• Site Administrator

I think Phil Hughes's story will be known in all the cricketing nations around the world, but he's unlikely to be known outside of those countries.

My understanding is that a cricket ball is harder than a baseball, but the fact that the ball is generally bounced before it reaches the batsman reduces the speed below that of a baseball. However, that bounce (and the general rules of the sport) means that the ball could be targeted anywhere...including at the body of the batsman. The 'bouncer' is a ball that bounces to chest height or higher, and is usually used to intimidate the batsman. That's why cricketers also wear helmets. The ball that killed Phil Hughes happen to strike below the helmet, but still caused a fatal injury. Despite how dangerous all of this sounds, fatalities in cricket are very, very low -- probably lower than in other physically dangerous sports though I don't have firm data to confirm that. Apart from generic conditions such as heart failure due to over-exercise, a cricket ball to the head is pretty much the only sport-specific potential cause of death, and that would have to be a freak accident such as what happened to Phil Hughes. The vast majority of time the helmet will prevent them.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 2

I saw a baseball game online where the pitcher was struck in the head when the batter hit the ball straight back at him. He lay on the ground for a long time with the medical staff around him. Eventually, he was able to get up and walk off the mound, but it was fucking scary while it lasted. All the players were down on one knee in a circle just inside the diamond, and the whole stadium was sitting silently with bated breaths, hoping (and probably praying) for him to be OK. The guy who hit him was almost crying, and I wonder what happened to the poor bowler whose ball killed Phil Hughes. Did he ever play again?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Site Administrator

He continues to play cricket. His name is easily found on the Internet, but I think he deserves a modicum of privacy for what was a horrendous accident so I won't name him myself. I will say that many of the messages of condolences for Phil Hughes also includes messages of support for the young bowler who sent down that fatal delivery. It was an accident -- everyone acknowledges that.

• Like 2

Even if it's an accident, it's terrible to know you've caused another person's death. I've heard of people who never recovered from having caused fatal car accidents, even though they weren't driving recklessly. But this was so public and high profile, it's hard not to imagine him being haunted by the incident for the rest of his life. It was good to hear about the messages of support and he probably got help and support from his club. I'm glad to hear he's still playing, and I would never search for his name or anything now that I know the above.

I think the way you portrayed the reactions of your fictional characters probably covers the reactions of the spectators pretty well. The disbelief, shock, sadness, and anger at the unfairness of a young man in the prime of life being struck down playing the sport he loved. But somehow I can't help feeling death was a better fate than if he had woken up mindless or paralysed. That is the worst fate I can imagine for me or someone I love. :pinch:

• Like 1

And, in case it wasn't obvious, the end of this chapter, the day Cricket Australia made their press release, is the day of the AFL national draft.

It most definitely was obvious. The "long week" comment was for me.  :rolleyes:   

Edit: Unless you were inadvertently responding to Tim's "tomorrow in story time."   :P

Edited by impunity
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

It was more a general comment to make sure everyone was aware of the date. It means there is a high probability that the draft will appear in the next chapter. No guarantees, though, as there have been days in the story that have gone over more than one chapter :D

• Like 2

It was more a general comment to make sure everyone was aware of the date. It means there is a high probability that the draft will appear in the next chapter. No guarantees, though, as there have been days in the story that have gone over more than one chapter :D

I would be perfectly happy to read 2 or 3 chapters about Draft Day. I'd even be able to stand an entire chapter devoted to the brat's reaction to his first-round draft pick. ;):P

• Like 2

Awesome chapter and one of the things I liked best was all the set-ups for further scenes. I'm making a list, but I'll hide it at first, to avoid spoilers. And no, Graeme, I did not hack your computer. ;)

Scenes I hope we'll get to see in coming chapters

• Jim commenting the draft result at FM Pride, with particular focus on the brat, but of course also him not getting drafted to be the first out AFL player
  • The other three messages on Ty's phone
  • The Carlton football team explaining the draft, both to Ty and to the media. I hope they say in public that Ty getting away from his father (and getting a Dad :lol: ) was one of the main reasons he became draftable, together with the good work by the Lilydale Leopards
  • The meeting between Ty, Jim and Marc, the Carlton captain. I want to hear the brat say "I brought my dad, I hope that's OK?" :rofl:
  • Paddy and Ty having a beer and Paddy apologizing for not telling the brat about their interest and for using Jim as a cover. Will Ty forgive him for that ruse or be pissed on behalf of Jim (as well as feeling guilty about all the teasing he did as a result)?
  • Deon talking to his dad and I hope he has taped the draft broadcast, so we can get to know what comments were made about Deon being snapped up by GWS. Unlike Ty his draft wasn't really a surprise, only who would get him
  • Peter having a chat with Ty and telling him the Bulldogs wanted to draft him too and why they kept it quiet, plus the bit about Ty's father's sabotage
  • Ty trying to convince Julie to select Ross for the Leopards
  • The rookie draft - Dave, Jim, Todd and Paul are still possibilities as well as Ross. I hope Julie will tell Ross beforehand that the Leopards will offer him a contract if he isn't drafted.
  • Warwick and Ross meeting up with Alistair to discuss the next step (I assume Ross will come out no matter what).

Of course, before we get to see all of that we'll enjoy the rest of draft night celebrations.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Tim, you may or may not see some of those things in the next chapter. That's all I am going to say :D

Oh, and there are two more chapters and an epilogue to go. The epilogue will be posted on the same day as the last chapter.

• Like 3

Epilogue? does this mean we have come to the end of the road for the Leopard series? I know that it can't go on indefinitely but it has become a fixture on GA. I see an angry mob of fans in your future...

Just don't get out the pitchforks until after we've gotten our 2 chapters (and epilogue). :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I happened to come across a PM I wrote to Graeme two years ago after one of the first chapters of the initial Lilydale Leopards story.

Great chapter even if I did get all pissed at Ty's dad. But that just shows how well you did in writing him. The part about him criticizing Deon's kick was classic. He thinks he knows everything, but I bet Roger told Deon to take the sideways wind into account. In a way I almost want you to keep Ty's dad around, so we can hate him for a while before we see him being put down big time. :evil:

I guess you did keep Mr. Flanders around and we finally got revenge for all the shit he puts his son through. :D

• Like 1

Tim, you may or may not see some of those things in the next chapter. That's all I am going to say :D

Oh, and there are two more chapters and an epilogue to go. The epilogue will be posted on the same day as the last chapter.

Ahh... as you already posted one chapter last weekend I guess we will find the end of this beautifull series this weekend.

Look forward to it but I know I will miss this story as it used to be my early Saturday morning coffee time book...

Really loved the story sequel. Brought often a smile to my face.

As I played sports lots of years (soccer in my case) and was a trainer lots of years as well, in my opinion you wrote this sequel very wel  from the points of view of both players and trainers.

For players there is lots of tension if they get chosen for the higher level, or if they will have playing time to demonstrate their capabillities...

And yes being gay brings another tension as well.

For trainers they have to have that fine tune for the feelings of players to each of them individually to get them out of their fears and let them play for the good of the team ... But also make each of them improve their capabillities/qualities.

In my opinion you did well in this sequel with that from players and coaches POV.

Graeme again loved this sequel, well done and I look forward to the last chapters. :thankyou:

• Like 3

Last Leopard Leap tomorrow. On one hand I can't wait, and on the other I'm sad about the story ending. :unsure:

I have similar mixed feelings. :/

That said, I think I also read that Graeme will be posting a new story next weekend.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

That said, I think I also read that Graeme will be posting a new story next weekend.

Correct. Temporary Dads will start posting next weekend

Alan Thrush and Peter O'Gorman are a gay couple in their mid-twenties who have the support of their friends and families. Their comfortable lives are turned upside down, however, when Alan's sister and brother-in-law are involved in a serious accident, leaving the young men as the guardians of two small boys.
  • Like 3

I would have liked Charlie to be drafted, but it didn't work out that way. But, yes, by not only winning the VFL premiership but then having five players drafted into the AFL, the Leopards have shown that they are a viable path for players to make it into the AFL if they fail to be drafted directly. There was a conversation between Karen, Stacey, Ty, and Charlie on exactly that subject back in Leopard Spots. :)

Yep, I remembered that conversation, which is why I made the comment in my review. I wouldn't have known otherwise. Aren't you glad your hope of your readers leaning about Aussie footie came true? ;)

PS I'm glad you want to do revisits to the Leopards universe, so we don't lose touch with them.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

I'm reading the last chapters again, and I wondered about something  Do the VFL and AFL players of the same club sometimes train together? I can recall Peter saying he wanted Dad and the brat to always play adjacent to each other, so if Ty was being a forward, Jim had to stay in the midfield, because they had a connection and somehow knew where the other was or was going to do. My point is, if Ty and Jim get to train together, maybe the Blues' coaches will work that out too. Then it will be more likely that Jim gets elevated to play on th AFL team. Of course, paddy may have already told them based on his viewing of the Leopard games, and perhaps the coaches also noted it back in June.

Oh, and by the way you must have been laughing when I asked whether the clubs presented their newly drafted players at a press conference. I was thinking of Ty, but of course Jim is a real scoop. The comment about Pride FM's facebook page overflowing with comments had me grinning, too. :)

Edited by Timothy M.

Correct. Temporary Dads will start posting next weekend

Leopards Leap. Read Ch 26 and Epilogue today. Thank you.

Beautifull series of stories and nice wrap up. :worship:

Seeing some of the main characters fly out I can see this is the end of this series and I can only hope to find some spin off's later i.e. about the gay radio station or...

some of the main characters in their new situation.

----

Good to hear You start a new story. :great:

• Like 3