Looks like Chris Colfer. Not really who I had in mind for Preston, but I can see it working.Definitely not going to end well for someone there :P

Actually, that is Chris Colfer.  But yeah, he's not as developed as Preston.

And the funny thing is he could probably take them all down, if he wanted to...

It's not threat of violence that worries him.  He just doesn't want to be hit on. 

• Like 3

They're just admiring him. :P What's wrong with that? I'm sure Preston would be preening. But maybe he just saw Indie scowling at him? :o

You kidding me?  Indie avoids anything that could be interpreted as jealousy because his squeak toy's ego is bad enough as it is.

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Stop being such a good writer!

No, no, no! Don't listen to spikey! :angry: Keep writing, just stop sleeping so you can write more. If it was good enough for Cory on his drive home, it's good enough for you :P

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator

For those, like me, without a perfect memory, I just used Google to track down all references to Cameron in book 1. The reference to Cameron knowing that Cory's bi is in chapter 1 (Cameron caught Cory with his hand down a friend's pants). I looked because I wanted to check if Cameron knows that Cory has a boyfriend...and I would guess that the answer is no.

• Like 3

For those, like me, without a perfect memory, I just used Google to track down all references to Cameron in book 1. The reference to Cameron knowing that Cory's bi is in chapter 1 (Cameron caught Cory with his hand down a friend's pants). I looked because I wanted to check if Cameron knows that Cory has a boyfriend...and I would guess that the answer is no.

Cory and Cameron never really talked about the incident except for a brief "so, that happened" kinda thing.  Since Cam didn't have a meltdown, Cory assumed he was okay.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Cory and Cameron never really talked about the incident except for a brief "so, that happened" kinda thing.  Since Cam didn't have a meltdown, Cory assumed he was okay.

A reasonable assumption, but Cory doesn't really know. We'll have to wait and see on that one...

• Like 1

A reasonable assumption, but Cory doesn't really know. We'll have to wait and see on that one...

You mean we could still see the scenario I envisioned where only Connor is OK with Cory having a boyfriend?

• Like 1

I can't imagine 'the Card clandestine cake club' breaking up over something as ridiculous as sexual preference.

You know, if they woulda had "clandestine" on their vocab lists when they were younger, I'm pretty sure they would have used it. 

You mean we could still see the scenario I envisioned where only Connor is OK with Cory having a boyfriend?

Were you looking at my notes?

• Like 2

I've been trying to work out the timeline from the epilogue of the first book and chapter 1 of the second book.

We know Efrain leaves about an hour after this moment:

So the subsequent scene happens around 2:30 in the afternoon on Christmas day (December 25th). He leaves soon after the texting flurry ('In less than half an hour, I was on the road'). The drive back to college takes five hours (chapter 15). Barring traffic or accidents, Efrain should arrive home no later than 9 or 10pm.

Cory leaves his parents' house several hours after the confrontation in the morning of December 23rd. He arrives home (at college) late morning on the 24th and goes straight to bed. When he wakes up it's four in the morning on the 25th, Christmas Day. He goes back to sleep, but I doubt Cory will stay asleep until ten at night when Efrain arrives.

So, here is the burning question I have: What does Cory spend his time doing on Christmas Day? Does he unpack his car, eat, and other sensible stuff? Somehow I doubt it... :unsure: Why doesn't he call Efrain or Keenan? OK, his phone may not be working, but surely he could find somewhere to phone from, even if Indie doesn't have a landline. He still has his computer, so he could have posted something on Facebook or sent Efrain a PM.

This radio silence is worrying even though I'm sure Cory won't do anything too stupid. I hope he stays angry rather than depressed. But maybe he decides to drive to Efrain's parents house? Would they notice each other's car on the trip?

I need some answers! I need another chapter! Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh.... :pinch:

NO ! This sounds like a tragedy of errors ! NO ! (sobbing ...)

• 2 weeks later...

He's lost part of his biological family and he's afraid he'll lose the rest. That's why he doesn't want his brothers to know. Just like he put off telling his parents, he's now putting off telling his brothers.

That's a very clever observation, Graeme. Cory may say his brothers will find out whether he tells them or not, but he wants to stay in the limbo of them not knowing, so he doesn't have to face the reaction he fears. (another cat-in-the-box situation?)

We may believe Connor at least will be OK with it, but no matter what happens Cory will be upset. Either his brothers will fall into line with their parents, and Cory will have lost his whole biological family, or there will be a huge family fight and he'll feel guilty about his family being split down the middle.

But I really, really want to see all Cory's brothers arrive and reestablish the Midnight Cake Club after telling their parents to go fuck themselves and their hateful stupid attitudes. :pissed: Cory needs to know he not the one to be blamed and that he's loved and accepted by the brother(s) he's looked up to his whole life.

• Like 3

That's a very clever observation, Graeme. Cory may say his brothers will find out whether he tells them or not, but he wants to stay in the limbo of them not knowing, so he doesn't have to face the reaction he fears. (another cat-in-the-box situation?)

We may believe Connor at least will be OK with it, but no matter what happens Cory will be upset. Either his brothers will fall into line with their parents, and Cory will have lost his whole biological family, or there will be a huge family fight and he'll feel guilty about his family being split down the middle.

But I really, really want to see all Cory's brothers arrive and reestablish the Midnight Cake Club after telling their parents to go fuck themselves and their hateful stupid attitudes. :pissed: Cory needs to know he not the one to be blamed and that he's loved and accepted by the brother(s) he's looked up to his whole life.

Since he was so wrong about his parents, he lost trust in his perceptions.  Leaving himself in limbo allows him to deal with the pain of losing his parents without the pain of losing his brothers, which he feels is only a matter of time.  However, I don't think he's even considered what would happen if his brothers help him.

Oh yeah, I accidentally deleted you review and can't get it back.  Here's what I was going to reply (thank the light I ctrl+C responses before I hit enter):

Cory is a very happy guy, which makes his depressive episodes that more noticeable. The gradual return of his VT family will heal some of his pain as he reminds himself that he's not alone in this, no matter how much he tries to isolate himself.

• Like 2

One thing I forgot to put in my review was how real Cory's reactions felt in chapter 2. Efrain I felt like giving a kick because he was being so selfish with his initial thoughts, though even there I think that was more reaction to the relief of finding Cory. It's quite natural for someone to go from worry to anger when the apparent cause of worry appears to have disappeared. Not everyone reacts that way, but I find it quite believable that Efrain would.

Efrain's "animal" brain is still very much in control sometimes, so "eat it", "fight it", and "fuck it" seem to be his most common reactions to new stimuli.  He may be older than Cory, but he still has some growing up to do.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I accidentally deleted you review and can't get it back.  Here's what I was going to reply (thank the light I ctrl+C responses before I hit enter):

You deleted my review ! :o:,(

Now it looks really weird that Graeme agrees with some thing I'm not saying or say after him. :lol: I shall try to remember what I wrote and redo it.

There, all done - and I have a copy if you press the wrong button again. ;)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2