[NickolasJames8] Carolina Sand Castles by NickolasJames8

I think the thing I enjoyed most about this story is that of all the other entries it felt the most like a regular vacation. I mean it definitely covered serious topics relating to Jacob's family (and to a lesser extent Alex's), but to me that seems to fit in nicely with family vacations anyway. (Vacations and holidays were always when all of my own family issues were most likely to boil to the surface anyway :wacko: ).

It was really awesome how not only the story heavy at one points, and romantic at others, but also just all around "fun". With the sand castles and the restaurants and the walks on the beach it just felt like a nice family vacation. Oh and the arguing over cds, definitely family vacationish.

It was an awesome story, Nick, and as always a delightful and pleasing read! :D:2thumbs: Thanks for writing it and sharing it with us all. Way to go! :D

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I'm late, as always, but I only recently discovered Nick's stories and am catching up.

Nick did something really clever in this story. He could have written it such that the main plot was the drama of Jack coming out to his mom, and she can't accept him. But surprisingly, this whole drama was left in the background, almost hidden. Instead, Nick shows us the consequences of the rejection. Jack's mom, by some law of karma, is sick and away from her son. We read about Jack's suffering, but the reader can only imagine what his mom is going through. She rejected her son because he is gay, and I bet that in her last moments she will realize what she had done, but it will be too late. This is not in the story, but Nick gave us just enough information so that we can imagine different endings. By cleverly choosing to focus on the drama of the rejection, but on the consequences, he sends such a strong message.

Hugs,

Michael.

I'm late, as always, but I only recently discovered Nick's stories and am catching up.

Nick did something really clever in this story. He could have written it such that the main plot was the drama of Jack coming out to his mom, and she can't accept him. But surprisingly, this whole drama was left in the background, almost hidden. Instead, Nick shows us the consequences of the rejection. Jack's mom, by some law of karma, is sick and away from her son. We read about Jack's suffering, but the reader can only imagine what his mom is going through. She rejected her son because he is gay, and I bet that in her last moments she will realize what she had done, but it will be too late. This is not in the story, but Nick gave us just enough information so that we can imagine different endings. By cleverly choosing to focus on the drama of the rejection, but on the consequences, he sends such a strong message.

Hugs,

Michael.

I agree, Michael! It's very powerful when the consequences speak for themselves. It's also very true to life. If you get right down to it most people spend much more time dealing with the result of some drama or conflict than actually having the drama or conflict.

That's a very fascinating take on Jack's mother and what might happen. I think you're right, one of the best aspects of the story is that it's left up to our imagination. Perhaps as soon as they got home she called him up, said she was in remission and wanted to spend the rest of her (2nd chance at) life making it up to him. There's really no way to know for sure :)

Have a great day all and take care!

Kevin

Hi all,

Yes I am way behind on posting on this too. I read it several weeks ago at Nick's urging. He gave me some insight into it but I will have to ask if it is okay for me to speak about it. What I can say is that The situation with the mother, her illness, and her not wanting to see her son is a real story. That part is not made up. I find it way to true in today's ,and probably worse 20 years ago's, society that people can't see past who we love and just love us anyway. Makes no sense!! But, the story was great and I have been able to take some of this story as well as WTD and see what is happening in B. Bay. They cross each other in different ways and Nick is certainly trying to make his points clear. Try reading his poems, you will also be impressed. I have a huge respect for this young man and I hope to see him write a book someday and get published.

Hugs and Kisses,

David

• 2 weeks later...

My second read was as enjoyable as the first. :boy: Nick teases us, introducing us to a pouting jerk of a kid, but we'd better not jump to conclusions! :D He's a really neat kid. One question though: Isn't Alex old enough to pack his own suitcase? Perhaps his dad won't let him? Inquiring minds need to know. :P

The story
Edited by knotme
I view the building of the castle as a metaphor for Jacob's rebuilding of his life without his natural mother, first with his best friend, then with his parents, especially his father. The castle itself will not last, but the effort to make it will.

I do love short stories. :D:D:D

km

I got another idea about the castles. Maybe it

Just another take on it. Just a note, this story is about someone Nick loves, there is a huge amount of reality in it. Anyway, I hope my simple explaination makes sense. It is the way I saw it when I read it. Maybe I will ask Nick to come and answer our questions? He might do it. I would like for him to tell us in his words what some of this all means.

Hugs,

David :wub:

I'd really like to hear what Nick has to say.

Hugs,

Michael.

... Maybe I will ask Nick to come and answer our questions? He might do it. I would like for him to tell us in his words what some of this all means. ...
I'd really like to hear what Nick has to say.
Part of me, too, but part of me sympathizes with the vast majority of authors, who strongly resist interpreting their own works. (Enough commas, rec? :D:D ) It's up to Nick, of course. Edited by knotme

Wow, guys....all of this attention is making my head swell :D:D I'm so happy everyone likes the story. So anyway, to answer some of the questions......

1) I actually cheated. It's a true story about going on vacation with my bf and his family last year...obviously I changed the names but the story's real...heck, even the two blog entries are real. They're on my xanga site and the dates are accurate too :)

2) The title Carolina Sand Castles comes from a number of things....I named it after i wrote the story, and here's how I came up with it

A. We went to North Carolina for vacation

B. We built a sand castle

C. I was desperate for a title :lol:

3) I never pack my own suitcase....that's what I have other people around for :lol:

Well, I hope this cleared a few things up...i really don't mind commenting about a story that's finished already, but as a rule, I don't read the topics about stories that are still in progress because I don't want to be influenced by anyones ideas or predictions :)