[Jack Scribe] "Goblins at the Door" by Jack Scribe

Goblins at the Door by Jack Scribe

Jack Scribe's Fall Anthology story

***Possible Spoilers***

In this excellent and heartwarming story Jack examines the pain and devastation which occur when a long-term relationship ends and the joy which accompanies an unexpected reunion with a lost love.

I really enjoyed the way Eric recognized Steve in little Stevie! It really shows how he had never truly forgotten his friend and how just a name and a child

Edited by Kitty

This started out with a palpable feel of loneliness, and the story of Pete's cold-blooded move-out was wrenching. But everything turned around when he answered that door and thought he recognized little Stevie.

I'm definitly in the "everything will work out" camp!

This is a beautiful and heartwarming story. Thank you Jack!!

I have to say this ended a lot better than I ever expected! I actually felt more sorry for Steve Watson than I did Eric. While I'm sure Steve's years with his wife weren't all bad, and they had the gift of a child, it seems sad that he 'potentially' wasted time that could have been better spent had he been true to himself from the beginning.

The story was warm and real to life, with an almost provocative ending. I really liked it Jack.

• Site Administrator
I have to say this ended a lot better than I ever expected! I actually felt more sorry for Steve Watson than I did Eric. While I'm sure Steve's years with his wife weren't all bad, and they had the gift of a child, it seems sad that he 'potentially' wasted time that could have been better spent had he been true to himself from the beginning.

Steve situation is one that can not really be appreciated except by someone who has been through similar. I am, unfortunately, finding that it's more common that you might think. As a married gay man myself (and one of the very lucky few whose wife has accepted that I'm gay, even if she doesn't understand), I assure you that while Steve's life could've been different, that doesn't mean the life he had was wasted. I certainly don't consider the years where I repressed who I am as "wasted". They could've been spent differently, but having two wonderful boys at the end is something I would've hated to have missed out. Having said that, I certainly would NOT recommend anyone going through what I've been through -- there was too much pain and misery along the way and I am extremely lucky not to have lost access to the boys through a messy divorce. That would've killed me.

As for the story, I was more struck by the breakup of Pete and Eric. It is not common for a gay-themed story to deal with the breakup of a long-term relationship, and I think Jack did a great job of it. It is, unfortunately, common for people to start to take each other for granted, and then to slowly drift apart. It's rarely sudden, but a slow progression as they spend less and less time with each other. I want to congratulate Jack for showing such a breakup realistically and convincingly.

I'm also happy that there are signs that Eric will find someone new, but it's early days yet.

... As for the story, I was more struck by the breakup of Pete and Eric. It is not common for a gay-themed story to deal with the breakup of a long-term relationship, and I think Jack did a great job of it. It is, unfortunately, common for people to start to take each other for granted, and then to slowly drift apart. It's rarely sudden, but a slow progression as they spend less and less time with each other. I want to congratulate Jack for showing such a breakup realistically and convincingly. ...
Agreed! :2thumbs: Estrangement is usually gradual, whether from person to person or person to employer. How to end it with a minimum of pain? Given the asymmetry in the relationship--Eric need Pete more than vice versa--Pete had to end it and Eric was going to get hurt. Pete did about as well as can be expected, I think.
The transition from high school in Sacramento to university had been a difficult, challenging experience for Eric. Becoming friends with Pete provided a needed anchor for Eric
Estrangement is usually gradual, whether from person to person or person to employer. How to end it with a minimum of pain? Given the asymmetry in the relationship--Eric need Pete more than vice versa--Pete had to end it and Eric was going to get hurt. Pete did about as well as can be expected, I think.

Hmmmm. I have to respectfully disagree there. I think what Pete did was awful: to start with, he was unfaithful. Secondly, he declined to discuss things, and just moved out, no notice, bang, when it suited him. I felt that a long-term partner such as Eric deserved far, far better treatment even if it was over.

Just my opinion. :boy:

I think that Graeme has given me inspiration to explore Eric and Steve's reunion with a series story. Stay tuned!

GREAT!!! I'd love to see where this leads, and maybe hear more of their backstories. :great:

Thank you!

Hmmmm. I have to respectfully disagree there. I think what Pete did was awful: to start with, he was unfaithful. Secondly, he declined to discuss things, and just moved out, no notice, bang, when it suited him. I felt that a long-term partner such as Eric deserved far, far better treatment even if it was over.

Just my opinion. :boy:

GREAT!!! I'd love to see where this leads, and maybe hear more of their backstories. :great:

Thank you!

I think you convinced me. Pete should have said before he shacked up with someone else. Of course, then he would not have been as sure. And so Eric and Pete would have suffered together in purgatory for a few months as Pete made up his mind. But still, you're right, I guess.
  • Site Administrator
I think you convinced me. Pete should have said before he shacked up with someone else. Of course, then he would not have been as sure. And so Eric and Pete would have suffered together in purgatory for a few months as Pete made up his mind. But still, you're right, I guess.

I won't get into a discussion of right or wrong, but what happened is very typical. I personally know of two marriages that broke up in similar fashion -- one partner started a relationship before telling the other that they were leaving. In particularly disgusting case the husband was just waiting for his wife to have their third child before he moved out and in with his giirlfriend -- she kicked him out as soon as she found out what was going on.

• 4 weeks later...
I think that Graeme has given me inspiration to explore Eric and Steve's reunion with a series story. Stay tuned!

Jack B)

Once again Jack, another great story. I like the idea of a series too. :2thumbs:

Thanks much

• 2 years later...

Where is the series you promised?

Yikes...I'm embarrassed that I'd forgotten about this idea. Three years ago I was having a handful of challenges as caregiver for my mom. Except for that final months of her life that ended shortly thereafter, she enjoyed her 94 years in this world.

I will definitely think about an appropriate story down the road that explores Eric and Pete's reunion. Hmmm...

Yikes...I'm embarrassed that I'd forgotten about this idea. Three years ago I was having a handful of challenges as caregiver for my mom. Except for that final months of her life that ended shortly thereafter, she enjoyed her 94 years in this world.

I will definitely think about an appropriate story down the road that explores Eric and Pete's reunion. Hmmm...

Yes a really good story - definately needs to continue!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif