This thread, as I'm sure you've guessed, dear reader, is for discussion or questions on my newest serial, Things We lost. The story follows Ehren, a street kid, who lends a helping hand and whose life, shortly thereafter, spirals out of control. The story is complete in eight chapters and will post weekly.

post-142-0-13494400-1453723419_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dabeagle
  • Like 1

Chapter 2 is posted. I loved the character Ehren as soon as I saw the image I used for this story, and kept it in mind the entire time. After all of the things he's had to avoid and deal with in the first two chapters, where will he end up? Find out next week :-)

• Like 1
I have a feeling that the jock that Ehren hated is Piper's brother

You went one way and Tim went the other - are you guys working together to cover all the bases?

Ehren is short and skinny, and he got the discarded clothes of Piper's brother. That's why I pointed to the artsy boy.

The jock could be a potential boyfriend. After all, we don't know who Tris is yet, do we? ;)

Oh, wait, yes we do. Tris is Piper's brother, she mentions him by name in ch. 3.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I agree with you about Tris being a potential boyfriend.  ;)  I figured that since Ehren had an instant dislike of him, that it would be natural for him to feature more in the story. :gikkle:  Good catch that his name was already mentioned.  ;)

• Like 1

I agree with you about Tris being a potential boyfriend.  ;)  I figured that since Ehren had an instant dislike of him, that it would be natural for him to feature more in the story. :gikkle:  Good catch that his name was already mentioned.  ;)

I agree it's more fun (if predictable) if Tris is the one Ehren dislikes on sight. And I guess he could be the one, if he had a growth spurt, or if he's not a big guy in spite of being a popular jock type. We'll have to wait a week to find out. :(

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I agree it's more fun (if predictable) if Tris is the one Ehren dislikes on sight. And I guess he could be the one, if he had a growth spurt, or if he's not a big guy in spite of being a popular jock type. We'll have to wait a week to find out. :(

There's also the possibility of Piper having more than one brother...or did she say she only had one? Or else they're old clothes.  We shall see!

• Like 1

Ehren is short and skinny, and he got the discarded clothes of Piper's brother. That's why I pointed to the artsy boy.

The jock could be a potential boyfriend. After all, we don't know who Tris is yet, do we? ;)

Oh, wait, yes we do. Tris is Piper's brother, she mentions him by name in ch. 3.

I never said if the clothes fit Ehren well, simply that he wore them :-) He wasn't spoiled for choice when it comes to clothes.

I'm loving the speculation, though!

• Like 3

I can't believe I forgot to comment on this joke ! :facepalm:

Piper sighed. “He grows on you.”

Glancing down the stairs, I muttered, “So does fungus.”

Especially, since I've used a similar one (with mould) in a story of my own. :lol:

Because every time I read the expression 'He grows on you' that's what it reminds me of. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :D

• Like 1

I'm always reminded of when I joined my 7th grade class in NY, just after moving from California. One child was explaining to me, in Earth Science class, what his favorite fungus was and I was carefully backing away from anyone with a favorite fungus!

• Like 2

This image is the one I used for the picture hanging in the Malone's living room. The one in the center is Tris, down to the blue shoes, and the other two are his friends at the time. There is another image out there somewhere and I wondered if this was part of a set, but Google images comes up with different results almost daily.

post-142-0-99518900-1456445544_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm more impressed by Tris with every chapter. He did really well after being told the sad truth of Ehren's parents and why he distrusts the authorities (especially the CPS), and most of all the fact that Ehren sold his body occasionally. I got all choked up (just like Tris) when Ehren asked

"Are you... going to fuck me now?"

:no::,(

But Tris' answer was just right. :yes::hug:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

Hi everyone. I'm new on this thread, but I've been reading the story since day 1 and I love every chapter (which reminds me that I owe some likes and reviews... sorry). But... but.... only eight chapters? Oh, well, I guess good things don't last forever.

My favorite character so far is.... Brandon!!!! Shocking, I know. But his loyalty just blows my mind. I mean, people lose friends for different things (including something as insignificant as one's sexuality), but those who stick around no matter what, they're not just friends... they're real friends. "You break his heart and I break your face" speaks volumes of the things he's willing to do to protect Tristan (yeah, a little over the top, but that's the way he is, right?).

That would be all for now. See you around guys.

• Like 2

I'm more impressed by Tris with every chapter. He did really well after being told the sad truth of Ehren's parents and why he distrusts the authorities (especially the CPS), and most of all the fact that Ehren sold his body occasionally. I got all choked up (just like Tris) when Ehren asked

"Are you... going to fuck me now?"

:no::,(

But Tris' answer was just right. :yes::hug:

I think that has to be a very difficult thing to hear about someone you love or care about. I've read that Ehren's response is common, that there is a pride in having made their own money. It's a sad, sick world.

Hi everyone. I'm new on this thread, but I've been reading the story since day 1 and I love every chapter (which reminds me that I owe some likes and reviews... sorry). But... but.... only eight chapters? Oh, well, I guess good things don't last forever.

My favorite character so far is.... Brandon!!!! Shocking, I know. But his loyalty just blows my mind. I mean, people lose friends for different things (including something as insignificant as one's sexuality), but those who stick around no matter what, they're not just friends... they're real friends. "You break his heart and I break your face" speaks volumes of the things he's willing to do to protect Tristan (yeah, a little over the top, but that's the way he is, right?).

That would be all for now. See you around guys.

Well, I'm glad you're commenting here! The story probably could have gone on, but the initial story was what got written. There is a possibility of a sequel, but it isn't fully mapped out.

I actually am shocked that Brandon is anyone's favorite. Yes, loyalty is a very good quality - one sorely lacking in many instances - but I also felt that the reason Brandon and Tris made it as friends was because Brandon didn't have much in the way of choices, either. His outward behavior doesn't make him friends easily.

• Like 2

Now I'm even more worried about you saying there are only a couple of chapters left. :o

How could Ehren be so careless? Living the safe life with Tris has blunted his survival instincts. :no::pinch:

And I'm so :pissed: with Mr and Mrs Malone.

I shall go back and leave a review, when I'm less :angry::,(

But it was a great chapter apart from the scary cliffie.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

You were probably expecting it to some degree - but I have to give you a few curveballs to keep you from being bored, right? :-)

I think that CPS scares Ehren more than anything else. He's taken care of himself for a long time and instead of trusting the system, which we don't yet know why he doesn't, so he ran back to the familiar and the controllable.

One chapter to go, and then all will be revealed - unless there is a sequel.

• Like 2

I think that CPS scares Ehren more than anything else. He's taken care of himself for a long time and instead of trusting the system, which we don't yet know why he doesn't, so he ran back to the familiar and the controllable.

But we do know why he doesn't trust the system and I for one understand him completely. I would have run off as well. That CPS addict betrayed Ehren and destroyed any trust he might have had in the system, and his time on the street would prevent him from ever gaining any new trust.

• Like 2

I really don't think we should be so hard on Tris' parents. What are they supposed to do when they discover they have an underaged runaway living with them? Just let him stay and hope for the best? Couldn't that mean they commit some kind of crime? Are they equipped to deal with a situation like that? Ehren will need help to deal with things. He needs to go to school. I can't remember now if they knew all of his history with CPS. If not, they arethe most likely candidate to call. If they do, they still need to involve the authorities somehow.

I would think they won't just drop Ehren like trash in a can and move on once he's handed over to the CPS. Tris for one would never let that happen. They have got to know him and most likely they would make sure to help and be there for him as much as possible. Of course, Ehren running again is only logical, so I'm not saying he's at fault. Trust is hard to build and easy to lose. I'm hoping they can get ahold of him again and sort this out. Within the system, since I really feel Ehren belongs in school. 

• Like 4

I agree! The elder Malones have pieced together a sorry tale, but they don't have the entire story and are simply trying to act responsibly and in the kids best interests.

• Like 4