[Dion] Just Love Him by Dion

I really found this piece heart-warming and evocative. It's clear that Patricia had good intentions for her son, but I found myself incredibly frustrated by her, particularly in the beginning of the story! She made some pretty big mistakes in my opinion, but she was definitely redeemable and forgivable.

I must say that at first I thought the ghost would end up being Cory after he killed himself :ph34r:

I was glad when it turned out to be her father and even happier when he was able to talk some sense into her. It's frightening to think about what he said about how Darren would have thrown Cory out! In many ways it makes me think that overall the family might have been better off without his presence, either physical or spectral.

I was also pleased and surprised the next morning when Cory came in to speak with his mother and apologize. It sounds like he's a good kid who acted out in anger but regretted his actions. Of course the best part was Patricia's change of heart :)

An excellent story, Dion! Way to go :D

Take care and have a great day!

Kevin

This is a feel-good story and enjoyable to read. The writing is very good, and I thought it was very economically written - by the way, that's a compliment! :)

Although I think Patricia should have been more accepting of her son's sexuality at the beginning, I do have a slight sympathy for her view that maybe 15 is a little too young for someone to really know what real love is all about. Sometimes I wonder if 25, 35, 45...95 is too young to really understand love!

After all, it must me hard for a mother to see her little boy (or girl) becoming a grown-up, and knowing how often teenage love often leads to pain, a mother can't be blamed for trying to deny that her child could be enthralled by such an emotion.

Thanks!

Kit

• Site Administrator

I definitely liked this story Dion :D .

Unlike Kevin, I didn't feel that it would be Cory's ghost appearing but rather Darren's. I figured that since he was dead I obviously thought the same way Patty did in questioning her father on why it was him and not Darren.

For some reason, having her father come out to her and be able to relate to Cory seemed to be less harsh than if Dion had chosen Darren to take that role.

In a way I can understand why her father described how Darren would react. It must be extremely hard for parents to deal with the coming out of their child. Since Darren would do anything to protect and shelter his wife from pain and suffering, could you not at least partially understand why he would ask Cory to leave? Not that I'm saying it is in the least bit right, just that I could understand why he may have done that.

The ending was sweet, and made for a real warm feeling that everything will be okay in the future.

Thanks Dion :2thumbs:

Steve B)

• Site Administrator

One of the things that I like about this story is Patricia's reactions to Corey's statement. She's going through the denial and excuses in an almost classic textbook manner. She's a lot more sensible when she encounters the ghost of her father. That struck me as odd, initially, but as I thought about it, I wondered what that says about society. Do we accept ghosts more readily than gays?

A nice, feel-good tale. Thanks, Dion!

• 5 months later...

Very nice work. The story held my interest from beginning to end, it left me entirely verklempt and bleary eyed. Mechanically, the writing was flawless, I would have liked to hear more about what the boy and the grandfather found emotionally attractive about their lovers. Perhaps the same trait...

Perhaps the mother could have lain awake examining her bond with her own husband, perhaps admitting how right her father had been about him, perhaps examining the nature of her emotional bond with him...

Perhaps I'm just wishful because I enjoyed the story so much that I wish it had been a tish longer. :P

Edited by Martin St.John / Gay Editor