[Viv] Underneath this Big O'le Sky -Part 4 by Viv

• Site Administrator

Viv's done another masterful tale of personal interaction. Complex relationships seem to be a forte of hers.

Will is finally beginning to notice Caty -- only to completely mess everything up by misreading the situation between Caty and Tracey. I loved Caty's comment about hitting him if he doesn't appreciate her in her new dress :D

Casey is struggling to come to terms with his relationship with Tracey, and not doing a good job of it. The ending of the story was so poignant, I almost cried. The only saving grace is that there is still hope -- maybe all that Casey needs is more time.

I was surprised and proud of the way Tracey stood up to his father. His announcement took me by surprise, as did Caty's response, or, more accurately, non-response. Tracey had to have wondered what was going through her head, but she just showed her acceptance.

It doesn't come out in this story, but in context of the earlier parts it was interesting that both Caty and Will understand about Casey -- possibly even before Casey realised he was gay. It leads me to wonder about Paulette -- does she also understand her son?

If the misunderstandings that are going on at the moment don't resolve themselves quickly, there's a lot of potential for pain in the future. I'm personally keeping my fingers cross.

My favourite section of the story, though was the following. It had me chuckling: :lol:

Wonderful story Vivian, I feel this is the best chapter (part) yet. I won't comment on the Part 3 being stated at the beginning of the story rather then Part 4 as it should, because someone already commented on that. :D

Graeme review said it best, and I have to agree with it 100%.

Can't wait for the next one and great job.

Graeme said basically everything I was thinking, only he said it both better and sooner. :)

I REALLY loved the part about astonishment at not being able to ride. That's a great exposition of mindset, and what is normal for their world.

• Site Administrator

Viv,

It still amazes me that even though it has been about 3 or 4 months since the last part, what a lasting impression that your characters leave on me. After the first paragraph I was immediately taken back to where part 3 left off.

I found it interesting that this chapter really focused on everyone not really knowing how to communicate. From Caty not being able to tell Will her true feelings, to Will not being able to tell Tracey or Casey about his feeling of developing jealousy toward Tracey and Katy. I guess that kudos do have to go to Casey at the end for showing how he really feels about Tracey though :D .

I'm really beginning to like Tracey. He is slowly beginning to trust everyone up on Kingmans Bluff. Things like taking on his Dad in front of Katy, finally sitting on the rocking chair, going out and starting on the fence by himself. But most of all for giving Casey some room to deal with his feelings and understanding that he may not be in the same place as himself in accepting his sexuality.

Great chapter Viv :worship: , but it pains me to wait for the continuation. But I will be a trooper and persevere the wait :lol: .

Steve B)

I really enjoyed reading this. I generally avoid Westerns, even ones portraying a modern ranch, but Viv you've got me. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait three months to find out how all of this turns out.

Thanks for the great story Viv! :D

Carl :boy:

• Site Administrator
I really enjoyed reading this. I generally avoid Westerns, even ones portraying a modern ranch, but Viv you've got me. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait three months to find out how all of this turns out.

What makes you think it's going to be resolved by the next anthology? The way Viv is writing, I'm expecting this story to go for at least another year. The "ghosts" theme, for example, would probably be about ghosts from someone's past (Tracey's dad make a re-appearance, maybe?).

What makes you think it's going to be resolved by the next anthology? The way Viv is writing, I'm expecting this story to go for at least another year. The "ghosts" theme, for example, would probably be about ghosts from someone's past (Tracey's dad make a re-appearance, maybe?).

B) ...........I rather liked this chapter....Will can't figure out how someone of Traceys age doesn't know how to ride a horse...but can't seem to figure out he's jealous of a gay boy :P

OK, shout as LOUD as you can:

Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5!

Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5! Chapter 5!

Viv, are you listening? Hello, hello, Viv??

Colin B)

I think that's gonna be up to CJ... cause there's this new rule... and I don't want to be a rulebreaker! :o But either way it'll get finished, I promise... and I can't wait! :o But I know what happens so... :P

I think that's gonna be up to CJ... cause there's this new rule... and I don't want to be a rulebreaker! :o But either way it'll get finished, I promise... and I can't wait! :o But I know what happens so... :P
The rule MUST stay in place. That way we don't have to wait for the next anthology to get the next chapter :*):whistle:

Tob

Aren't rules meant to be broken? What good are rules if everyone obeys them?

I'm with Colin. Waiting for the next installment on a story as good as this is pure torture.

It's fine with me either way... tis up to the goat :D

CJ?

Hi Viv!

Okay, I think I should start by mentioning the difference between a chapter, and a sequel. A sequel does not require the reader to read the prior work to read the sequel. In other words, a sequel can be read as a separate story. A chapter can't.

A chapter is NOT okay in the anthology, and it never has been, becuase the anthology is, as it has always been, a collection of short stories (every submission guideline we have ever had has specified "short stories"). Anthologies, by definition, are not collections of chapters, and the GA anthology won't be accepting any chapters for that reason. It would just kill off the format we have, as well as making things hard on the readers. So, that's something I had to draw the line at, and it won't be moving on my watch.

However, Viv's UTBOS hasn't been chapters so far; each has worked as a stand alone story. True, you get a better feel for it if you read the prior ones, but, that's true of most any sequel, and sequels are okay. :)

The only new rule, really, is the prohibition on using numbered titles like UTBOS 1, 2, 3, etc, BUT, there is an exception for people who were already doing so for the title they were using. So, UTBOS 5 is fine, so long as it, like the prior ones, works as a free standing story. Just don't call it a chapter. :P

CJ :)

Edit to add: The rule against numbered titles went into effect a few months ago, and as Viv was the only one doing numbered titles at that time, only UTBOS has that exception. For example, if I wanted to follow up by winter entry of "Three for Jake" with Three for Jake 2, I couldn't. :) Well, I could, but not in the anthology. :)

:angry: Now we have to wait till spring anthology to get the next chapter sequel

Tob

yes, it seems we have to ... but as experienced readers we are used to waiting for the next post of a good story, aren't we ;-)

ViV: i have been looking forward to the next postings of this story since the first chapter. I really like it :-) - even though i actually think its not a "short story" (and shouldnt it be short stories for the anthology ?). Its definitly worth being posted as a novel somewhere, with more frequent updates ;-)

• 4 months later...
Viv's done another masterful tale of personal interaction. Complex relationships seem to be a forte of hers.

Will is finally beginning to notice Caty -- only to completely mess everything up by misreading the situation between Caty and Tracey. I loved Caty's comment about hitting him if he doesn't appreciate her in her new dress :D

Casey is struggling to come to terms with his relationship with Tracey, and not doing a good job of it. The ending of the story was so poignant, I almost cried. The only saving grace is that there is still hope -- maybe all that Casey needs is more time.

I was surprised and proud of the way Tracey stood up to his father. His announcement took me by surprise, as did Caty's response, or, more accurately, non-response. Tracey had to have wondered what was going through her head, but she just showed her acceptance.

It doesn't come out in this story, but in context of the earlier parts it was interesting that both Caty and Will understand about Casey -- possibly even before Casey realised he was gay. It leads me to wonder about Paulette -- does she also understand her son?

If the misunderstandings that are going on at the moment don't resolve themselves quickly, there's a lot of potential for pain in the future. I'm personally keeping my fingers cross.

My favourite section of the story, though was the following. It had me chuckling: :lol:

Thanks, Viv! Another wonderful glimpse into life on Kingsman Bluff. :wub:

Well said, Graeme!

I REALLY loved the part about astonishment at not being able to ride. That's a great exposition of mindset, and what is normal for their world.

Good point, CJ!

I have to say I was once again struck by how beautiful and powerfully written this story is! :D

I can't wait to read the next installment! Fortunately, I'm a bit behind on my reading so I can do and do that now :D

-Kevin :read: