[WrathOfMagneto] Slide by Wrath of Magneto

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

The start of this story threw me, making me think it was going to be very different to how it turned out.

Having said that, from what we learned later, that initial sequence rightly reflects Alex's thoughts. His last relationship had been abusive and that takes a long time to get over. The comment that Alex made in the narration, about thinking he deserved the punishment that his ex had inflicted, is one that I fear is too common.

At least Alex has good friends like John standing with him. John may not be the best judge on who would make Alex a good boyfriend, but he tried and, more importantly, appears to have broken through Alex's reclusive mindset.

There are some interesting symbolism in the story. Some is explicitly mentioned -- like the way he saw the soap suds disappearing down the drain was like his old life, which he has been think of while showering, disappearing, leaving a new, clean Alex to go forth. Others, like the video game incident, weren't as blatant. After his prior abusive relationship, why was it that a violent video game was his favourite? Was that Alex's unconscious response to the violence he had experienced, or is it just a case of over-analysing what he was doing?

Finally, while I know what a Ferangi is, I don't know the joke about the three Ferangi and the temporal vortex. Can anyone enlighten me? Not that I would make a good boyfriend for Alex, of course, but it's nice to keep the option open... 0:)

The start of this story threw me, making me think it was going to be very different to how it turned out.

Having said that, from what we learned later, that initial sequence rightly reflects Alex's thoughts. His last relationship had been abusive and that takes a long time to get over. The comment that Alex made in the narration, about thinking he deserved the punishment that his ex had inflicted, is one that I fear is too common.

At least Alex has good friends like John standing with him. John may not be the best judge on who would make Alex a good boyfriend, but he tried and, more importantly, appears to have broken through Alex's reclusive mindset.

There are some interesting symbolism in the story. Some is explicitly mentioned -- like the way he saw the soap suds disappearing down the drain was like his old life, which he has been think of while showering, disappearing, leaving a new, clean Alex to go forth. Others, like the video game incident, weren't as blatant. After his prior abusive relationship, why was it that a violent video game was his favourite? Was that Alex's unconscious response to the violence he had experienced, or is it just a case of over-analysing what he was doing?

Finally, while I know what a Ferangi is, I don't know the joke about the three Ferangi and the temporal vortex. Can anyone enlighten me? Not that I would make a good boyfriend for Alex, of course, but it's nice to keep the option open... 0:)

Hey, thanks for reading!

You made some good observations on the story, even the subtle points! :D

On the video game note, I was actually using the violent game as a way for him to just let go, and just be a kid for a while. For me, video games are a great way of letting out aggression, and what better way is there than bashing in the digital face of a digital person? I guess it could be seen that way, that he'd chosen the violent game as a result of the violence in real life. Maybe it could have been because he had a little more aggression to let out than the average person. Only Alex knows. 0:)

The video game scene is actually pretty much taken from my real life (without the abusive boyfriend). Some friends and I were at an arcade, and I saw that they had my favorite game, and I proceeded to play it for a few hours. I beat it on one credit, lol. When I looked up, I realized I'd been at the same game for hours, and had no idea where my friends went, lol.

As for the Ferengi...Which I just realized TODAY that I completely spelled wrong in the story...

There is no joke about the three Ferengi and the temporal vortex. I needed something that just absolutely screamed NERD, and that popped into my head. Lol, maybe we should come up with one. Ten free huggles to the person that comes up with the Ferengi joke!!! A bonus huggle to the person who can figure out which real life video game i referenced in the story!

^_~

this was the first story of yours I ever read and I thought 'I hope there will be another chapter'. It was like the first chapter and I was just a tad bit dissapointed that Alex didn't end up with a boyfriend. I agree, with Graeme, I never would have thought it would end that way and I felt the shock when Alex woke up from his increadably real nightmare. I really liked the story. I think it would be cool if you would continue it sometime.

Ok. My attempt at a Ferengi - temporal vortex joke:

How many Ferengi do you need to change a light bulb?

3 - One who changes it and one who tries to sell it to unsuspecting passerbies and one who wonders where the next temporal vortex is.

Hm. Not really satisfied. But maybe it helps to inspire others

this was the first story of yours I ever read and I thought 'I hope there will be another chapter'. It was like the first chapter and I was just a tad bit dissapointed that Alex didn't end up with a boyfriend. I agree, with Graeme, I never would have thought it would end that way and I felt the shock when Alex woke up from his increadably real nightmare. I really liked the story. I think it would be cool if you would continue it sometime.

Hehe, Thanks! :D

I wrote this story intending it to be a one-shot glimpse into Alex's life. But, when I was finished, I realized there were opportunities to continue it. I even have a good villain who could return and wreak havoc on Alex! Lol. The more I think about it, the better I like the idea, so we might see a continuation.

No promises though. ;)

^_~

Ok. My attempt at a Ferengi - temporal vortex joke:

3 - One who changes it and one who tries to sell it to unsuspecting passerbies and one who wonders where the next temporal vortex is.

Hm. Not really satisfied. But maybe it helps to inspire others

Hehehe! I like it! But maybe change the end a bit:

3 - One who changes it and one who tries to sell it to unsuspecting passerbies and one who was so stupid he fell into a temporal vortex while haggling the price of a replacement bolb.

I dunno, lol.

You still get ten free huggles!

*huggles you ten times*

^_~

I liked the way this started off: the idea of being flung from the fifth floor, obviously terrifying. The page was cleverly designed, too. The green duo tint adding veracity to the readers first impression.

Good one.

Camy

• 4 months later...

ROFL!

Thanks dude, it means a lot. And yes indeed you were the major inspiration for John. Ryan too, lol.

Haha, yep, it was Soul Calibur II. I mean, you were there when that happened, so you'd know.

:D

I can't really believe you actually made an account on GA, lol. O_o

:P