X:whistle:

Good Night   :yawn:  :sleep:

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

well, if it's any comfort, I've done my editing duty for at least one more chapter. All I can say is brace yourselves. :o  :X:whistle:

well, if it's any comfort, I've done my editing duty for at least one more chapter. All I can say is brace yourselves. :o  :X:whistle:

:o Look!! Even my tablet is so shocked by your cavalier attitude towards our need to know that it doubled my quote.

You need to redeem yourself mister editor! J/k. Somehow we will survive the wait.....:(:no:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
  • Site Moderator

I was puzzled by gee's reference to the unread text. To me it was clear that Colin was simply wanting a text and imagining it. If I don't physically acknowledge a text, my phone will continue to alert me it is there.

From Tim's comment it looks like the walk through the woods isn't going to be a tame affair. At least we know it has been edited and is pending.

• Like 2

Hi there - yes, Tim. The screen was blank. No message. No missed call. Not even any comforting words from Siri :P  I'll go back and make that clear. At this point Colin is desperate to know what's going on, while knowing he is helpless to do anything about it. 

• Like 2

Hi there - yes, Tim. The screen was blank. No message. No missed call. Not even any comforting words from Siri :P I'll go back and make that clear. At this point Colin is desperate to know what's going on, while knowing he is helpless to do anything about it.