I ran into this yesterday evening – the first time I heard it. I think the syncopations of the first movement are really interesting, especially as they're not just ornamental, but the structural refrain the entire movement is built upon. Also, the performance is so lively and brilliant, and spontaneous sounding. Love that.

Tomás Bretón - Symphony No.3 in G-major (1905)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7PR0HXdjc

Awesomeness, AC...the full late romantic orchestra on display. And best of all, there are other symphonies by Breton available, too!

• Like 1

Awesomeness, AC...the full late romantic orchestra on display. And best of all, there are other symphonies by Breton available, too!

I posted the finale of his Symphony No. 2 as well :)

• Like 2

For this evening, a wonderful interpretation of Stefano Landi's 'Passacaglia della vita' by Marco Beasley and L'Arpeggiata.

Wonderful voice and lively performance. Thanks for posting this.  

• Like 1

This morning felt like a morning in Britten...I have always liked this piece, even if it isn't St. Cecilia's day today.

God, I love Britten. It's been forever since I've listened to any of his stuff though. His choral works are a joy to sing. Thanks for posting it!

• Like 1

Liturgical music of the Renaissance, Tallis Scholars

GREGORIO ALLEGRI ( 1582-1652 ) THOMAS TALLIS ( 1505-1585 ) WILLIAM BYRD ( 1539-40-1623 ) JOSQUIN DES PREZ ( 1440-1521 ) ALONSO LOBO ( 1555-1617 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQPwGulk_s&t=751s

[00:00] Gregorio Allegri, Miserere

[12:31] Thomas Tallis, Spem in alium

William Byrd, Mass for 5 Voices
[22:20] Kyrie 
[23:47] Gloria
[28:42] Credo
[37:23] Sanctus - Benedictus
[41:11] Agnus Dei

Josquin Desprez, Missa Pange lingua
[00:44:37] Kyrie
[00:47:31] Gloria
[00:51:52] Credo
[00:58:55] Santus - Benedictus
[01:06:53] Agnus Dei I, II, III

[01:14:06] Alonso Lobo, Versa est in luctum

Edited by Tomas
  • Like 2

…where's Drew at…? This one's for you, buddy!

I ran across this violinist last week and have been listing to her a lot. I find her playing hard to put into words, for though technical, it's far from academic. She has soul, in other words – and good taste and restraint as well.

What do you all think?

I recommend starting with the Romanza at min. 11:45 before tackling the entire concerto. :)    

Gabriela Demeterová preforming

Antonín Vranický's Violin Concerto in C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APbsvXHVIkU

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Liturgical music of the Renaissance, Tallis Scholars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQPwGulk_s&t=751s

[00:00] Gregorio Allegri, Miserere

[12:31] Thomas Tallis, Spem in alium

William Byrd, Mass for 5 Voices

Josquin Desprez, Missa Pange lingua

[01:14:06] Alonso Lobo, Versa est in luctum

I know all of these (including the Lobo) although I haven't listened to a couple for some time. The Tallis is my favourite, I think, out of this list - it is a piece I would really like to sing sometime. :)

Edited by northie
  • Like 1

Not being a great fan of Liszt I started the Tausig piece with apprehension. While listening I got the uneasy feeling, that the aim of the composer with this piece was to be able to show off how much of a virtuoso he was. It no doubt takes great skill to perform this piece of music, but it didn't impress me in other ways.

This, I feel, is one of the reasons why I don't like much of the instrumental music of the mid C19. I've probably seen and read much more than I've heard but, yes, virtuosity seems to win hands down, everything else is subordinate. The composer / performers knew their audiences and this sort of music was what kept them in the public eye (as well as paying the bills).

• Like 1

John Tavener is well known as a composer of choral music but what I've chosen is in effect a cello concerto - The protecting veil. Like virtually all of his later works, it has religious overtones but can be enjoyed by everyone. I heard this performed live in a cathedral setting soon after its first performance and it transported me: the ethereal and ecstatic first section is just amazing.

This link is to a shortish commentary by Tavener on various infuences on his musical life.

• Like 1

I know you guys don't listen to things I post :b but I'm quite fond of this performance, mainly because it reminds me strongly of Mozart's g-minor piano quartet. Kuhlau was a Danish composer, roughly contemporary with Beethoven.

Friedrich Kuhlau - Piano Quartet in G-minor, Op.108 (1829)

• Like 2

Oh, I didn't know about the fir

Kuhlau's music is wonderful! A lot of his piano music is really fun to play, and fits under the hand well. Ugh, it's such a total shame that we lost so much of his music to a fire. :(

Oh, I didn't know about the fire...many of Haydn's operas were lost in a fire...damn flames  

• Like 3

Yeah, and damn them for writing so much amazing music and leaving it in manuscript only!   :P

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but printed operas in full score versions were very rare and pricy. As far as I know, Artaria in Vienna was the first to ever do it with Salieri's Der Rauchfangkehrer, oder Die Unentbehrlichen Verräther ihrer Herrschaften aus Eigennutz (or simply, The Chimney Sweep) in 1781.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1294200005&feature=iv&src_vid=fx9VH8P_i18&v=0Qt8IXL1CKE

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

This is for Peter; he seemed to like it when I shared it a few months ago. Take care, buddy, I'm thinking about you :)

Domenico Cimarosa - 32 Piano Sonatas

Cimarosa's stuff was always fun to play on the piano when I was doing lessons still... Maybe I should hit up IMSLP and have some fun with his works this fall. I'm due for some new rep anyway... :)

• Like 1

Tonight/this morning I have an excerpt from one of the most peaceful Requiems composed in modern times, that of Maurice Duruflé. He superimposes Gregorian chant melodies over some sumptuous, caressing and enchanting textures from the organ and orchestra to create a beautiful post-modern sound-world. Though, I guess it's a bit of a premature thing to call the work post-modern as work on it began in 1941 as a commission from the Vichy regime, and finished in 1947 after the war - well before Po-Mo truly became a thing. Here's the Agnus Dei section:

• Like 2

Tonight/this morning I have an excerpt from one of the most peaceful Requiems composed in modern times, that of Maurice Duruflé. He superimposes Gregorian chant melodies over some sumptuous, caressing and enchanting textures from the organ and orchestra to create a beautiful post-modern sound-world. Though, I guess it's a bit of a premature thing to call the work post-modern as work on it began in 1941 as a commission from the Vichy regime, and finished in 1947 after the war - well before Po-Mo truly became a thing. Here's the Agnus Dei section:

I liked this piece. I listened to the video you posted and then the entire mass. I would say it's very peaceful as well. 

Thanks for posting it!  

• Like 2