[Altimexis] The New Job

Guest Kitty

This thread is for the discussion of the Spring 2007 Anthology story The New Job by Altimexis.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

This thread contains details about the story. Be forewarned, in case you haven't read it yet. :D

• Site Administrator

As most people here are aware, I'm a married gay man who is out to his wife.

I'll just say that time after time in this story I found myself nodding as I recognised myself. There are so many things in that story that parallel my own. There are differences, of course, but so much of the emotion and circumstances were the same.

Brilliantly and faithfully done!

Thank you :worship: and good luck with your continuing relationship.

PS: In my case, my wife accepts (though she doesn't understand) who I am and my online activities. She also reads everything I write and offers suggestions from time to time. Her only constraint on me is that I have to be faithful -- a constraint I don't mind at all. Our love is stronger now than it was before as I am no longer hiding who I am.

But I also know that I am in a minority. As the story indicated, many relationships fail after one of the partners comes out of the closet.

Ohmigod! That's me!

It's strange reading a story that fits you almost too perfectly. You try to find differences and keep a tally of them until you're certain this isn't your story. I had to read "The New Job" twice to get the "this is me" out of my mind enough to really enjoy it. The ending is perfect, allowing the reader to come up with their own appropriate solution.

I came out to my wife a number of years ago and we're still married. It wasn't easy coming out and my wife isn't as supportive as I would hope, but life wasn't meant to be easy.

This was very moving, and it allowed me, someone who hasn't been in that situation, to identify with the character.

I especially liked the very creative use of tense-shifting to denote the "present" from the reminisces. Very skillfully done.

Great story! :2thumbs:

We're not so much coming out of the closet, more coming out of the woodwork!

I'm another one whose situation has parallels with this story and so I can hardly be objective about it. BUT it's a very well-written story, and its open ending leaves the reader to fill in his own preferred ending - or the ending which most fits his own story.

Thank you for writing it!

Sinbad

• 1 year later...

I am in the process of removing my stories from eFiction so as to make way for new up-and-coming promising authors, and moving the associated reviews over to my hosted formum so they won't be lost. The following is a review for my Spring 2007 Anthology story, The New Job:

Very well done. I think a lot of guys are in the same boat as you are (and were).

I am appreciative of everyone's review of my story. :D

• 2 years later...

I've not read much on this site until recently, but am going to read a lot more. This story is frighteningly real. But I am not out and can't conceive of how I could come out to my wife. Neither have I been as self controlled as the character (and Altimexis) and that probably troubles me the most, doing stuff behind her back.

I would appreciate knowing more Altimexis of your own autobiography.

• 4 weeks later...

First the story is well written. The protagonist could have been about to reveal any number of issues to his wife and the mechanics would work very well. The setting, the tension, the angst were all very well revealed.

Now for the hard part. I was married for 25 years. I have three sons and four grandsons. My marriage was disentegrating long before "the crisis". After everything is said and done I would never encourage any gay-married man to come out to his wife.However, I am glad things worked out the way they have.

Before anyone gets offended, please remember; I lived through this. Consider also, I would never discourage a gay-married man form coming out. The comfort of a loving home is of immeasurable value. The freedom to be who you really are has a value that is different, but not less significant.

Edited by sojourn
  • Like 1