A Private Affair by Bardeara

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

This is a very thought-provoking piece. We have two guys who share an extremely strong, close -- even intimate -- relationship that was, up until one night, strictly platonic. Indeed, you would have to say it was completely non-sexual as there was no indicate that either found the other sexually attractive.

But then something happened.

The depth of the relationship shows in how much their separation affected them. The opening scene makes that very clear.

Both main characters made the declaration that they're not gay. From what I read, I would probably agree with them: they don't fit the normal definition. You could possibly call them bi-sexual, but even that isn't quite right. It looks to me that they are two heterosexual young men who just happen to have found one person of the same sex to fall in love with. In some respects, they are the reflection of myself (a gay man, who has found one woman to fall in love with).

The story could prompt a big discussion on whether or not they are really gay, but I think I'll just take my lead from Felix's brother:

I was certain that whatever path they would travel down, they would be alright, but of course, I also knew that it was their affair and it was a private one at that.

A very deep and touching story. I really loved it! You have well expressed the special bond between the Randy and Felix throgh their actions and talk. You made me feel each emotion and thought in the story. Such a story demanded much effort and you did justice to it!

This story made me recall that there're few people who are strictly 100% gay or 100% str8. Randy and Felix are somewhere in between and unfortunately, this gave rise to lots of problem. I liked the ending. It was well-done.

Ieshwar

Beautiful Story Bard. Nothing speaks as loud as a love where Labels need not apply. I feel for the plight of Randy and Felix, trying desperately to conform to what they view as a normal life when they have found something in each other that in a way is more profound than any relationship they will ever have with another person. Its the slow realization that makes it all the more painful and poignant.

The only problem I have with the story is the choice of narration. For the bulk of the story it reads third person, even though the brother is introduced in the beginning as the narrator. His later in scene intro and the switch to first person I found a tad garish and out of line with the intensely personal glimpses of Randy and Felix's relationship we were allowed to see.

Other then that, another wonderful little tale, Thanks Bardera!

Steve

• Site Administrator
The only problem I have with the story is the choice of narration. For the bulk of the story it reads third person, even though the brother is introduced in the beginning as the narrator. His later in scene intro and the switch to first person I found a tad garish and out of line with the intensely personal glimpses of Randy and Felix's relationship we were allowed to see.

I'll admit that that was my first reaction, too, but the longer I thought about it, the more I felt comfortable with it. What it did was to refocus from a slightly remote third person view to a very personal first person view just before the ending. It was a bit disconcerting, but it brought things back to a personal touch. It's not something I would do very often, though.

Wow!! I don't have the words to describe what I'm feeling after reading this story. But since I liked it so much, I'd like to put in at least a few words of praise.

This story touched me right to the core and Bard was able to communicate Felix and Randy's plight so well through his writing that I could feel their dilemma. I could imagine myself inside the room with a raging storm outside as Felix's brother starts with the narration and then continues in third person.

Beautifully written and delivered. I'd give it a 9 on a scale of 10 if I had to rate it.

The BeaStKid

I loved the story and the final section, especially the last line, was simply fabulous. Relationships that are so intimate without being sexual (one night aside) have always intrigued me. Very well written, and a very intriguing read!

Nicely done!

Menzo

A very interesting tale, due to it being about a very rare, yet real, situation. Two guys, straight by inclination, discover that their hearts belong to each other. The closeness was superbly done, and Randy's fear of storms was very believable. Loved it!

Thanks Bard!

That was exquisite, Bard. :worship:

The subject matter was indeed thought provoking... straight best friends with a love so strong and intense that it sought, even needed, greater intimacy and thus ventured into the sublime.

I loved it! :wub:

Conner

• 2 weeks later...

WOW :worship: excellent story Bard. Very rarely do I find myself so involved in a story that I lose track of myself. As I started to read I was immediately drawn in and held captive.

Your portrayal of this situation was excellent. From what I understand most straight boys have some sort of same sex experience when they are young. Throwing in the depth of their friendship and the circumstances surrounding that night just turned it into a brilliant story.

Well done!

WOW :worship: excellent story Bard. Very rarely do I find myself so involved in a story that I lose track of myself. As I started to read I was immediately drawn in and held captive.

Your portrayal of this situation was excellent. From what I understand most straight boys have some sort of same sex experience when they are young. Throwing in the depth of their friendship and the circumstances surrounding that night just turned it into a brilliant story.

Well done!

From a project I did on the topic of Alternative Sexuality in India, I concluded that around 28% of boys and girls (gay or straight notwithstanding) have had some sort of same-sex encounter. The percentage is higher in case of illiterate children.

The BeaStKid

• Site Administrator

A very old Kinsey report on sexuality stateed one in three American males had had a homosexual experience, so your figure of 28% is well in the same ball park.

A very old Kinsey report on sexuality stateed one in three American males had had a homosexual experience, so your figure of 28% is well in the same ball park.

Considering that, don't you feel that we are living in a world full of Hypocrites???

It reminds me of a quote---

What they call sin in us is experiment for them