I also really wanted to see the selection of the head (senior?) coach. I think that would have been a fun scene in real time. Good outcome, though. :)

Please tell me you also got it wrong, due to the way the chapter started.

• Like 2

I was a little bummed about the first date, too.

I also really wanted to see the selection of the head (senior?) coach. I think that would have been a fun scene in real time. Good outcome, though. :)

Hi Graeme

About Ch 17. :huh: For some moments I thought I had missed a few chapters or you had posted by error a later chapter !

Think some other readers have that same feeling.

I guess the selection of a female headcoach would have stirred up a lot of noise and would have attracted a lot of attention and comments.

Would have liked reading about that here. I agree with Impunity about that.

But reading your replies here means we just have to make that leap with you.

Does not mean I disliked the chapter. Great as usually in this story. :thankyou:

• Like 2

From Impunity's review

The brat's confrontation with the guy from the Lions had me giggling. Although, I wasn't sure why they were so annoyed about an AFL club representative's visit. It seemed more how one would treat a nosy reporter. Was it just because the guy was being an arse? :huh:

Are the Brisbane Lions an AFL club? I was wondering whether they were a VLF club trying to get the Leopards in trouble for making their players train in the off season, and particularly for having Ross there, since I seem to recall clubs aren't supposed to contact players in this period. Or am I remembering wrong?

The end of the chapter showed why Ross was worried about the interest of the Brisbane guy. They are far away up in Queensland. :o

Are the Brisbane Lions an AFL club? I was wondering whether they were a VLF club trying to get the Leopards in trouble for making their players train in the off season, and particularly for having Ross there, since I seem to recall clubs aren't supposed to contact players in this period. Or am I remembering wrong?

The end of the chapter showed why Ross was worried about the interest of the Brisbane guy. They are far away up in Queensland. :o

I looked them up; they're AFL. I wasn't sure why he was even questioning them. I can't imagine there's any sort of injunction on training in the off season. And he seemed more concerned about the apparent absence of supervision by a coach than anything else. I also don't think there are rules about state-level clubs' (is that the right term?) contacting high school students during exams, or about students training during exams.

EDIT: I don't think there would ordinarily be a reason for a state club to contact a student until after the draft, anyway.

I did figure out about the distance thing. :)

Edited by impunity

From Tim's Chapter 18 review:

And once again we end with Ross' now even more pressing and real worry about being drafted by an interstate club. I wonder if he'll tell Trevor about being gay at the first meeting or later (probably the latter). But perhaps he'll save this tidbit for scaring off clubs he doesn't want to get drafted by?

I don't think he will ever tell Trevor or any other AFL recruiter. Why would he when he is working so hard to keep his sexuality a secret? It's unlikely that any recruiter would keep this information confidential; if he tells one of them, he tells them all.

Edited by impunity
  • Like 1

I don't think he will ever tell Trevor or any other AFL recruiter. Why would he when he is working so hard to keep his sexuality a secret? It's unlikely that any recruiter would keep this information confidential; if he tells one of them, he tells them all.

I think you're right, but if he gets the feeling they are considering drafting him, what then? If he keeps quiet, what will happen when he comes out? At least he'll need to tell his coach and other club people beforehand, or they might feel blindsided. I wish Kevin had thought to recommend Alistair as an agent. He would be able to help Ross.

I think you're right, but if he gets the feeling they are considering drafting him, what then? If he keeps quiet, what will happen when he comes out? At least he'll need to tell his coach and other club people beforehand, or they might feel blindsided. I wish Kevin had thought to recommend Alistair as an agent. He would be able to help Ross.

He doesn't plan to come out, though, unless he gets outed. His whole fear is that getting outed will keep him from being drafted.

He doesn't plan to come out, though, unless he gets outed. His whole fear is that getting outed will keep him from being drafted.

But he expects to be outed in the near future, albeit after the draft. That's one reason he wants Warwick as his boyfriend.

Remember Alistair's reaction to Kevin getting in the news for the incident at the Leopard's final game? And he's told us his club does not want to see players making headlines for other things than their football playing. The first out AFL player would be something no club would want to have trust upon them without warning. In other words, Ross can keep quiet until after the draft, but then he has to tell whatever club gets him.

This is why I want him to be a Leopard. Julie has promised the support of the whole club, and Ross stays in Melbourne with Warwick. :D

But he expects to be outed in the near future, albeit after the draft. That's one reason he wants Warwick as his boyfriend.

Remember Alistair's reaction to Kevin getting in the news for the incident at the Leopard's final game? And he's told us his club does not want to see players making headlines for other things than their football playing. The first out AFL player would be something no club would want to have trust upon them without warning. In other words, Ross can keep quiet until after the draft, but then he has to tell whatever club gets him.

He doesn't plan to out himself, though. He's hoping to join all the other gay AFL players in their collective closet.

• Like 1

Reply from Graeme (author)

Warwick's age hasn't been mentioned, but he's probably around the 20-21 age.

Uhm, yes it has, in the 'interview' with Ross' mum in chapter 17. 

“Can I ask how old you are?”

Warwick smiled. “Twenty. I turn twenty-one in January.”

But I bet you realized that right after pressing the reply button. :) It will be good when we can edit reviews and replies.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

AAaaaaarrrghhhh, you did a cliffie ! :facepalm:

Really? Is that what that is? I thought it was a simple phone call from a classmate asking a question... 0:):devil:

• Like 1

Reply from Graeme (author)

Regarding Liam's brother (Noel, for those how don't remember), there's no reason Noel couldn't go with them to Sydney. He's autistic, but that doesn't mean he can't go on a road trip. He'll probably need some sort of long-term distraction to keep him occupied, but that's why they invented electronic games. At least, that's why I assumed they invented them... There is a vast spectrum of autism and we haven't been given a good feel for where Noel fits in on that spectrum. He's been shown to be slow to warm up to strangers, but that's not relevant if they're getting in a car to drive to Sydney. Autistic kids like routine, but unless they're severely autistic, they're not slaves to routine.

I guess I should have said:

Apart from Bruce needing time off from work, they'll also need to organize something for Liam's brother, right? If he isn't able to stand the hassle of a long drive to Sydney, he'll need a caretaker while they are away. Another good reason to plan ahead rather than leave everything to the last minute.

I'm aware that depending on the challenges Noel's autism creates, he could be OK with going on the road trip, especially if he knows about it beforehand and what exactly will be going on. I simply assumed it would be easier for Liam and Noel's parents if they don't have to worry about unforeseen events impacting Noel. Plus so far Noel doesn't seem too keen on Neil, so spending several hours in a car together might be a strain.

Thanks, Tim! I will admit that there are times when I contemplate writing a love scene, but I also know that there are people who prefer stories without explicit sex. While I'm disappointing some people, I'm also giving something to others.

As for the rest... :hug: I always enjoy your reviews, even if there's often too much I can't comment on :) Sometimes, though, I think you've either broken into my computer, or someone on the team is leaking you early copies :D

You could write a special love scene or two - just for me. :worship:  :D  Although I'm willing to share, so you could post it here. ;)

He, he, I wish I did have advance insights, but I shall chalk it up to either lucky guessing or me knowing your writing style well after having read most of your stories - and the Leopards series three times. :*)

• Like 1

OK, I don't know how to write a review for today's chapter. Or at least I don't know how to comment on what happened between Warwick and Ross, because I don't know how it happened, if you get my drift. This is one of the few cases where the lack of intimate details is a real disadvantage. Not just because I :Plike those details, but because I simply can't wrap my head around the story development right now.

I don't want to spoil anything for readers who haven't yet read the chapter, so I'll try to keep my questions general. I assume that:

Ross and Warwick were planning to go all the way? 

Warwick let Ross top, at least the first time?

Warwick would be focused on Ross enjoying it, and unless he was pretty skilled or lucky, Warwick wouldn't climax at the same time.

If so, Warwick probably got off afterwards, either by his own hand or Ross' or perhaps even by Ross blowing him? If he came first then... :o

Or did they never arrive at full out sex ? Did they start out with blowing each other?

And that's when Warwick made the mistake which upset Ross?

To me the enormity of Warwick's mistake also hinges on how far they went. If he was topping Ross when it happened, then I can't see them come back from that. If it was while Ross was blowing Warwick in return for getting a BJ first it might be OK. :unsure:

Anyway, Ross learned a hard lesson about selfish pushing. :pinch:

• Site Administrator

Based on what we know, Ross was naked when it occurred. Warwick was probably also naked and put on his boxers back to front before coming out to see Ross. How far they got is uncertain, but I don't see that it really matters. Warwick said the wrong name at an inappropriate time and Ross fled.

I am confused, I thought that Julie did not get the job of head coach but this paragraph and Julie's subsequent drafting of Henry seems to indicate otherwise.

"Julie chuckled. “I am. I’m also Paul’s big sister.” She smiled past Andrew to Henry. “It was a matter of some debate as to whether the head coach should be related to one of the players, but Paul and I keep our personal and professional lives separated. We worked together without a problem during the past season, so I expect that will continue.” She brought her attention back to Andrew."

I am confused, I thought that Julie did not get the job of head coach but this paragraph and Julie's subsequent drafting of Henry seems to indicate otherwise.

She did get the head coach job, but Graeme told us in a way which was meant to confuse us at first. Go back and read the beginning of chapter 17. These parts give it away:

Julie grinned. “I think you shocked everyone when you told the board that since you didn’t get the job as head coach, you were willing to step into the new assistant-coach vacancy instead. I certainly didn’t expect it, and I don’t think anyone else did, either.”

“Thanks, but I think you’ll be fine. You’ve got youth and enthusiasm, which, as the board told me, fits well with a young team. You also seem to be a good judge of character. I’m here to support you and give you the benefit of my experience.” Henry gave her a half smile. “I don’t think it’ll take you long to pick things up. Now, Miss Senior Coach, can I get back to work?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had never heard the story about Phil Hughes before. What a tragedy. :,( Now I understand why baseball players wear those hard helmets.

I think you were right to include it, and I can understand Deon's reaction. Maybe Clarissa can rent the pink room if the Sydney Swans draft Deon. :yes:

• Like 2