Tim said something really interesting in his review :)

Luc expected a fellow player like Jase to understand the nature of their relationship, so not telling Jase he was hooking up with other men isn't surprising.

True, but the casual part and extra partners trailed off to nothing because Luc knew Jason only wanted him... he joked that he was greedy, which meant to me that he knew how Jase was feeling. I don't think he wanted to give Jase up so he kept things on the down low until he got caught... happens a lot... it's calling lies by omission... :P

I think it was a lie of omission, but I think Luc might have been surprised that Jason didn't expect it.  

Interesting, I would have assumed they started out as lovers and became casual friends later. I'm not sure I'd consider them close friends when they knew so little of how the other person was feeling. Jason had no idea Luc was fooling around and Luc had no idea Jason was falling in love with him.

I'm going to assume they were always safe with sex, and that Jason had tests done after they broke up, just in case (for the oral sex transmitted diseases).

Hi Drew, just saw your comment. Yeah, Luc's assumption was natural, but he could still have made sure.

Oh, that was an even better explanation, Gary. In that case, Luc was definitely not a good friend to Jason. :no:

In my head they were buddies... they met at a party.. they hung out together, with friends until they hooked up,  

EDIT:  Luc saw them as fuck buddies and probably did realize that Jason was getting attached, but chose to ignore it.  I can guarantee that if Luc walked in on Jason getting a bj in the bathroom he wouldn't have gotten angry.. he would have wanted his turn. 

Edited by LitLover

In my head they were buddies... they met at a party.. they hung out together, with friends until they hooked up,  

EDIT:  Luc saw them as fuck buddies and probably did realize that Jason was getting attached, but chose to ignore it.  I can guarantee that if Luc walked in on Jason getting a bj in the bathroom he wouldn't have gotten angry.. he would have wanted his turn. 

It probably wasn't just in your head, but also in the chapter. I simply overlooked it.

• Like 1

I do agree that Luc could probably figure out that Jason was more attached than he was, but is that really his problem? Should he be obliged to raise the question, if Jason did the same thing to previous encounters? What is Jason's role in this? Shouldn't he have told Luc how he felt? Sure, he was scared and had never done a relationship like that before, but he's a grown man. He can't go around relying on people to read his mind and act accordingly. The difference in expectations is not to be blamed on one of the parties. Especially since it was Jason who seemed to want to break their pattern. 

• Like 1

I do agree that Luc could probably figure out that Jason was more attached than he was, but is that really his problem? Should he be obliged to raise the question, if Jason did the same thing to previous encounters? What is Jason's role in this? Shouldn't he have told Luc how he felt? Sure, he was scared and had never done a relationship like that before, but he's a grown man. He can't go around relying on people to read his mind and act accordingly. The difference in expectations is not to be blamed on one of the parties. Especially since it was Jason who seemed to want to break their pattern. 

I agree, but in reading the chapter, I got the impression they broke the pattern together ... quote  " They’d occasionally invited another man into their bed, and had even attended a few ‘parties’ together, but Jason preferred having Luc one-on-one.  With teasing about Jason’s greediness, the ménages and parties gradually stopped."  I think this is where Jason got confused. He made it clear he wanted Luc to himself, and I got the impression Luc agreed... we are such stupid creatures when we assume something, like Jase did here. especially in a relationship... Luc liked the casual way, so Jase should have clarified where they were at instead of thinking they had evolved in their relationship... and that's where karma comes in... I think Luc let Jase believe what he wanted, just like Jase did with Pierre, years before... just saying...

• Like 2

It could be Luc thinking Jason just wasn't into group activities. Just because you're casual, it doesn't mean you enjoy that. And I think we agree, neither party is in the clear. They could both have been more honest. Reading the previous comments, it just seemed many put the 'blame' om Luc. 

• Like 2

At least it made for some interesting discussion here. :yes:

I don't think we can blame either of them. and Jason certainly doesn't blame Luc. Rather he is embarassed about having made the mistake, but it was a natural one. However, Jason might have hinted at his feelings earlier by suggesting he would like to date exclusively. If Luc had replied "But we already do," that would have been a good indication to let his feelings develop. Luc refusing would have been an even clearer signal.

But considering what Jason did to Pierre and the very useful lessons he learned from having his heat broken, I think Karma and LL did a great job. ;)

Also, it was probably better to find out this way instead of declaring his love and then being told Luc didn't feel the same. :pinch:

• Like 4

Karma... Can we really compare the actions of a 20 year old to that of an older person? Sure, it was a shitty thing to do, but does he deserve to be so miserable for something he did when young and stupid?

I would be surprised if Pierre is still hung up on this. Most likely he's moved on completely, with that as an unpleasant but not so significant memory. A lesson learned. You get hurt, but you survive. 

• Like 2

I would be surprised if Pierre is still hung up on this. Most likely he's moved on completely, with that as an unpleasant but not so significant memory. A lesson learned. You get hurt, but you survive. 

That's what I'm hoping too, or he'll never forgive Corey if he gets together with Jason - eventually. I foresee a long and interesting journey before that happens. :D

• Like 1

That's what I'm hoping too, or he'll never forgive Corey if he gets together with Jason - eventually. I foresee a long and interesting journey before that happens. :D

After chapter 1, that's where my head was.. Corey and Jason, and Pierre still not over it.. That would make for some fireworks amongst the friends.. Poor Andrew, all around his wedding.. Interesting journey for sure.. 

• Like 2

Pierre and Jason knew each other for four years at the most and dated for a summer before they were set to go to different colleges. I would be very surprised if if was still pining after Jason. For Corey, their relationship goes back way further and runs deeper, so for him to miss Jason makes more sense.

• Like 2

Oh this entire series of discussion is wonderful. I agree with most of whats been said but I'm gonna remain quiet. I want to see where Lit takes us without over thinking what we know so far. The twists and convolutions are here for a reason ... I am curious and a bit jealous of Gary who gets to see this all before the rest of us.

Uhm, I will say I'm rooting for the ginger boy.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Since I don't know what's going to happen either, I could be wrong about this, but I'm of the mind that the "ginger boy" as Dugh calls him will have moved on from Jason. Unlike Corey, I think he has found "the one" and has his HEA. 

• Like 3

Construction workers can be very distracting...

i wanted to to follow up on comments in the reviews, Jason was a self centered idiot but he was 20 and some of us do a lot of growing up in those college/post college years. Corey should not be comparing Jason with Corey's father. They are different people in very different stages of their lives. One messed up when he was young and could learn, the other has shown no capacity to change behaviour.

All of that being said, I have sympathy for Corey. I am much more likely to forgive a transgression against me than I am if you hurt someone I care about.

• Like 4

Construction workers can be very distracting...

i wanted to to follow up on comments in the reviews, Jason was a self centered idiot but he was 20 and some of us do a lot of growing up in those college/post college years. Corey should not be comparing Jason with Corey's father. They are different people in very different stages of their lives. One messed up when he was young and could learn, the other has shown no capacity to change behaviour.

All of that being said, I have sympathy for Corey. I am much more likely to forgive a transgression against me than I am if you hurt someone I care about.

I agree, hurt me, I might forgive and forget.. hurt someone I love and I turn into mama bear.  

It might not be fair of Corey to lump Jason and his father together, but his father's behaviour is his standard for 'cheaters'.  Parents can shape our perceptions of the world and relationships.... good or bad.

• Like 2

I agree, hurt me, I might forgive and forget.. hurt someone I love and I turn into mama bear.  

It might not be fair of Corey to lump Jason and his father together, but his father's behaviour is his standard for 'cheaters'.  Parents can shape our perceptions of the world and relationships.... good or bad.

I agree. Corey is working with what he knows and the long term behaviour of his father is clouding his thoughts about Jason. It might not be fair but it is a normal reaction.

• Like 2

I found Pierre's small admonition at the end very interesting. He doen't want Corey to listen to Jason and perhaps forgive him for Jason's sake. He's more worried about Corey being damaged due to the resentment he harbors and his refusal to even consider giving Jason a chance to apologize. In fact, his grudge keeps Pierre's old hurt alive too, when the man has moved on and wants to leave it all behind.

Corey needs to take Pierre's advice and deal with his feelings of betrayal and disgust once and for all. :yes:

• Like 4

I found Pierre's small admonition at the end very interesting. He doen't want Corey to listen to Jason and perhaps forgive him for Jason's sake. He's more worried about Corey being damaged due to the resentment he harbors and his refusal to even consider giving Jason a chance to apologize. In fact, his grudge keeps Pierre's old hurt alive too, when the man has moved on and wants to leave it all behind.

Corey needs to take Pierre's advice and deal with his feelings of betrayal and disgust once and for all. :yes:

Pierre does want Corey to forgive Jason for his own sake... so he's not bitter for the rest of his life.  Pierre might have forgiven Jason, but Corey means much more to him.