Here are two examples from November 2nd, 1945:

Spring Avenue [Warehouse] Whispers –

Many happy returns to Helen Dressler, of the Finishing Room, whose birthday was Sunday, October 21st. Helen says after this one, she isn't going to have any more.

Basement Ballads –

Is there a hint of romance between Margie Langsdorf (Bargain Squares) and the soldier son of Leota Young (Bargain Squares)? What's cookin' here, kids?

• Like 2

I've been slow at starting the next tale, but I can report that I have my basic outline ready to go for the 1945 novella.

Years ago, a fellow collector of Famous-Barr memorabilia sent me a binder full of employee newsletters. These range in date from late 1944, to January 1947; he gave them to me because he had an additional set.

Since the issues came out weekly, I have about 60 for most of the entire period. Reading them all (yes, I know, I'm a dork…) has taken considerable time, but I wanted to get a feel for the place and era.

I took many notes, copying out and noting the date and page number for various reports I found touching, funny, or sometimes just plain sad, and wound up re-envisioning my story in the process.

A new character was added to my story. Or, two really – the young woman in charge of issuing Store Chats every Friday without fail, and the Store Chats themselves! They contain so much charm, I felt I had to seize the opportunity and share it with you all.

Oh this is gonna be great!!

• Like 2

Many happy returns to Helen Dressler, of the Finishing Room, whose birthday was Sunday, October 21st. Helen says after this one, she isn't going to have any more.

Basement Ballads –

Is there a hint of romance between Margie Langsdorf (Bargain Squares) and the soldier son of Leota Young (Bargain Squares)? What's cookin' here, kids?

These are nice.. if you're using this type of thing... it's gonna be fun!!

• Like 2

Oh this is gonna be great!!

What tim said! And please by all means be a 'dork'( you said it) and read every one of those newsletters. We reap the benefits.. 

Basement Ballads –

:heart: That so nice they did that.. I can't wait to see what whispers make its way into the story.. I might be excited.. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I commented on AC's photos of the Famous-Barr building I had no idea that they were there as props (sort of ) for this series of stories. Living on this side of the pond I have to say the name means nothing. I shall be adding these stories to my ever-growing reading list  :read: .

The first piece of AC's that I read was Hubble which gave me (pleasurable) brain ache and took up residence in my head. These stories will hopefully be a less intense intro to AC's writing ... :P

• Like 3

When I commented on AC's photos of the Famous-Barr building I had no idea that they were there as props (sort of ) for this series of stories. Living on this side of the pond I have to say the name means nothing. I shall be adding these stories to my ever-growing reading list  :read: .

The first piece of AC's that I read was Hubble which gave me (pleasurable) brain ache and took up residence in my head. These stories will hopefully be a less intense intro to AC's writing ... :P

northie, you'll love them.. frankly, I recommend ANYTHING by AC, my personal favs... Judas Tree and Bound and Bound.... But the Famous-Barr stories are wonderful too.

• Like 3

Thanks, northie! Truth is, I've been slaving away in quiet determination to finish the other six of this series. I have two more 'done,' and have to think about moving on to the next year on my list. 1964, I think.... 

If I can suggest, you may enjoy the 1929 tale - It Had to be Good! Give it a glimpse, and I bet you will be hooked.

Thank you once again :)     

• Like 2

Once it's gone through the editor, I think I'll post an entire chapter of the 1913 tale as a preview. It's set in summer, so will be a nice complement to our current season.

:) :) :) 

• Like 1

northie, you'll love them.. frankly, I recommend ANYTHING by AC, my personal favs... Judas Tree and Bound and Bound.... But the Famous-Barr stories are wonderful too.

If I can suggest, you may enjoy the 1929 tale - It Had to be Good! Give it a glimpse, and I bet you will be hooked.

Thanks, guys. Three recommendations and I'm still chewing over a review for one of AC's neo G&S libretti - I think I'll be around this neighbourhood a fair bit ...

• Like 2

Thanks, guys. Three recommendations and I'm still chewing over a review for one of AC's neo G&S libretti - I think I'll be around this neighbourhood a fair bit ...

oh the Fan Club is growing!!!  :)

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all! I've started posting a chapter from the 1913 tale. I'm doing it as an extended preview, and because I like it :)

It's also set in summertime, over the 4th of July holiday, so it's perfect for this time of year.

Here are some pictures of the Meramec River. It's remarkable that this place is as pure and untouched as it is, considering how close it is to a major urban area. It's still the ideal and treasured recreation waterway for canoeing, swimming, and rafting. It hasn't changed since long before Wini's day - and I hope it never does!

What do you think?

Meramec_River_12Aug2012_55.jpg

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 5

Hello all! I've started posting a chapter from the 1913 tale. I'm doing it as an extended preview, and barbecue I like it :)

It's also set in summertime, over the 4th of July holiday, so it's perfect for us this time of year.

Here are some picture of the Meramec River. It's remarkable that this place is as pure and untouched as it is, considering how close it is to a major urban area. It's still the ideal and treasured recreation waterway for canoeing, swimming, and rafting.

What do you think?

Meramec_River_12Aug2012_55.jpg

Wow this is lovely... especially next to a big city... 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Just finished reading chapter three of Scraps from a Diary. What a wonderful tale it was.

I will be reviewing it soon, but I've been wondering for a while now where the inspiration for these characters came from. I ask this because the first glimpse of Mr. and Mrs. McIntire had me me thinking of Nels and Harriet Oleson from Little House on the Prairie. As the story progressed, it became evident that while they were both very kind, Mr. McIntire's backbone was fully intact unlike Mr. Oleson.  As for Mrs. M, the comparisons ran right through to the end. I won't elaborate on the comparisons, but I wonder if anyone else sees a similarly between these two ladies or am I being too harsh on Mrs. M? 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2