Weightless: Ending Discussion - Spoilers May Abound

• Site Moderator

I haven't read Weightless yet, but it's on my To Read list. Having said, that, I understand completely that you ended the story as you felt it should be ended. I gather from what you've written here that the ending was not all sunshine and roses. Sometimes endings aren't that way and we must respect that. To not do so, would be wrong. 

In the end, I'm guessing you told the truth rather than a lie. That's a good thing if you ask me. In doing so, you've honoured "Zane", have you not? 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Without reading this discussion thread, I have liked the ending of the story anyway. Reading your explanation, l feel for it even more ... Sometimes life is just incredibly sad and frustrating and I'm glad that in Weightless, Zane at least have one love and many friends to help him / carry him through the darker parts. Now every time I re-read the stories (l will be honest and say that I'll re-read Fearless more often), I'll have "Zane" in my thoughts and wish him well, wherever he is ... Letting go and forgiving (oneself or other people) has never been easy for me, I'll try using your example ...

Hmm ... let me compose my thoughts and write a chapter review befitting of the last chapter !

Thank you Cynus !

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Writing can be all kinds of things to different people. But the best kind of writing has integrity, and that is for the author to decide. The few times I've considered straying from my vision for a story, with the idea of pleasing others, it never felt right, and I couldn't do it either. Kudos, buddy, for making the decision to stay true to your goals for this story... I commend you :worship:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Thank you for sharing this with us.

One reason I enjoy attending Frameline (San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival) every year is that the writers and directors of the movies often attend and participate in Q&A sessions. There have been times when they have made the movie even better than if things hadn't been revealed to the audience.

There was also a time when the background information proved that the writer/director was trivializing mental health diagnoses and treatment by tricking a psychologist into diagnosing him using made-up symptoms just so he could incorporate it into his movie! I was so insulted I could not remain for the rest of his answers.

My diagnosis of Depression and Anxiety are serious enough to qualify me for Social Security Disability, but I know my symptoms are relatively mild and manageable compared with many others I've met during my two years of homelessness (almost four years ago). Only a few people ever told me their diagnosis, but among them many are bipolar and/or psychotic. My best friend was diagnosed about a decade ago with severe panic attacks and as psychotic.

My therapists have occasionally asked me if there is a history of mental health issues in my family. But all I can tell them is that any such issues would be buried deep, very deep. I would never have been told of such a shameful family secret. As you can tell, I don't feel compelled to hide my depression and anxiety.

Edited by Former Member
  • Like 1