Wasn't thinking and posted my comment in CoTT.  Oh well. 

not to worry, we'll bring it over here. :lol:

Loved the new chapter Lit :thumbup:

- not going to say anything else in case not everyone has read it yet - out of likes and will review it in a little bit.

I liked it too, and I'm already craving more. (cheep, cheep) :rofl:

• Like 1

I see what you did there :P

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the support.  I was a little worried about too much sadness turning people off.  

• Like 1

:gikkle: I squawked for more in my review... 

I see what you did there :P

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the support.  I was a little worried about too much sadness turning people off.  

Not a chance. It's too good a story and we're hooked..

• Like 2

I'm sorry if you've already cover this topic, Lit, but I have a question, especially in light of the earlier scent thing with the alien. What Jensen and Merrick feel -- is that a "mate on a level that is determined from a force outside themselves" situation, like we often see in nonhuman romance stories? (Especially in werewolf/lupine tales.) Or is their affection and attraction "natural," for lack of a better term?

• Like 2

I'm sorry if you've already cover this topic, Lit, but I have a question, especially in light of the earlier scent thing with the alien. What Jensen and Merrick feel -- is that a "mate on a level that is determined from a force outside themselves" situation, like we often see in nonhuman romance stories? (Especially in werewolf/lupine tales.) Or is their affection and attraction "natural," for lack of a better term?

Hi Geemeedee!  I'm sorry, I completely missed this post yesterday.  I blame maxed out notifications.  

In answer to your question, no, scents don't play the same kind of role in this world as they might in a werewolf story.  Jenson finds the scent of Merrick's blood intoxicating, but only because he finds the man intoxicating.  The scent of his blood only enhances the attractiveness to him, it doesn't define it.  Jer's scent is like a drug (e.g. extasy) and it's effects only last as long as the other person can smell it.  

I hope that helps :)

In answer to your question, no, scents don't play the same kind of role in this world as they might in a werewolf story. Jenson finds the scent of Merrick's blood intoxicating, but only because he finds the man intoxicating. The scent of his blood only enhances the attractiveness to him, it doesn't define it. Jer's scent is like a drug (e.g. extasy) and it's effects only last as long as the other person can smell it.

I'm sorry that I muddled my question by mentioning scent as an example. What I meant was, are they falling in love "naturally," as humans do, or is there a force, such as fate, or a "higher power" that has deemed them to be together? In so many nonhuman stories, two meet and whammo!! This is the person I've been looking for all my life, the one that completes me and I'll never love another. Am I making sense?

Edited by Geemeedee

I'm sorry that I muddled my question by mentioning scent as an example. What I meant was, are they falling in love "naturally," as humans do, or is there a force, such as fate, or a "higher power" that has deemed them to be together? In so many nonhuman stories, two meet and whammo!! This is the person I've been looking for all my life, the one that completes me and I'll never love another. Am I making sense?

You"re making perfect sense.  In answer to your question, no, there is no "fate" or "higher power".  In this world vampires were humans that were changed into vampires.  They drink blood, have a much longer life span, and some additional strength, but they are essentially still human in many ways.  Falling in love happens for them would happen naturally.

Thank you for your question Geemeedee :)

In answer to your question, no, there is no "fate" or "higher power". In this world vampires were humans that were changed into vampires. They drink blood, have a much longer life span, and some additional strength, but they are essentially still human in many ways. Falling in love happens for them would happen naturally.

I was gratified to see your response. I think the whole "fated mate" thing is often used as a crutch. The characters involved have no choice but to love who they love, because it was predetermined or meant to be. It removes the element of free will ... and a lot of plot possibilities.

• Like 3

I was gratified to see your response. I think the whole "fated mate" thing is often used as a crutch. The characters involved have no choice but to love who they love, because it was predetermined or meant to be. It removes the element of free will ... and a lot of plot possibilities.

Nope, no fated mates here... lots of room for both of these guys to be stubborn bastards ;)

Chapter 12 has now been posted.  I hope you like it.   :)

Such a great chapter. Jenson's telling of his life with Kel, from start to finish, was heartbreaking. I could picture the vampire sitting there, opening himself up... so touching, sad, and yet beautiful... well done, my friend...

• Like 3

Such a great chapter. Jenson's telling of his life with Kel, from start to finish, was heartbreaking. I could picture the vampire sitting there, opening himself up... so touching, sad, and yet beautiful... well done, my friend...

Thank you, Gary :*)  In this chapter I wanted people to see how much Jenson has been trying to keep it together for years.  He hasn't let anyone in in a long time.  Thank you for all of your help with this chapter.  It would have been a wreck without you :hug:

• Like 1

Thank you, Gary :*)  In this chapter I wanted people to see how much Jenson has been trying to keep it together for years.  He hasn't let anyone in in a long time.  Thank you for all of your help with this chapter.  It would have been a wreck without you :hug:

You accomplished what you set out to do, and it turned out beautifully... quite a wonderful chapter about a very long lifetime of sadness and loyalty... xoxo

You accomplished what you set out to do, and it turned out beautifully... quite a wonderful chapter about a very long lifetime of sadness and loyalty... xoxo

:hug: thank you :*)  It was important to me to tell this story the right way.  You have been very important to that process. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...