Parker--

Thank you for sharing this story. The test to me of a good story is one I go back to re-read, a year from now or five or ten years from now. Part of the story is so memorable that certain characters or events in their tale work their way into my brain, and I have to go back and re-read that piece, and then get caught up in the entire story again. A to Z is going to be one of those stories for me. 

--Rigel

• Like 4

@ RIgel:  I am delighted you enjoyed the story enough to think it re-readable. If the characters stick with you as they have lingered with me, you will have them a long, long time.

@ Droughtquake: You and I both, brother.

• Like 1

Have been reading "A to Z" for the past few weeks - it's so so good! I only have 8 chapters left. So glad my boyfriend told me about it, and we both think it would make a really great film.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for reading Andy's journal and for posting a comment!  Funny you should say that about a film....several of us idly wondered who to cast in various roles in entries farther back in this thread...

I am humbled and delighted you think so. Hopefully there will be others who think so, too. It isn't hard to imagine all of them in their various lives, which is part of what makes an engaging story fun.

A week or so back, I imagined myself attending Andy's wedding.  I imagined what song I might perform for them, or more realistically, hear performed.  I tried to think of a song that captured the spirit of the character of whom I have become so fond.

I came up with "O Leãozinho" by Caetano Velosos.  I shared this with Parker via PM.  He seemed to like it, I hope y'all do as well.

Gosto muito de te ver, leãozinho                (I like to see you a lot, little lion)

Caminhando sob o sol                                (Walking under the sun)

Gosto muito de você, leãozinho                 (I like you a lot, little lion)

Para desentristecer, leãozinho                   (To undo the sadness, little lion)

O meu coração tão só                                (Of my very lonely heart)

Basta eu encontrar você no caminho         (All I need is to find you along the road)

Um filhote de leão, raio da manhã              (A lion cub, morning ray)

Arrastando o meu olhar como um ímã        (Dragging my look like a magnet)

O meu coração é o sol, pai de toda cor      (My heart is the sun, father of all color)

Quando ele lhe doura a pele ao léu            (When it goldens your skin aimlessly)

Gosto de te ver ao sol, leãozinho                (I like seeing you in the sun, little lion)

De te ver entrar no mar                               (Seeing you in enter the sea)

Tua pele, tua luz, tua juba                           (Your skin, your light, your mane)

Gosto de ficar ao sol, leãozinho                  (I like to be by the sun, little lion)

De molhar minha juba                                 (To wet my mane)

De estar perto de você e entrar numa        (To be near you and enjoy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZAFwb-BiPo

Brazilian Portuguese?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Parker--

Thank you for sharing this story. The test to me of a good story is one I go back to re-read, a year from now or five or ten years from now. Part of the story is so memorable that certain characters or events in their tale work their way into my brain, and I have to go back and re-read that piece, and then get caught up in the entire story again. A to Z is going to be one of those stories for me. 

--Rigel

This is exactly how I feel about this novel. The episodes in the cinema and at Christmas are two that keep on coming to mind (and others).

Yes, an intention to reread one bit always seems to lead to a more extended stay....!

Thanks, Parker for a story that grabbed my head and my heart.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
If it matters to anyone who read A to Z, today is the day (April 29) that Stefan's journal begins. 2016 actually matches up with the calendar in the story, so technically, the story starts today...

• Like 5
  • 5 months later...

When I read the story again it's always from the moment Andy arrives at Eugene''s farm.

I start further back than you but certainly not from the top - the openng few chapters still upset me too much. I start when Andy/Stefan sets out on his journey.

• Like 2

I somehow find it both frustrating and interesting to re-read the chapters as they occur - that is, on their date of entry. Originally, I had meant to post them that way, but could not bring myself to wait that long...

• Like 1

You couldn't wait that long ...! I think your legion of fans (I can't include myself because I joined GA as the story was drawing to a close) would have been after you with GA's entire stock of pitchforks if you'd tried that. :P

• Like 2

You couldn't wait that long ...! I think your legion of fans (I can't include myself because I joined GA as the story was drawing to a close) would have been after you with GA's entire stock of pitchforks if you'd tried that. :P

Does anyone even own a pitchfork anymore?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone even own a pitchfork anymore?

I do... it's about 35 years old... maybe more... and is still perfect, rust-colored, but sturdy and sharp... don't make 'em like that anymore  :)

Edited by Headstall