From The Cup Of The Worthless By Cynus

Here's a quick rundown of the cast for those who may need a refresher:

Nobuyuki Sato - Protagonist. Adopted son of Masahiro Sato. 17 and brilliant at languages, skilled at combat, and is goal-oriented. Tends to have slight tunnel vision, and is often morally ambiguous.

Viktor Karimov - Love interest of Nobuyuki and son of police chief, Mikhail Karimov. 17, and is kindhearted and genuine, most of the time, but something is holding him back.

Vladimir Karimov - Over-protective brother of Viktor. 18.

Dante Salvatici - Member of the American branch of the Italian Mafia. 18. He is charismatic and quick, and has the skills of a thief. He wants something, but exactly what remains a mystery.

Masahiro Sato - Adopted father of Nobuyuki Sato. Leader of the Vladivostok branch of the Inagawa-Kai Yakuza family. Has designs for expansion in Vladivostok. Exactly where his moral compass lies remains to be determined.

Mikhail Karimov - Father of Viktor and Vladimir. Police chief of Vladivostok. Is rumored to be homophobic.

Daisuke Sanada (also referred to as Daisuke Sato) - Head of Masahiro Sato's security. He has an abiding hatred for Nobuyuki.

Lady Katsumi - Fiance of Masahiro Sato. A modern geisha and member of the Inagawa-kai.

Mr. Morrison - History teacher who deserves to be shot.

Headmaster Kozlov - Headmaster of the high school the four boys attend.

• Like 4

That's great! This is turning into one of those Dostojevski books, with a lot of interesting characters. Good to have a cheat sheet! LOL 

Who is Dostojevski? Is he the Polish immigrant in my book I've forgotten about? :P Geez, there's so many characters even I'm forgetting who they all are! :D

What's really annoying with Russian authors is the use of nicknames. So a character can have two or more names, totally logical if you're Russian and know Michael is Kolya. For a mere Swede, it's a head ache...

The nickname for Aleksandr is usually Sasha, when I first heard about that I was so confused :gikkle:

• Like 1

He was a Russian author who wrote Crime and Punishment :)

Ah, that's a classic I've never read! :)

What's really annoying with Russian authors is the use of nicknames. So a character can have two or more names, totally logical if you're Russian and know Michael is Kolya. For a mere Swede, it's a head ache...

Whoa, I didn't know that, either! I did use a Russian nickname in the story though. When VIktor talks about how Headmaster Kozlov is a goat, because the Russian word for goat is Kozel . . .

The nickname for Aleksandr is usually Sasha, when I first heard about that I was so confused :gikkle:

I suppose I did know that one, though I prefer the name Sasha, actually. 

Just check out the list of characters here... 

I mean just this: Avdotya Romanovna Raskolnikova – Raskolnikov's dominant and sympathetic sister, called Dunya or Dunechka for short. 

Yes, very short...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_and_Punishment

Wow . . . I am so unprepared to write the sequel to From The Cup of The Worthless, which takes place mainly in Russia!

• Like 1

Ah, that's a classic I've never read! :)

Whoa, I didn't know that, either! I did use a Russian nickname in the story though. When VIktor talks about how Headmaster Kozlov is a goat, because the Russian word for goat is Kozel . . .

You should read it. It's actually very good and not too heavy (even if it may appear so). 

• Like 1

Viktor Victor Vitya, Vityunya          

Vladimir Rule with peace or greatness   Volodya, Vova, Vovochka 
Mikhail Who is like God Misha, Mishen'ka

Some nicknames for the characters. I remembered wrong. It's Nikolai that is Kolya. 

Edited by Puppilull
  • Like 1

Viktor Victor Vitya, Vityunya          

Vladimir Rule with peace or greatness   Volodya, Vova, Vovochka 

Mikhail Who is like God Misha, Mishen'ka

Some nicknames for the characters. I remembered wrong. It's Nikolai that is Kolya. 

Nikolai as Kolya makes more sense to me. I had no idea that Mikhail and Misha were related. I've always loved the name Misha, too.

This is all fascinating to the linguistic anthropologist I almost was. 

On another note, here's Dimitry!

OHWBt5O72l0.jpg

Edited by Cynus
  • Like 2

Aww! He's such a cutie! :D I can't imagine him being part of the Mafia. Then again, it's the angelic faces that turn out to be the bad boys :lol:

I like to think of Dimitry as the softest gangster in the world, though he'd still be ready to kill to defend his lover or his cousin. :)

• Like 1

Are you excited for chapter 9? Things are about to get serious. 

I did as i was told and read ALL of it ...  so i'm waiting for chapter 9

• Like 1

Do fish swim? Hell yeah I'm excited. It'll be what I look forward to when I get home!  :D

Yay! Wednesday is going to be a great day. It's Odin's day, you know. Old one eye makes his move on Wednesdays. :D

I did as i was told and read ALL of it ...  so i'm waiting for chapter 9

I'm glad you're here. :) Hope the wait won't drive you too crazy! :D

Edited by Cynus

Yay! Wednesday is going to be a great day. It's Odin's day, you know. Old one eye makes his move on Wednesdays. :D

I'm glad you're here. :) Hope the wait won't drive you too crazy! :D

LOL Can't get much crazier than i am now... seriously I'm enjoying the story and it's worth the wait....

• Like 1

LOL Can't get much crazier than i am now... seriously I'm enjoying the story and it's worth the wait....

Music to my ears, dear tim. :) Thank you.

Cynus, no need to apologize for so-called tardiness ... I'm just glad you do reply. I'm happy if my review is acknowledged within a few days. I'm reading something where a bunch of a review's are left but the author only bothers to respond to one particular person each chapter. Kind of pisses me off...what's up with the rest us who bothered... if it happens again, I'll tell the author why I'm not going to finish his story. 

So within a few days.. it's cool. But thanks for saying so.

tim

• Like 1

Cynus, no need to apologize for so-called tardiness ... I'm just glad you do reply. I'm happy if my review is acknowledged within a few days. I'm reading something where a bunch of a review's are left but the author only bothers to respond to one particular person each chapter. Kind of pisses me off...what's up with the rest us who bothered... if it happens again, I'll tell the author why I'm not going to finish his story. 

So within a few days.. it's cool. But thanks for saying so.

tim

I've always tried to be prompt, so you can consider it an apology to myself, as well. I feel like I'm failing at my job if I'm not interacting with my readers. I ask for feedback pretty regularly, and I think it's the author's duty to nurture that feedback by responding to it. If I don't have the time to respond to something directly, I'll wait until I have a free moment to do so in order to make sure I can respond in depth. My thought is that by this process I can develop a community around my writing. 

Which is why I can definitely see where you'd have an issue with what the other author is doing. Distancing yourself from your audience is not the way to keep them coming back.

Of course, what do I know? I could be completely off base with that, as I only have a few people who are currently reviewing every chapter. I'm grateful to all of you, by the way, so please don't think I'm complaining. I wish I knew how to reach more readers, is all. 

I've always tried to be prompt, so you can consider it an apology to myself, as well. I feel like I'm failing at my job if I'm not interacting with my readers. I ask for feedback pretty regularly, and I think it's the author's duty to nurture that feedback by responding to it. If I don't have the time to respond to something directly, I'll wait until I have a free moment to do so in order to make sure I can respond in depth. My thought is that by this process I can develop a community around my writing. 

Which is why I can definitely see where you'd have an issue with what the other author is doing. Distancing yourself from your audience is not the way to keep them coming back.

Of course, what do I know? I could be completely off base with that, as I only have a few people who are currently reviewing every chapter. I'm grateful to all of you, by the way, so please don't think I'm complaining. I wish I knew how to reach more readers, is all. 

I think reaching people is the biggest issue on any writing site, GA included. I know a couple of people who have that issue but I don't understand why. You're both very talented authors, yet you don't have a very large audience. Or if you do, not too many who say anything. 

I said something once to someone about this other author and they said to me, they didn't review or 'like' his work because they figured he knew how good he is.  I said, seriously???  Everyone needs feedback...  even Capote, Hemmingway, Steinbeck, Shakespeare... they all needed to hear their work was good, funny, touched someone... good grief. 

• Like 3

Hey Cynus :hug: I've been busy lately and have been dealing with an illness for a while, so I didn't have the time to leave reviews for many of the stories I follow.

But, while I haven't reviewed this story's latest chapters, I have been reading each one. And since I'm now feeling better and the weekend begins tomorrow, I'll be getting back to reviewing :D

• Like 2