Amazing! So many surprises! I had it figured all wrong, but when "jimmy" showed up I guessed who it was, but that made it all the spookier! Heartwarming, a bit scary, and such a mystery. The part about his father blew me away!

It was so mysterious. What happened to Jimmy, did he kill himself, or was it something else? And it looks like he's bringing a father and son back together, too.

Luc, this was beautifully done, with artful misdirection. :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Can you imagine how pissed off Jayce is going to be that he missed it!!! The clown outfit made me laugh until they said it was the one from 'it'. That thing still freaks me out.

The tender sweet kiss and the class ring at the end was great. It also seems like someone did their research before writing this. The differnce between a pentacle and pentagram, and the purposes of the candles was pretty much dead on!

I really liked it Luc. I can't think of a better way to be spending my Sunday (being that Ashton Kutcher is unavailable), than reading all of these great stories.

Take care!

WOW Luc, that was an amazing story! I really don't know what to say besides that I really enjoyed it. :2thumbs:

I haven't read any of your other work, but I think I'm going to have to :read: .

Take Care,

Vic

Hey Luc

Vic told allready what I have to say !

A wonderfull story, well written and bringing a lot of thoughts about for ever love.

I think of Kyle's dad.. No so easy to be gay and father of a gay son....

Old Bob

I FINALLY got around to reading your story, and I'm glad I did :)

All your work is always well written and this one is no exception. Awesome job :2thumbs:

I liked the mysterious feeling you captured into your story. The spooky atmosphere was great and you even mixed a bit humour into it :P .

Anyway.. loved the story, loved the ending. Good Job :D

First off, your title illustrates a hazard of efiction's 1-to-10 scale. Suppose we were rating titles of this anthology entry. I would have already given a "10", so what do I do now? "Liminality"? Perfection! I had a passing knowledge of "liminal", which is a great word because you need several words to replace it (unlike diaphanous :P ). I hadn't thought that "liminality" is a valid word, but the darn thing is in even my widget dictionary, so it must be a common word. Fantastic! :2thumbs:

The tone was set so well, the characters real, and the conclusion a masterpiece.
Luc also did an excellent job in characterizing the others! I really got a good feel for Ritchie, but not just him, I also felt like I had a really great image of who Mark and Tyler were.
To add to that: Much of this story could have been boring, because most of it's plot walks a well-known tree, so, except for a decision point here and there, we know what's coming. (Some crummy movies come to mind.) But, like a great love song, this story is completely fresh.

The conclusion, of course, is the wonderful exception. I didn't see it coming, despite your hints, which are delicious on a second reading. We learn early on that Kyle thinks Jayce humorously resembles his mom. Then, in front of Jamie, Kyle tells us that no one but his dad resembles Kyle. I still didn't see it. :wacko:

I think of Kyle's dad. No so easy to be gay and father of a gay son....
Yes. Now add to that a gay or bi father whose (only?) close gay friend killed himself without warning and abandoned the father! Now think now scared (and hostile?) the father might be to the possibility of his son's gayness. Young Davie was a great listener for Jamie, but Jamie's death had to change him. Is he a good listener now, or has his anguish scarred over into hostility? I think Jamie owes Kyle. Perhaps that's why he visited Jamie that night.
I kept expecting Jimmy to attack Kyle or at least get mad or something, but instead he was really cool and helped Kyle work stuff out in his head.
Maybe Jamie was already out and about when the five guys arrived.
Can you imagine how pissed off Jayce is going to be that he missed it!!!
I suspect that Jamie was there fore Kyle, and that the other boys would not have seen Jamie.

I FINALLY got around to reading your story, and I'm glad I did :)
Jeez Juss, so did I, and I'm reading as fast as I can. Enough with the guilt trip! :D

Such a beautiful story...

As others have said, a lot of what happened was predictable. But Luc still managed to surprise us.

I think of Kyle's dad.. No so easy to be gay and father of a gay son....

I can understand where you're coming from, Bob.

But my take on this story wasn't that Kyle's dad was actually gay. More that he was the equivalent to Jimmy that Jayce is to Kyle. A good friend and a good listener. Jimmy had probably discused his sexuality with him and Kyle's dad had supported him.

Perhaps Jimmy had a crush on Davey (Kyle's dad). Perhaps he even hoped that he was gay. Maybe he had even taken his own life because he realised he couldn't have him. I'm not sure...

Perhaps one of the reasons Kyle and his dad don't discuss things is because his dad realises/suspects his son is gay, and remembers what happened to his best friend Jimmy all those years ago. Again, I'm not sure...

But certainly, a thought provoking story.

I haven't read any of your other work, but I think I'm going to have to :read: .

And I know I'm going to have to as well! :)

~ Marty ~

:) you know i loved this story and loved helping you figure out the characters i have just read it again since it was posted and still think its one of my faves you really need to write more with these characters and i think alot of people would agree and would love more stories with these characters as there is still alot of stories to tell with them.

Hi Luc,

So I read it... took a few days to mull it over in my head... and as always, I find your work thought provoking, but more than that, emotionally grasping. I love that the feelings and emotions are recognizable, more clearly to those who have felt them before themselves, and the way the costumes are not only a way to participate in the holiday, but are genuinely concealing of the things they are trying to hide.

I love that in the end he realizes that his dad has lived through and suffered some things he couldn't even begin to imagine and so maybe he realizes his own life doesn't contain such huge secrets and that maybe he and his dad can really know each other at some point once they talk some.

Hugs, Viv

PS. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I chose Liminality for this Saturday Afternoon and damn, I don't think there could have been a better choice. I wasn't expecting something less than a 'masterpiece' from Luc and I'm not disappointment. I wonder how he did it but Luc had wovena story with love, friendship, humor, sadness, frustration and so more. And all this so fluently. There's not one moment when you just break from the story. Such stories are rather famous and heard so many times but this one had such a freshness to it.

Awesome!

Take care,

Ieshwar

• 2 months later...
I chose Liminality for this Saturday Afternoon and damn, I don't think there could have been a better choice. I wasn't expecting something less than a 'masterpiece' from Luc and I'm not disappointment. I wonder how he did it but Luc had wovena story with love, friendship, humor, sadness, frustration and so more. And all this so fluently. There's not one moment when you just break from the story. Such stories are rather famous and heard so many times but this one had such a freshness to it.

Awesome!

Take care,

Ieshwar

Well said, Ieshwar!

So I read it... took a few days to mull it over in my head... and as always, I find your work thought provoking, but more than that, emotionally grasping.

Exactly, Viv! If it's like everything Luc writes 'grabs' my emotions and won't let go till the end of the story!

Once again, well done, Luc :)

-Kevin