Astronaut John Glenn Dies

Up until his flight my dream was to be a Mounty(R.C.M.P.). After watching him blast off into orbit in 1962 at the age of nine, becoming an astronaut was added as an either/or to my list of one. I just checked my dust covered stamp collection, not touched in forty plus years. My pair of unused Mercury (1962) 4 cent stamps are just as I remember them. He was the last of the Mercury 7. The first to go up in to orbit, the last of his peers to leave us. I think he was my first hero and he never let me down.

http://www.space.com/34964-watch-john-glenn-s-historic-friendship-7-launch-video.html

170px-Colonel_John_Glenn_official_photo.

Rest In Peace, John Glenn

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"

Semper Fi

sandrewn

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 2

Bill W and Myr, I did not realize how significant your wishes of 'Godspeed' were until a few minutes ago.

' Godspeed, John Glenn '

The same words sent him into orbit in 1962

sandrewn

Final mission

(Kirk: Second star to the right and straight on till morning.)

I've read about him and seen the documentaries and films about the early days of space travel. The Mercury missions, the moon landings, great stuff. I'd love to have grown up in that era to witness it first hand. I grew up with the space shuttle; not quite the same. RIP John Glenn.