[Tiff] The River by Tiffani Chin

Wow!

Reading this very well-written story was a very powerful and emotional experience!

This story deals with a very difficult and uncomfortable subject that not many authors would have the ability and courage to deal with. Tiff obviously has the necessary ability and courage.

The words I can find to describe the way the story works for me probably won't make much sense because they seem to be paradoxical. For example, how can I say that it deals with the subject sensitively and yet in places made me feel that I'd been punched in the guts? :/

Also, it seems to take an oblique but powerful dig at religious clergy.

There is a hint that the pastor had been told what Carl had done and actually encouraged Evan to kill himself. Was that really so? Was it part of a cover-up??

Thank you, Tiff, for an uncomfortable but ultimately rewarding experience!

:)

Kit

Wow!

Reading this very well-written story was a very powerful and emotional experience!

This story deals with a very difficult and uncomfortable subject that not many authors would have the ability and courage to deal with. Tiff obviously has the necessary ability and courage.

The words I can find to describe the way the story works for me probably won't make much sense because they seem to be paradoxical. For example, how can I say that it deals with the subject sensitively and yet in places made me feel that I'd been punched in the guts? :/

Hey Kit!

This subject was a bit hard for me to write at first. I went through several drafts before I got it down to the final one. I couldn't go into details about the sexual abuse, because it would be very painful for me, as well as others. So instead, I hinted at the secrets that Jamie knew. I told Little hints of what happened and then it was up to the reader to imagine the rest.

Also, it seems to take an oblique but powerful dig at religious clergy.

There is a hint that the pastor had been told what Carl had done and actually encouraged Evan to kill himself. Was that really so? Was it part of a cover-up??

Thank you, Tiff, for an uncomfortable but ultimately rewarding experience!

:)

Kit

You're right about the religion thing. Good job on noticing that. I didn't want to be too harsh, but it was a little blow to the clergy. I do believe that some people get very fanatical about religion, or they're sucked into the beliefs, kind of a like an acceptable cult. People don't think cleary and just want to believe what a higher power tells them.

As for the pastor, that could be interpreted differently. On one hand, the pastor believed in the power of the river, and encouraged them to cleanse their souls of their sins. On the other hand, Evan had talked to the pastor, but never went into detail. He asked enough questions to reaffirm his beliefs and went on his way. Personally, I think it was the latter.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Kit!

• Site Administrator

I love this story. Tiff certainly led me down a particular path, but I'm glad that the ending wasn't quite the one I thought I would be getting.

I didn't see it as a dig at the clergy, though. There was a mistaken belief in taking a metaphorical statement literally, but that's more a dig at those who believe in things literally, rather than taking the spirit of what is intended.

The ages of the characters isn't stated, but I picked Evan and Jamie as being around the fourteen age mark. The comment about girls, the height difference between Jamie and Mr. Goldsmith, the comment about them only being kids... they were still young. At that age, people can take things literally, especially when they were in desperate need of salvation. I can't imagine what it was like for Evan after six years of abuse, but I can really appreciate that he was willing to clutch at any straw of hope, and he would interpret it the way he wanted to, because he needed that hope.

A wonderful and moving story, Tiff. Thank you! :wub:

Yes, i agree Graeme.. its a really wonderful and moving story. I was a bit puzzled about the age of the characters as well.... and came up with pretty much the same age as you were (around 14...16). I have to admit i like the "side punch" at the clergy, as i am not very fond of the structures of church (as an organization), an especially not very fond of ultra conservative and "fundamental" people in general.

Good job Tiff .. i hope you know i luv ya (and your writing) :P:wub:

Awesome! There is no other word to describe it. I was wondering if they were really dead or not. This one was about an all-too-common problem. You were correct in the fact that it often happens without the wife's knowledge. They are skilled manipulators. The pain is very real. I was hoping for a great read, and it was delivered. :worship:

My goodness Tiff. I was so disturbed by this story in the beginning and up to the part where I realized the abuse that Evan and Porter was suffering. This was indeed a difficult subject to tackle and I think you did it well. I had a hard time thinking of those two young people taking religion literally and then wanting suicide. I know younger people can take that stuff on a more literal level than Adults and I found myself completely pissed off at whoever told Evan about the River being their only means of savior and escape...

Anyway, this story as I've said made me feel a lot and I was so pleased with the ending, that the two kids get another chance at life the way they're supposed to live and the Mother getting an eye-opening chance to love her children and be a better Mother, even though I don't really blame her for it.. it's just a terribly awful situation all around and a really messy way for the entire group (Mr. Goldsmith excluded as he has no redeeming qualities) to be the best at what they do. The mother will be able to be a better mother, Jamie became a better best friend, Evan a better brother to Porter, and Porter saved from becoming more of an abused victim.

Good story Tiff. :)

Krista

Very, very gut-wrenching.

*Warning: spoilers*

While reading, I kept finding myself sympathizing with the mother's point of view. This has to qualify under "every mother's worst nightmare". You take the two most horrible things that a mother could imagine - finding out her children are being abused (by her husband, no less) and believing that her children are dead. I just kept identifying with the horrible pain, guilt and shame she must have been feeling at that time.

You definitely don't shy away from the tough subjects, and congratulations to you for finding a way to really make the horrors you speak about leap off the page. It may not have been easy to read, but it was certainly powerful.

One small question, though: Is Jamie Evan's boyfriend? Or are they just friends? I'm wondering how exactly this is a gay themed story. (I'm not counting the abuse, of course; equating pedophilia with being gay is just plain sick). Not that it really matters in this context; I was just curious.

• Site Administrator
One small question, though: Is Jamie Evan's boyfriend? Or are they just friends? I'm wondering how exactly this is a gay themed story. (I'm not counting the abuse, of course; equating pedophilia with being gay is just plain sick). Not that it really matters in this context; I was just curious.

There is no requirement that anthology stories (or any stories here) be gay themed :) Jamie is just a good friend. Whether he is more is not really relevant to the story, in my humble opinion. :D

There is no requirement that anthology stories (or any stories here) be gay themed :) Jamie is just a good friend. Whether he is more is not really relevant to the story, in my humble opinion. :D

I agree Graeme. Also, Evan had been sexually abused and probably would not have been open to that for a while. Also, the probability of two best friends being gay (unless they're best friends who met because they're gay) is very low. There are stories where that happens, but the scenario is probably just as rare as the whole twin fantasy reaching fruition. Also, Tiff tends to be a realistic author. ;)

I love this story. Tiff certainly led me down a particular path, but I'm glad that the ending wasn't quite the one I thought I would be getting.

I didn't see it as a dig at the clergy, though. There was a mistaken belief in taking a metaphorical statement literally, but that's more a dig at those who believe in things literally, rather than taking the spirit of what is intended.

The ages of the characters isn't stated, but I picked Evan and Jamie as being around the fourteen age mark. The comment about girls, the height difference between Jamie and Mr. Goldsmith, the comment about them only being kids... they were still young. At that age, people can take things literally, especially when they were in desperate need of salvation. I can't imagine what it was like for Evan after six years of abuse, but I can really appreciate that he was willing to clutch at any straw of hope, and he would interpret it the way he wanted to, because he needed that hope.

A wonderful and moving story, Tiff. Thank you! :wub:

Hey Graeme,

I was hoping for some misdirection, so I'm glad the ending was unexpected and surprising.

I purposely kept the ages of the characters unknown. But if I had to estimate myself, I'd put it around the 16 mark. They're not that young, but not old enough to always be taken seriously.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

Yes, i agree Graeme.. its a really wonderful and moving story. I was a bit puzzled about the age of the characters as well.... and came up with pretty much the same age as you were (around 14...16). I have to admit i like the "side punch" at the clergy, as i am not very fond of the structures of church (as an organization), an especially not very fond of ultra conservative and "fundamental" people in general.

Good job Tiff .. i hope you know i luv ya (and your writing) :P:wub:

Pete you know I love you and your beta-reading, summary writing, and title creating skills! You're the best! I'm glad I haven't scared you away yet. :D

I have issues with church as well. Not all aspects, but some of the overbearing and hypocrtical tendencies. In no way did the pastor convince Evan to take his life as well as Porter's, but like Graeme suggested, he was just stating his beliefs and Evan interpreted it in his own way. For someone so desperate for hope, he would have done anything, and his mind would have distorted the actual meaning of the river.

Thanks for commenting, Pete! :wub:

Awesome! There is no other word to describe it. I was wondering if they were really dead or not. This one was about an all-too-common problem. You were correct in the fact that it often happens without the wife's knowledge. They are skilled manipulators. The pain is very real. I was hoping for a great read, and it was delivered. :worship:

Heya Tim!!! I'm so glad you liked this. Since you mentioned you were a harsh editor and stuff, I'm very pleased you enjoyed the story as a whole.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :wub:

Very, very gut-wrenching.

*Warning: spoilers*

While reading, I kept finding myself sympathizing with the mother's point of view. This has to qualify under "every mother's worst nightmare". You take the two most horrible things that a mother could imagine - finding out her children are being abused (by her husband, no less) and believing that her children are dead. I just kept identifying with the horrible pain, guilt and shame she must have been feeling at that time.

You definitely don't shy away from the tough subjects, and congratulations to you for finding a way to really make the horrors you speak about leap off the page. It may not have been easy to read, but it was certainly powerful.

Hey there, CR.

You're right about the "every mother's worst nightmare." On what was supposed to be a happy occasion, she was hit with a tsunami wave of bad news, of truth and revelations. Finally, she's being shown the light, but in the worst possible way. Evan could have told her, but there is always the possiblity that she would not have believed him or taken him seriously. It's only when you see something so shocking and startling, do you really accept it. Sometimes the truth is so painful, we go into denial. It is possible Mrs. Goldsmith might have done that.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I like ugly subjects. I guess I like to express the pain in writing. I'm very honored that you enjoyed the dark matter of the story.

Jamie is not Evan's boyfriend, but they share a deep bond, perhaps a form of brotherly love? In the future, it might become more, but that is unknown as of now. The fact that he is willing to help Evan and Porter shows how much he cares.

Thanks again! I always like your well-thought out comments. :wub:

My goodness Tiff. I was so disturbed by this story in the beginning and up to the part where I realized the abuse that Evan and Porter was suffering. This was indeed a difficult subject to tackle and I think you did it well. I had a hard time thinking of those two young people taking religion literally and then wanting suicide. I know younger people can take that stuff on a more literal level than Adults and I found myself completely pissed off at whoever told Evan about the River being their only means of savior and escape...

Anyway, this story as I've said made me feel a lot and I was so pleased with the ending, that the two kids get another chance at life the way they're supposed to live and the Mother getting an eye-opening chance to love her children and be a better Mother, even though I don't really blame her for it.. it's just a terribly awful situation all around and a really messy way for the entire group (Mr. Goldsmith excluded as he has no redeeming qualities) to be the best at what they do. The mother will be able to be a better mother, Jamie became a better best friend, Evan a better brother to Porter, and Porter saved from becoming more of an abused victim.

Good story Tiff. :)

Krista

Hey Krista!

I didn't want to just dive right into the abuse, but I wanted to ease into the horrors of the abuse Evan had suffered. I tried to put some twists and turns in the whole thing.

This story, although dark, had a hopeful ending in all the ways you suggested. The truth is out, Mrs. Goldsmith can be a better mother, and get rid of her husband. Evan can finally start to heal from his past pain. He can rely on his mother and his best friend, Jamie, who has proven his loyalty and love.

It's the whole cliched saying--it has to get worse before it gets better. In this story, that's the case.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :wub:

Tiff, it's not so much that I'm harsh. I'm just thorough. Beyond that, it has little effect upon how I view the story as a whole. It was well-written, and that is the most important aspect. :)

What a powerful story, Tiff, just like To Kill A Man but with a much happier ending. Beyond that, I'm pretty much speechless because this is such a timeless story. Great job, as usual.

Hey Nick!

To Kill a Man had a happy ending. Those two got together. All is good in the hood, not counting those weird funks Colton gets into every now and again. I really liked the ending of this story as well, because it gives so much hope for the future, for all the characters, minus Mr. Goldsmith.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Heya Tiff,

Have I mentioned how much I love your writing? Like, for realz! Lol. So powerful, so touching, so heart-wrenching... I would not at all be surprised if in a few years I hear about a new best seller from the award winning Tiffani Chin.

Luff ya!

:wub::wub:

^_~

Since I can't match the wonderful things already said I'll share with you something else, my feelings, oh hell yeah your getting it now.... :2hands:

At first let's just say I wanted to do very rude/mean/non-good things to you, yeah I know non-good things is not a word, bite me I'm special lol. Honestly though? Great work Tiff, you did something I always love and that was leave the reader's guessing the entire time, I'm sure more then half of everyone who read this story knew Evan and Porter, were most

likely going to die, but see I bet you a lot of people forgot what Jamie said in the beginning.

Hey Nick!

To Kill a Man had a happy ending. Those two got together. All is good in the hood, not counting those weird funks Colton gets into every now and again. I really liked the ending of this story as well, because it gives so much hope for the future, for all the characters, minus Mr. Goldsmith.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

I agree that To Kill A Man had a happy ending, but IMHO, The River had a happier ending than To Kill A Man. I loved both stories, though, and if someone asked me to pick a favorite between the two, I don't think I could choose. They're both that good.

Heya Tiff,

Have I mentioned how much I love your writing? Like, for realz! Lol. So powerful, so touching, so heart-wrenching... I would not at all be surprised if in a few years I hear about a new best seller from the award winning Tiffani Chin.

Luff ya!

:wub::wub:

^_~

Hey Bri!

:wub: You're so sweet! New best seller?! :lol: Not so sure about that, but I appreciate the compliment. But look at you, you have a future in fantasy writ:)ing. I loved your anthology. You're a master of funny lines, whereas my anthologies are sob stories.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks so much for commenting!

I agree that To Kill A Man had a happy ending, but IMHO, The River had a happier ending than To Kill A Man. I loved both stories, though, and if someone asked me to pick a favorite between the two, I don't think I could choose. They're both that good.

Nick, you're too sweet. I'm happy that you liked both short stories enough where that it is hard to choose between the two. I like to keep the stories at the same standard.

: )

Not an easy story to read, again not afraid to touch this subject, Evan is lucky to have a friend like Jamie. great job Tiff :)

THanks Drewbie! Glad you liked the story. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Since I can't match the wonderful things already said I'll share with you something else, my feelings, oh hell yeah your getting it now.... :2hands:

At first let's just say I wanted to do very rude/mean/non-good things to you, yeah I know non-good things is not a word, bite me I'm special lol. Honestly though? Great work Tiff, you did something I always love and that was leave the reader's guessing the entire time, I'm sure more then half of everyone who read this story knew Evan and Porter, were most likely going to die, but see I bet you a lot of people forgot what Jamie said in the beginning.

I for one totally forgot about it, that happens when such a good author writes something totally brilliant, it

Hey Tiff,

"the river" is the first of your stories I just read. I discover a perfect author and i will quickly read your other stories.

You say about your interests in your profile : "Any contact sport--I like to hit people.".

The way you hit us with your words is amazing : short, quick, direct . With very few words, you describe each character and they all stand in front of us, alive.

I support all the other comments above, I dont know what to add at the praises you earnt.

Well done, and now I have a lot to read :read: .

Old bob