When the Cat's Away by Graeme

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I don't know what the author was thinking about. He obviously hates kids, because this story is a transparent attempt to besmirch the character of that wonderful little angel, Katie. Simply because Darren and Simon (is that Simple Simon?) are unable to cope with the modest requests from the young girl, she's made to look like a little witch.

If anything, it was probably good for Simon and Darren to experience the struggles of looking after a young child, because it may make them think more carefully about their plans. One should not have sex unless one is willing to cope with the consequences, and those two boys are clearly not ready to become parents.

I do have one question, though. Is Melanie willing to have an audience while she paints? I'm sure there are lots of art lovers that would like to admire her... er... technique 0:)

That was a hilarious story but I wouldn't like to be in Darren's or, even less, in Simon's place. Katie is *cough cough* a very active child. :P I don't have much patience with kids so I'm kinda surprised that the boys haven't strangled her. But then, they seem to be good guys. :D

Since you're the father of two children so I guess that your experiences must have affected your skills. Right? Perhaps, that's why Katie is very realistic and has all the attitudes of a young children.

I don't think I would be a good model. But to help her, I'm prepared to buy her new paintings. After all, I appreciate her artistic technique.

But I applaud Simon. That guy must really love Darren for all he went through. :wub:

Ieshwar

LOL. Thanks, Graeme, for this hilarious story. I loved it. Although, the rain obviously spoiled everyone's plan -- the wedding, then its reception, which later spoiled the boys' plan for some sex later. The effect was also extended til the next day when the boys were supposed to do their thing. Thanks, Katie, the mice never got to play.

Again, I loved it. The image of the bride with mud all over her dress somehow got stuck in my mind. :lol:

ROFL!!!!

Graeme, this made me laugh out loud, many times. At first, I wondered if I was the only one thinking that Katie was a terror; I'm very uncomfortable around small children. However, those poor guys! I can soo sympathize! And now the drawings, and even more babysitting. OMG...

This is a classic, Graeme... A classic. :great:

CJ

This was hilarious. Darren's parents are completely insensitive, especially since he doesn't get paid. Who would think a teenager would enjoy babysitting a four-year old? It's my niece's age, and I'll tell you she wouldn't have it this pleasant. But in my babysitting career (a while back), I did have to take care of such capricious kids. And get cash.

I think this is a case of 'Parents who think of themselves first and their kids last' or someone was totally bad and this is actually punishment, though we never got to read about those bits.

Oh I have one question, kids have a habit of saying they found nothing else when they actually did and don't want to admit it. So... Where is the 'Jelly'? :lol:

Great Story Graeme I enjoyed it even if the parents annoyed me so.

A simple comedy of errors, through and through, From the first few drops of rain, to the appearance of Katie and the misadventure which followed. Right down the the stifling end. Sad thing is I have been in all of these predicaments with my own nieces, whom I lovingly refer to as Antichrist and Antichrist Jr.. This story was an enjoyable jaunt down a memory lane I'd just as soon forget!

Sadly I had no boyfriend who was willing to pose nude any of the times I was left in charge. The high point though it was only ever an hour or so until reinforcements arrived :worship:

Great story Gaeme and very true to life especially with the more rambunctious lot of children I know. The part that rang most clear was about shaking the bottle of pancake mix. I know mothers just like that! I'm related to them!

:P

Steve

Good sweet Lord, forgive me for I have sinned. But really, Lord, I was just just giving that lovely little creation of Yours a little hug. How could I have known she would stop breathing? 0:) So, I'll just do the usual one Our Father and three Hail Mary's?

No, sweet Lord, not the bolt of.........

ZZZZZaaaaaaaaaappppppp!

For me, it was enough that Katie died first. :devil: I mean, life with the devil must be easier to endure than that. :lmao:

Graeme, you wrote that so well! I may never forgive you! :P

:worship:

Conner

Edited by Conner
  • Site Administrator

Thanks, everyone! :*) Yes, some of the ideas used in the story did come from sources very close to me... ;)

I agree about the parents, but I've also seen other parents do exactly this -- volunteer their children to do things. In their defense, the initial babysitting situation was an emergency, and Darren set himself up for the second day. I'm sure the boys will get their time together... eventually.

The "real" pancake scene is one of my favourites, because my boys still won't accept equivalents for many foods, though we're working on that....

Since my last anthology entry was so dark, I thought I should do a lighthearted one this time. I'm happy that it looks like I succeeded :D

roflmao.gif

That was one of a kind, Graeme. I have had experience with so many kids (due to the fact that I'm the youngest in my generation on my mom's side) and believe me when I say, they come in worse varieties.

My nephews and nieces are so hyperactive that its a herculean task to keep them under control. The scene with the pancakes was the best. I mean, how many times have we all seen this??!!

Nevertheless, it'll teach Darren and Simon the joys of parenthood. lol

Awesome story there...goodjob.gif

The BeaStKid

P.S

I would have fared better in this situation due to my experience. ;) lol

• Site Administrator

Graeme,

Great Story! I was laughing through out it as I, and sounds like everyone else, were remembering our own similar experiences. As far as keeping it light hearted, you definitely did that.

As far as the topic, rain, I kinda thinking differently than others. If it wasn't for the rain, then the wedding would have proceeded and also the reception. Obviously Katie's parents were worried about their other daughter and leaving Katie with Darren. So...if they decided to come back early and Darren and Simon were engaged in what they had planned.... I don't know if any of the parents would be happy with the boys having "fun" with a four year old girl sleeping in the house. So, maybe the rain saved the boys from untold grief and explaining.

Thanks for the laughs, :2thumbs:

Steve

• Site Administrator
As far as the topic, rain, I kinda thinking differently than others. If it wasn't for the rain, then the wedding would have proceeded and also the reception. Obviously Katie's parents were worried about their other daughter and leaving Katie with Darren. So...if they decided to come back early and Darren and Simon were engaged in what they had planned.... I don't know if any of the parents would be happy with the boys having "fun" with a four year old girl sleeping in the house. So, maybe the rain saved the boys from untold grief and explaining.

Actually, the reception was cancelled because of a double-booking, not the rain, so the parents would have been back around the same time anyway (though probably in a slightly happier mood). Now, if Katie's sister hadn't been "sick" and therefore the boys didn't have to baby sit, then the boys would've had some explaining to do... :lol: So, if you think of it like that, Katie saved the day....

I once heard of a wedding reception being double-booked, which is where that idea came from. Someone had gone in a couple of days beforehand to decorate the room. They came back the next day to do some more decorating, to find all their previous work removed and someone else's decorations in place.... I still don't know how it happened. :blink:

• Site Administrator
Given that our three-year old niece is visiting us this week, this story hits WAY to close to reality for me to separate it enough to discuss it...

:lol: Why? Is your niece an angel, too? :P

I've been re-reading this (I rarely re-read, but this one is that good!) and it is just so funny, but I think the crowing hilarity just has to be agreeing to the nude pics, for nothing... That one made my side ache!!! :2thumbs:

Graeme! :worship:

I loved this story! Although I have to say if I'd been there a certain child might have suffered severe PTSD after I'd tied and gagged her to a chair and left ehr alone to tackle my bf! :P

And her parents? :ranger: I'd hunt em down and make sure they never asked me to do that again!

I did laugh at the agreement to do the nude pics though. That was too much! :cheers:

• Site Administrator
I loved this story! Although I have to say if I'd been there a certain child might have suffered severe PTSD after I'd tied and gagged her to a chair and left ehr alone to tackle my bf! :P

Thanks! I have to admit that idea of tying and gagging a child has occured to me, at times, too, but I've never succumbed to the temptation....

What a wonderful story and what a fantastic idea. I come down firmly on the side of Darren
I'm glad you agree Katie is an angel. Such a sweet, loveable little girl.... 0:)

Of course she is an angel...Even angels can be irritating sometimes but the fact remains...They're angels!! And no matter how angry you are at them, their one pouting, puppy-dog look can melt anyone's hearts....Sigh...

The BeaStKid

:D

I loved this story! OMG, relate SO much right now, because my brother and his family just got home from Japan last month (he was in the US air force), and they have three kids. The babies, who are 7 months old are twins, and they aren't a problem at all. Really good babies. My four year old nephew however........Tasmanian Devil.

To me, the part of this story that stuck into my mind had to be the very last scene, the last few sentences, because of the mental image they produced. I could just see the look on the boys' faces when they found out they'd be babysitting again.

Thank you SO much for sharing!

^_~

• Site Administrator
I loved this story! OMG, relate SO much right now, because my brother and his family just got home from Japan last month (he was in the US air force), and they have three kids. The babies, who are 7 months old are twins, and they aren't a problem at all. Really good babies. My four year old nephew however........Tasmanian Devil.

When I wrote this story, I knew it wasn't going to appeal to everyone. It's the ones who have had experience at babysitting or experiences with very young siblings/cousins/neighbours that would get the most from it.

Oh, and Tasmanian Devil's are small, cute, vicious and capable of ripping your arm off.... Does that sounds like your nephew? :P

To me, the part of this story that stuck into my mind had to be the very last scene, the last few sentences, because of the mental image they produced. I could just see the look on the boys' faces when they found out they'd be babysitting again.

I had a few goes at the ending before I came up with that one. Darren was just being polite -- and ended up putting his foot in it by inadvertently committing himself to doing what he didn't really want to do. The thing is that I see people doing that all the time. Learning to say "No" to a request is difficult thing for a lot of people since they've been taught to be polite, and saying "No" makes you sound impolite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Graeme,

I've finally gotten around to reading this little gem. Very funny indeed.

Though if I was "Simon", the next day when Katie came by I would be very far away looking for a new boyfriend that could learn to say "NO".

Jason R.

I likes this one.