It is so annoying that we can't edit story reviews! So I'll say here what I meant to add to my review of chapter 9. I've been pondering the story's title, and how the rest of the story will go in order for the title to fit. I mean, Toph's year has been anything but empty up to now! And he has a lot to look forward to with the internship and Abington, not to mention his painting. But if things don't improve on the Gary front, and the relationship wit Steve falls apart, will Toph reverse course and start to withdraw into himself again? Maybe return to Euphoria, even, to wind up back where he started? That would seem a discouraging prospect, yet it happens all the time. Mind you, we're only 4 months into the year. 8 more to go, so anything could happen. Have to wait and see! 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I don't see him returning to Euphoria. There's too many people that still have a place in his life (eg. Big Joe, Betty, Natalie) that will stop him from returning. A reverse course is certainly a possibility, though. Very few people go through life with only advances. There are almost always setbacks, too. I always like the advances to be bigger than the setbacks, but that's because I'm an optimist and a romantic :D

And for those in the reviews wondering who Oscar is, remember Toph is the T in TALON. Have a guess as to who is the O :P

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It is so annoying that we can't edit story reviews! So I'll say here what I meant to add to my review of chapter 9. I've been pondering the story's title, and how the rest of the story will go in order for the title to fit. I mean, Toph's year has been anything but empty up to now! And he has a lot to look forward to with the internship and Abington, not to mention his painting. But if things don't improve on the Gary front, and the relationship wit Steve falls apart, will Toph reverse course and start to withdraw into himself again? Maybe return to Euphoria, even, to wind up back where he started? That would seem a discouraging prospect, yet it happens all the time. Mind you, we're only 4 months into the year. 8 more to go, so anything could happen. Have to wait and see! 

I thought about the title's significance for quite a while too. I settled on it being a sardonic twist on 'the gap year.' Or, taking a year off before starting college. I believe one of the characters in Chapter one is mentioned doing this. 

If this fits Toph too, that means we may end with his starting art school after Labor Day. 

Just a thought. (you don't have to answer, Master Skinny)  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In Chapter 14, the nineteen year old Toph made a rather startling statement for an artist. He implied there was one ‘correct’ way to interpret Shostakovitch's fifth symphony. He actually did have an important point, but we should probably chalk up this narrow statement to his age. Teens are drawn to black and white.

Great music, as any great art, is subject to interpretation. In the case of a symphony, you have the orchestra (80 to 100 musicians) interpreting it and the conductor interpreting it – sometimes influencing the orchestra to varying degrees. :P You also have the listener’s interpretation.

Some people put a great deal of faith into what others read into the music. The most famous example is probably Beethoven’s 5th symphony. It has been interpreted as fate knocking at the door or Beethoven triumphing over his impending deafness. There is a little anecdote which is very telling. Arturo Toscanini, the great Italian conductor was asked what his particular interpretation re: the meaning of the beginning of the first movement, with its famous four note motto. Supposedly, he said, “To me, is allegro con brio.” Which is the tempo marking. He was poking fun at all the psychobabble.

In the matter of Shostakovitch, there is case to be made for psychobabble. Soviet Russia under Stalin was dangerous, especially in the late 1930’s. People disappeared into the gulag regularly, including artists. Shostakovitch had lost friends in this manner. He himself was under scrutiny. His 1934 opera, Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, was one of the reasons his music was condemned in 1936. His Fourth symphony had to be withdrawn. He kept a suitcase packed by his door in case he was hustled off to the gulag in the middle of the night. He did not know what this fifth symphony would bring him.

And so he wrote, in music, what it was like to live in Stalin’s Russia. This we know from his own autobiography. It is agonizing and beautiful in that way. The coda of the fourth movement sounds like a celebration whose feet is stuck in tar. He called it ‘forced rejoicing’ – safely after Stalin was dead. In fact, there was a constant war between Stalin and him. As conditions deteriorated, Stalin would always tell the populace, ‘things are getting better.’ Realizing what ‘getting better’ really meant, Shostakovitch would toast: ‘here’s to things not getting better.’

So what Toph wanted to hear was that haunting sadness, the terror and forced rejoicing. This youtube link is to a 1983 performance with Yevgeny Mravinsky conducting. He, by the way, conducted the original performance in 1937. He knew what Shostakovitch meant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWm8duGvkmI

A more exuberant performance would be Leonard Bernstein’s with the NY Philharmonic, which is all over youtube. This was Lenny’s interpretation, and he was entitled to that. Toph hated it.

• Like 4

Funny, I posted the above about a week ago. This morning, I read a review in the Times of the book The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes.

The review has some interesting points. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/books/review/the-noise-of-time-by-julian-barnes.html?emc=edit_tnt_20160510&nlid=17154485&tntemail0=y&_r=0

The book looks suspiciously interesting. It'll probably end up on my Kindle soon for Maine reading this summer. The crash of waves is my noise of time.  :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In Chapter 14, the nineteen year old Toph made a rather startling statement for an artist. He implied there was one ‘correct’ way to interpret Shostakovitch's fifth symphony. He actually did have an important point, but we should probably chalk up this narrow statement to his age. Teens are drawn to black and white.

Great music, as any great art, is subject to interpretation. In the case of a symphony, you have the orchestra (80 to 100 musicians) interpreting it and the conductor interpreting it – sometimes influencing the orchestra to varying degrees. :P You also have the listener’s interpretation.

Some people put a great deal of faith into what others read into the music. The most famous example is probably Beethoven’s 5th symphony. It has been interpreted as fate knocking at the door or Beethoven triumphing over his impending deafness. There is a little anecdote which is very telling. Arturo Toscanini, the great Italian conductor was asked what his particular interpretation re: the meaning of the beginning of the first movement, with its famous four note motto. Supposedly, he said, “To me, is allegro con brio.” Which is the tempo marking. He was poking fun at all the psychobabble.

In the matter of Shostakovitch, there is case to be made for psychobabble. Soviet Russia under Stalin was dangerous, especially in the late 1930’s. People disappeared into the gulag regularly, including artists. Shostakovitch had lost friends in this manner. He himself was under scrutiny. His 1934 opera, Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, was one of the reasons his music was condemned in 1936. His Fourth symphony had to be withdrawn. He kept a suitcase packed by his door in case he was hustled off to the gulag in the middle of the night. He did not know what this fifth symphony would bring him.

And so he wrote, in music, what it was like to live in Stalin’s Russia. This we know from his own autobiography. It is agonizing and beautiful in that way. The coda of the fourth movement sounds like a celebration whose feet is stuck in tar. He called it ‘forced rejoicing’ – safely after Stalin was dead. In fact, there was a constant war between Stalin and him. As conditions deteriorated, Stalin would always tell the populace, ‘things are getting better.’ Realizing what ‘getting better’ really meant, Shostakovitch would toast: ‘here’s to things not getting better.’

So what Toph wanted to hear was that haunting sadness, the terror and forced rejoicing. This youtube link is to a 1983 performance with Yevgeny Mravinsky conducting. He, by the way, conducted the original performance in 1937. He knew what Shostakovitch meant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWm8duGvkmI

A more exuberant performance would be Leonard Bernstein’s with the NY Philharmonic, which is all over youtube. This was Lenny’s interpretation, and he was entitled to that. Toph hated it.

Sorry, skinny - I'm just coming to this now.

It's a beautifully written essay, and I enjoy it immensely. I'm looking forward to listening to the 1983 recording later this afternoon :)

THANK YOU for posting this; I love it!  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know I've already asked in my review why Toph resented Clarence, but I'd like to specify. Toph apologizes to Clarence for 'resenting him when he was younger.' I guess it makes sense not to apologize for resenting his nasty brother when he was older, because that resentment would have been born from the cruel treatment he received from Clarence and would be natural and just. :angry:

Oh and what is this 'ruth' Toph never had? did you mean to write truth or does it mean something else?

Before, whenever thinking of my brother, I never had any ruth.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

The word ruth means pity or compassion. Not exactly empathy, but close. In other words, Toph never looked at things from Clarence's perspective, with Clarence as a possibly damaged person.

Thanks, I learned a new term today. :)

• Like 2

But in steps Gary, who again starts spouting off about family connections, how Toph hasn't looked at it all from the right point of view, blah blah blah.

:lmao::2thumbs:  :worship:

I absolutely LOVED spikey's review and I couldn't agree more.

I think we should make an Anti-Gary-the-Great-Manipulator Club ! :rofl:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In Late April, there is reference to a Stella di Campalto, sometimes called the accidental winemaker.

For those interested, here is a link to a blog page which does a pretty nice job of describing how she fell into what she does.

And, brother, how she has excelled at what she does!

I have tasted the fruits of her labor (as you will see if you read the link, that is literally true) and can honestly say it is the finest brunello I've certainly ever had. Which means it is one of the finest wines in the world. Don't expect to find it in your nearest liquor store. On the other hand, you could find quite a bit in my cellar, which is why you'll never be able to torture my address from me.  :gikkle:

http://www.vinography.com/archives/2013/04/stella_di_campalto_montalcino.html

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

Nope, he shouldn't mention Toph's mother at all. :pissed:

Sorry, Tim, but I have to disagree. Hiding the information from Toph would have been just as bad; not with Toph beginning to trust Gary. It would have been a betrayal of that trust.

• Like 3

Sorry, Tim, but I have to disagree. Hiding the information from Toph would have been just as bad; not with Toph beginning to trust Gary. It would have been a betrayal of that trust.

so you think it was important information that Toph's mother is going to retire? Is this because you agree with Toph that this means she can devote all her time to her evil plans?

Are you saying Gary thinks this too? It wasn't really said in an 'beware, your mother is going to retire' manner. Toph very rightly pointed out Gary had him cornered on an airplane when he came out with the statement.

Gary has never seemed to take Toph seriously, when his boyfriend proposes his mother is an evil schemer, nor has he at any time shown that he is on Toph's side concerning this woman who is an employee. Rather he has put pressure on Toph to reconnect with his family and in particular his mother.

Has Gary ever asked Toph whether he is interested in news about his mother's doings? Why would it be 'hiding' information, if the person receiving it would rather have been without? If Gary wants to keep Toph's trust he should start respecting his feelings and perhaps ask him to explain why he fears his mother. But no, as always Gary knows what is best for Toph. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

And how would Toph had reacted if he found out that his mother had retired and could, as you say, devote her time to her evil plans...and Gary knew and didn't mention it? If you insist, Gary was in a no-win situation. He doesn't win by telling Toph and he doesn't win by not telling Toph. In my opinion, I think it was information that Toph should be told, especially since Toph would almost certainly encounter his mother at the wedding. What motive does Gary have to keep the information from Toph that would justify not telling him?

• Like 5

Well, if Gary agrees with Toph about the danger of his mother, then I agree the information was appropriate and useful. ;)

But I will reserve judgement on that score until we see them together at the wedding. My expectation is for Gary to push for reconciliation while dismissing Toph's feelings about his mum as immature and without cause.

But perhaps the incident with Toph fleeing the gallery and hididng at the river may have finally taught Gary to take Toph seriously about this matter. If that is the case, I shall happily admit I was wrong. It's not that I don't think Gary is good for Toph and I like him as the protective boyfriend. But I can still be critical about his behavior on some counts.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Early June is just out, and I recommend it highly! One thing I shared with Skinny in PM, but did not put in my review, is this: 

The addition of the poor interview added just the right piquant
chiaroscuro to this installment.

Another great one, Mr. Dragon. Looking forward to what's next

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I liked the new Toph chapter and I agree with Graeme on his analysis of the Steve incident and Toph's mother. I think Toph had a good point about not waiting until the wedding.

Thanks, Tim.

I still think Toph should have accepted the offer of a weapon from Gary! Oh, wait -- did I just get my stories mixed? :o   Why did I put a Gary in each tale?!

• Like 2