[TheZot] To nifty, or not nifty?

Should B&W hit nifty  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should B&W hit nifty

• Sure, all of it
    • Yeah, but not 'til there's sex!
    • Just the ones its clear they're a couple
    • Nah

Here's a question (with a poll! Woo!) for everyone. Should the Ben and William stories get sent to nifty?

Generally speaking I like to fling my stuff there. I'm under no illusions that I'll ever publish any of it any place that matters -- even if I do, it's at least a full draft away from being ready for publication, which is fine. Nifty, while rather... spotty in its quality, has the advantage of permanence, and I figure if I'm putting something out there to be read I want whoever reads it to be able to find it next week, next month, and next year. And while I certainly hope that GA will be here for ages, it's a safe bet that nifty will be.

The thing with B&W is that they've only shown up in Firegrass, which could reasonably be read as standard heroic fantasy. The next piece, Dirty Basement (no link, it's only done in first draft and out for readthrough/editing/savaging) will have it clearer that they're a couple, and at some point when I get Wild Life going (the origin story) there'll be an appropriate amount of sex. Given that firegrass is just heroic fantasy, I can see it not really belonging on Nifty. On the other hand, it'd really suck as a reader for Nifty to have only two thirds of the stories they're in. Hence the poll.

So... opinions folks?

Here's a question (with a poll! Woo!) for everyone. Should the Ben and William stories get sent to nifty?

Generally speaking I like to fling my stuff there. I'm under no illusions that I'll ever publish any of it any place that matters -- even if I do, it's at least a full draft away from being ready for publication, which is fine. Nifty, while rather... spotty in its quality, has the advantage of permanence, and I figure if I'm putting something out there to be read I want whoever reads it to be able to find it next week, next month, and next year. And while I certainly hope that GA will be here for ages, it's a safe bet that nifty will be.

The thing with B&W is that they've only shown up in Firegrass, which could reasonably be read as standard heroic fantasy. The next piece, Dirty Basement (no link, it's only done in first draft and out for readthrough/editing/savaging) will have it clearer that they're a couple, and at some point when I get Wild Life going (the origin story) there'll be an appropriate amount of sex. Given that firegrass is just heroic fantasy, I can see it not really belonging on Nifty. On the other hand, it'd really suck as a reader for Nifty to have only two thirds of the stories they're in. Hence the poll.

So... opinions folks?

Hey Zot,

I voted!

I don't see the problem. Nifty has a fantasy section (sex, or no sex...or some) and it sounds like you might consider merging the stories as chapters in a series. There's also nothing wrong in asking Nifty to run your story in more than one section.

I love the permanency of Nifty and don't bicker about the wide range of quality on the site. All of my stories in GA's Archives are linked to Nifty. I also post a link to GA at the end of the last chapter of my stories on Nifty to promote Gay Authors.. I purposely am a Prolific Author on Nifty's list so that readers can find my stories. Right now I'm enjoying a story (Orrin Rush - The Lifeguard) from 1999. I guess, with ego showing on my petticoats, that I enjoy being part of gay erotic writing history.

Don't know if this helps, but it's worth a shot (Whoops, there's my horny subconsicious kicking in).

Jack B)

• Site Administrator

While Nifty is theoretically an "erotic" story archive, the fact that they have a "no sex" section indicates that there is flexibility, so including stories where it's not immediately apparent that they are a couple shouldn't be a problem.

I would probably recommend that you put all the stories under a single heading, with the chapter titles indicate the different stories. That way the readers can see that they are all linked together, and eventually see that, yes, they do belong on Nifty :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have heared bad thing about Nifty.. like once you post a story there, you pretty much loose all of your rights to it... not sure it if it true or not, but just thought that I should bring it up.

It has been a while since this topic was created, so I might be to late, but... :D

Kurt

I'm not worried about rights loss -- I've had to deal with enough intellectual property licensing issues other places that I'm comfortable there. Arguably Nifty, and pretty much any other story site on the 'net, is actually in a fairly tenuous legal position with regard to publishing anything from someone using an obvious pseudonym. (Doing anything without a signature on a piece of paper is dodgy enough. Doing something when all you've got is an e-mail from 'the_zot@hitmail.com', which is clearly a fake name, is into the realm of the absurd)

Not that I want to get into a discussion of licensing, which is what this would be. (I hate licensing issues with a deep and abiding passion, and the rant would be rather long...)

I think, though, that Ben and William will have to wait for their Nifty appearance until I get their origin novel written, as it's actually got some sex, and it seems to make sense to post that since I'm pretty sure that it's not gonna be something that Tor will put in print...