Parker, in the review section you keep mentioning remaining chapters, as if the story will end soon. According to the first lines in the story there are two journals, and Andy still seems to be writing in the first one.

Ambrose arriving was a surprise, but at least he called him Eric, not Stephan, so at least he hasn't made that connection. The question now is, is he Ambrose the detective or Ambrose the nagged son of a worried Eustace? And we have to wait!

If they get married before Mama Costanza can get there, ouch.

• Like 2

I suggest we have a vote on favourite phrases of the chapters...

(at least poor non - native-English-speakers like me might get puns etc. that way...

sorry, but some of your last posts showed me that I am out of my depth...

My favourites from chapter 58: 

1. they understood each other even though miles and weeks separated their understanding...
  2. Anger and anguish swirled inside me, and I had no way to separate them.              a glimpse back to Andy needing help, yet far more secure and himself
  3. "Then let's go inside and tell me about it," my new uncle grinned.            Family reunion for real
  4. "It's in the journal," Zander said, quietly.          like: And it was so. (Genesis, Bible)
  5. "So Dad had killed my mom; and Ray had given Dad an out."            He wasn't there, but he knew, and he knew he had been sold for his uncle's silence
  6. "one wrong word meant pain. Agony."                      no comment
  7. "All those miserable, lonely years. Someone actually cared, and I never knew."           The universe shifts again ...
  8. "You might want to read the note," he said.                        Andy still needs help with people caring...
  9. "a place you can call home"        
  10. "How do you know my son?" Monica challenged.    Monica being protective           
  11. "All clean."            beneath a shirt somebody had lent him...
  12. "It isn't, if you know where you're going,"                         Andy did not know where he was going
  13. ...

a first almost at random selection.. I knwo there are more...

Edited by mayday
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just read the new chapter in A to Z and been rereading some others - actually in order to avoid working and because they bear repeated reading - when something occurred to me and I would like to have your opinion -

I was reading the nightly scene of Andy doing some legal research when I started wondering about places, rooms in Parker's novel:

• the story more or less begins in the cellar, in "hell" as Andy says, in his father's clutches, his self-worth is just as low
  • distance, mountains are crossed, landmarks are followed and lost
  • the hayloft - a place for animals rather than humans - signals that things are moving upwards, Andy has got a job, shows his skills, his character, his stamina and ...
  • he hides - again in a library - in a closet, a place for things nobody needs anymore, as he himself more or less says, where he is still in the closet in practically every sense, hiding whatever he can but he has decided what to do, is not only driven anymore
  • two churches offer him a safe haven for some limited time (I wonder if that will change during the next chapter) but in isolation, still
  • again it is a library, the bookshelves in Garrett's study - the most intellectual room in a house so to speak - where he finds the solution to his problem, but not because somebody wrote it down before him, instead because he himself deduces the solution, in his brain, so to speak. And we are given to understand - albeit jokingly -  that Andy is highly intelligent and can make sense of dense texts, enough to show him a way out of his dependency on others, books and texts release him into maturity, independence, freedom  (Garrett's words: "If you can make sense of half of it, they'll make you a judge") and this time he will tell the judge what to do, namely to allow him to marry
  • the Stevensons' backdoor signals home to him, it is where he had put his presents and where Zander - probably as the nearest way - carried him through into his future home out of the cold
  • his home with the Stevensons is also the place where he finally feels safe enough to set limits to what he will allow others (Frank in this case) to impose on him in terms of traditions (drinking) he can take his own decisions now?
  • The Kasimierskys' house where he is confronted with girls - girls wanting him, girls wanting his boyfriend - which he now (on the night before his wedding) deals with really well (I need to get this in as well as it is in the latest chapter) in a circumspect and very kind manner, but also not giving way or shrinking back.

I am wondering what place the church and the area before the church where he cleared the snow once will be like on the wedding ... am I a pessimist? Maybe...

mayday said: "I am wondering what place the church and the area before the church where he cleared the snow once will be like on the wedding ... am I a pessimist? Maybe..."

If people throw rice, will Andy dig out the shovel and begin clearing the walk again?

Next week, in a final flourish, the last four chapters of A to Z will post on four consecutive days, starting Tuesday, March 8. 

Many thanks to everyone - Parker Owens

Aww ...no one wants to see it end now Andy is on the cusp of happiness. But it's probably the right time to cap his extraordinary odyssey.

We all wish A and Z well! 

Hello, everyone.

Every story has an end. Soon, A to Z will finish. I'd like to thank all of you who took the time to read any part of  A to Z. I especially appreciate everyone who took the time to leave a review. Your comments and reactions were incredibly encouraging and generous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Next week, in a final flourish, the last four chapters of A to Z will post on four consecutive days, starting Tuesday, March 8. 

Things have to end. It's not sad, because it's been a wonderful story, Parker. But I'm sure you have other voices that need release. Congrats on the success of this tale.

tim xo

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I think you've picked a good point to end.  I've enjoyed this story immensely, and I'd hate to see it dragged past its ending point.  I look forward to the final chapters, and what you come up with next. :)  :hug:

• Like 1

Hello, everyone.

Every story has an end. Soon, A to Z will finish. I'd like to thank all of you who took the time to read any part of  A to Z. I especially appreciate everyone who took the time to leave a review. Your comments and reactions were incredibly encouraging and generous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

All good things and all that, but I teared up reading that.. It's been an incredible story Parker, I look forward to how it all ends. Thank You.. 

• Like 1

We all knew the story would have to eventually end and it's been clear the end was coming.  Thank you for bringing us this story and these characters.  I have enjoyed this story and will miss it but I welcome whatever other stories you gift us with in the future.   Thank you.

• Like 1

Only four more chapters, huh?

Well, we have to find out who grandma is and why she's waiting to talk to Andy before the wedding. There has to be at least one chapter on the wedding itself. We need to find out what Zander was doing at school on Friday. We need to meet Garrett's side of the family.

We will also want to hear about Andy and Zander's life after the wedding.

There isn't enough space for a kidnapping! I'm still betting on a honeymoon on Eustace's farm…

And Parker, your photo shows a wiggly arrow traffic sign. But I think the photo should really be be a Crazy Straw. One of those novelty straws that swirls around and crosses over itself! That might match all the twists and turns that Andy has suffered through!

If anyone needs pins for his Parker Owens voodoo doll, it's Andy!

Edited by Former Member

What I want to know is

why is Andy waking up in a cell and not in the arms of his husband the morning after his weddding? :pissed::o

at least, any remaning cliffies should be sorted out quickly next week. ;)

A story without an ending is only half a story. I think it's a good thing to end it now, before it sort of loses direction and turns into some never ending soap. If you want, you can always revisit in a prompt or a short sequel.

• Like 1

A story without an ending is only half a story. I think it's a good thing to end it now, before it sort of loses direction and turns into some never ending soap. If you want, you can always revisit in a prompt or a short sequel.

Well, according to the very first paragraph of chapter one, there's more than one journal.....:-)

• Like 1

If anyone has missed it, the last chapter of A to Z, Chapter 67, posts tomorrow.

I feel quite empty, as if I am losing so many friends. Many thanks to everyone who took the time to read some or all of the story. I surely have appreciated the many encouraging and insightful contributions so many of you have made.

- Parker

I'm a bit annoyed with the author!

How dare you bring this lovely story to an end...

I need a really good set of voodoo dolls that will be tied to the typewriter...

Seriously, thank you, I've really enjoyed watching Andy grow, and find happiness. It's opened my eyes to some things I was oblivious too, and hopefully will make me a better person.

@ Oxala: Thanks for your many kind words of support and encouragement. I am enormously grateful.

@ CrisL:  I am very happy you enjoyed this story. Andy found some peace and blessed us with his story. I am glad A to Z made you think more deeply, too. I appreciate your thoughts. 

-Parker

Haven't left a review yet, things have been distracting today, but loved the epilogue. I'm definitely going to miss these characters, and this story. I'm actually kinda glad that I read it gradually as it was being updated cause I look back and realize it's over 63 chapters. That would have been a major binge read (which I totally would have done).

With the way you ended it, there's definitely potential for some possible sequel stories in the future. Of course I'd say little vignettes or short stories since you tied up so many loose ends up so well in the epilogue. Unless you could think of a suitable sequel story that inspired you, I'd be all for that!

Anyway, thanks for this story Parker, it was epic.

• Like 3