[Viv] Underneath This Big Ol' Sky - Part 2 by Viv

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

This is a continuation of Viv's Spring Anthology entry, though it largely stands alone, too. Most of the background information required is also in this story, though reading the Spring Anthology entry first makes it a lot richer.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave."

That's not a quote from the story, but just a thought that came to me as I read the story. There are only a handful of central characters: Casey, Tracey, Caty and Will, with Paulette and Janie playing minor roles. But with this sparse population, Viv has woven a tale where the character interactions are rich and complex.

Casey is the center point, with his hatred of the newcomer Tracey for the damage he had done to their struggling farm, his worries about Tracey's intentions towards his sister, Caty, but with an attraction to Tracey that grows as the story unfolds. Finding common ground with the knowledge that they had both lost a parent, Casey opens up... and Tracey responds with a right hook to the jaw. :P

Tracey is your classic fish-out-of-water character. He wants to do the right thing, but has trouble and too often does the wrong thing instead. He senses something about Kingsman Bluff -- a feeling of something special -- and it is obvious that he is starting to think of it as "home". At the very least, it looks like he wishes it could be home. It's a safe haven for him. A place where he can take a breath and try to bring his life back into order.

I'm not sure what to make of the ending. Have the two guys reconciled, or is it just shared adversity that has momentarily brought them together? While we've had indications that Casey is attracted to Tracey, we have no real evidence for the reverse until the very end. Is it that Tracey shares the feelings, or does he finally feel happy and relaxed enough to take the comfort that Casey has offered, or is he remembering a time when someone else held him close?

I get the impression that this story might be continued. ;)

Thanks, Viv!

This is a continuation of Viv's Spring Anthology entry, though it largely stands alone, too. Most of the background information required is also in this story, though reading the Spring Anthology entry first makes it a lot richer.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave."

That's not a quote from the story, but just a thought that came to me as I read the story. There are only a handful of central characters: Casey, Tracey, Caty and Will, with Paulette and Janie playing minor roles. But with this sparse population, Viv has woven a tale where the character interactions are rich and complex.

Casey is the center point, with his hatred of the newcomer Tracey for the damage he had done to their struggling farm, his worries about Tracey's intentions towards his sister, Caty, but with an attraction to Tracey that grows as the story unfolds. Finding common ground with the knowledge that they had both lost a parent, Casey opens up... and Tracey responds with a right hook to the jaw. :P

Tracey is your classic fish-out-of-water character. He wants to do the right thing, but has trouble and too often does the wrong thing instead. He senses something about Kingsman Bluff -- a feeling of something special -- and it is obvious that he is starting to think of it as "home". At the very least, it looks like he wishes it could be home. It's a safe haven for him. A place where he can take a breath and try to bring his life back into order.

I'm not sure what to make of the ending. Have the two guys reconciled, or is it just shared adversity that has momentarily brought them together? While we've had indications that Casey is attracted to Tracey, we have no real evidence for the reverse until the very end. Is it that Tracey shares the feelings, or does he finally feel happy and relaxed enough to take the comfort that Casey has offered, or is he remembering a time when someone else held him close?

I get the impression that this story might be continued. ;)

Thanks, Viv!

Graeme you broguht up some amazing points that i wondered myself, does he really enjoy being held by Casey? Or is he just using being held by Casey as a memory of maybe his mother holding him. Then agian he knew it was Casey holding him, and he didn't want to wake or even spook Casey by moving, so i kinda get the impression that he really does enjoy it. Besides towards the very end they were holding hands, and i didn't hear any rejection from that!!

Anyways it's was a very good story Viv. Such creativaty such imagination, it's downright beatiful. Thank you sooo much for writing this, it made my day such a wonderful one, and brought the frist smile to my face all day!!

<3

-LC

P.S: I really do like the way you ended the story, not too much detail but just enough to keep us guessing, and wanting more!

Your writing I adore - enough said, however a couple of minor niggles. As part two of a quartet it should visually look the same, and it's doesn't. True, I only know because I just re-read part one - but once it's complete....

Nice though the ending was, it didn't ring true - unless the whole section is a dream sequence.

I guess I'll have to wait impatiently for part three ;)

Awesome as usual Viv. :D:worship:

I sure hope this story doesn't end soon. You are so good at putting the reader in the scene, physically and emotionally, you are the best at it.

Paulette did he right thing, sticking them together so they would have to work it out. I can't imagine she slept much though wondering if they were going to get along or kill each other, she knows her son, but she doesn't know Tracey. She must have known though, if she had separated them then it would have just got worse

Although I do agree with Camy........if I got his point right. Two guys, who might be gay, but are acting straight, would have literally flown apart upon discovering that they were snuggling up to each other. If for no other reason than the chance of being seen like that by Paulette, Will, or Caty. After all the angst Casey had been feeling over Tracey just being there, and his attraction toward Tracey, then Tracey drills him in the jaw, just when he is trying to reach out to the guy. :blink: I would think that there would have been a little slow and tentative probing on both their parts, before they consciously would have got that close.........I didn't mean that kind of probing either. :P

I love it Viv.

Ex.

• Site Administrator

Great story Viv!!!

I couldn't sleep last night, so I re read part one last night, and read part two first thing today. I figured I could live with a few hours of anticipation.

What I found interesting is how the two guys really had an attraction to each others at first sight, but when their actions came into play they hated each others. Then, when they finally realize they have something in common, losing a parent, they can actually act out on their real feelings for each others.

I don't feel it was "all" a dream sequence, but more so when you get tired of being angry all the time, your willing to let you defenses down enough to take a real risk. In this case, both Casey and Tracey are ready to move on since they are both at that point. At least that is the way I see it.

Very well written, leaving little to imagine what either Tracey or Casey are thinking.

As always, luv your stories Viv :hug:

And since you will probably be leaving us waiting to the fall for the next installment, I do believe your starting to enlist the use of the evil cliffhanger.

Steve

Although I do agree with Camy........if I got his point right. Two guys, who might be gay, but are acting straight, would have literally flown apart upon discovering that they were snuggling up to each other. If for no other reason than the chance of being seen like that by Paulette, Will, or Caty. After all the angst Casey had been feeling over Tracey just being there, and his attraction toward Tracey, then Tracey drills him in the jaw, just when he is trying to reach out to the guy. :blink: I would think that there would have been a little slow and tentative probing on both their parts, before they consciously would have got that close.........I didn't mean that kind of probing either. :P

I'm afraid I have to disagree here; I don't recall anything at all that would indicate that Tracey or Casey are in the closet in any way, or acting. For all we know, they aren't (If I missed something, please correct me) and are fairly open with people they know. They wound up in the back of the pickup for practicality; so the closeness issue seems sort of a given to me. Winding up in Casey's arms might have been just moving around while asleep, or intentional on Casey's part. To me, the waking-up scene was the probing you mentioned; tentative questions driven by the situation, both discovering that the other didn't mind at all.

Viv, I really loved this. I love the setting, which for me is an additional character. I do feel that there is a lot more to come, such as Tracey's temper issues. I would guess that the intertwining of hands speaks volumes of their orientations, as well as their likely futures. :)

I'm glad to note that in this story, you laid much emphasis on Casey's and Tracey's relationship. :wub: For me, Tracey and Casey do have feelings for each other. I agree taht their relationship seems to have been given a small push but perhaps, they are comforting each other about the loss of their parents. They may not have vocalised their love but at least they have a small indication now.

Waiting for more, Viv

Ieshwar

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad to note that in this story, you laid much emphasis on Casey's and Tracey's relationship. :wub: For me, Tracey and Casey do have feelings for each other. I agree taht their relationship seems to have been given a small push but perhaps, they are comforting each other about the loss of their parents. They may not have vocalised their love but at least they have a small indication now.

Waiting for more, Viv

Ieshwar

Thanks, Viv!

Underneath This Big Ol' Sky is another beautifully sensitive story involving real life characters, sensitively drawn by you.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I read of the victory of love over distrust. Your writing makes me feel good about the human race once more tonight.

I hope this story will be continued!

TonyBillD

Hey,

Grand part two Viv. I bawled when Tracey talked about the Snowman activity with his mother. I cry easy, but shew. You have created a town and place that I' really like reading about so I can't wait for the continuation.

Also, I thought the ending was fitting. It didn't seem pushed to me at all, maybe because I don't look at characters at being Gay until they're out in the story. Right now, all I see is two guys, who suffer similarly falling asleep and feeling comfortable. Now, we know that Casey is curious and shows hints of attraction towards Tracey, but it's all hidden from Tracey.

What I'm saying is, when is two men comforting one another seen as strictly gay affection?

I know something has to happen to confirm or contradict what has happened at the end of this part, but right now as is all I see is Casey's attraction and two people who are more alike than they first thought comfirting each other. :)

Again, good complete story Viv. :wub:

Krista

• 2 months later...