Writing the Past a Goodbye Note by Rose Strailo

This is a very moving story about pain of losing a father and husband. I was very struck by how difficult this transition has been for Alexander and Lavender and I was really proud of the way that Lavender held together and tried to get through this for her son.

It sounds like Alexander himself has really had a tough time with all of this and then also dealt with a lot of other stressful, painful situations. However, like his mother he's held together and he's making the best of it.

I was really happy for the two of them at the end when they decided to sell the house and move away so that they could get a chance to 'start over'. The last few lines with the ghost watching them leave were a very pleasant surprise.

Good job, Rose :)

-Kevin

Life doesn't always turn out the way we expected. Our children are never as perfect as we want them to be, and we do not have the promise of tomorrow. A letter to the one you love is not always a happy one. Do not be surprised if the tears flow. At the end, you may feel empty and wish for the Earth to swallow you whole as you fade into oblivion.

This one is indeed a somber one. Feel free to grab a tissue or two, because you might need it. The story does have a beautiful and poetic flow, and it is definitely one for those who like to read a story that may not be a happy one. :(

Good job Rose! I suspect that some readers will cry.

You've done a great job of expressing a mother's unconditional love here. Not "accepting" her child, not "tolerating" him or "coming to terms" with who he is, not loving him "despite" anything... but loving him because of everything. Because of all that he is, because he can be both strong and weak, because she knows that there's nothing he could ever do that would make her stop being proud of him. What a wonderful mother you have written!

Oh my gosh, *blushes brightly* I totally didn't see the Anthology go up! I'm such a bad girl! For now, luvs to all who read my story and aren't comfortable with reviewing for what ever reason, or isn't able to at this moment.

Now, on to my replies.

This is a very moving story about pain of losing a father and husband. I was very struck by how difficult this transition has been for Alexander and Lavender and I was really proud of the way that Lavender held together and tried to get through this for her son.

Lavender is a very strong woman, even though I hardly use her. She is a central part in Alexanders life, being his rock for many years of his life. I'm very proud of how she came out in this story.

It sounds like Alexander himself has really had a tough time with all of this and then also dealt with a lot of other stressful, painful situations. However, like his mother he's held together and he's making the best of it.

I was really happy for the two of them at the end when they decided to sell the house and move away so that they could get a chance to 'start over'. The last few lines with the ghost watching them leave were a very pleasant surprise.

Good job, Rose :)

-Kevin

I too rather liked how it ended, especially considering it sat on my computer for 2 months incompleted. Oops?

But I'm glad you liked it as much as you did. I'll eventually do one with Alexander saying his good byes.

Life doesn't always turn out the way we expected. Our children are never as perfect as we want them to be, and we do not have the promise of tomorrow. A letter to the one you love is not always a happy one. Do not be surprised if the tears flow. At the end, you may feel empty and wish for the Earth to swallow you whole as you fade into oblivion.

This one is indeed a somber one. Feel free to grab a tissue or two, because you might need it. The story does have a beautiful and poetic flow, and it is definitely one for those who like to read a story that may not be a happy one. :(

Good job Rose! I suspect that some readers will cry.

I don't want them to cry...sniffle, yes, cry no. The tears will ruin their key boards and then they can't im with others!! That woudl suck.

Anyways, I'm glad you liked even if you wanted to sniffle. It turned out much more somber then I was originally planning, but hey, what can I say?

*hugs* *hands over tissues*

Very sad :(

But so true to life.

Thanks, Rose :wub:

You're welcome, Greame. I'm glad people like it and I'm sorry I didn't get to these earlier.

You've done a great job of expressing a mother's unconditional love here. Not "accepting" her child, not "tolerating" him or "coming to terms" with who he is, not loving him "despite" anything... but loving him because of everything. Because of all that he is, because he can be both strong and weak, because she knows that there's nothing he could ever do that would make her stop being proud of him. What a wonderful mother you have written!

Talking with mothers every day, knowing and seeing that love every day, and knowing my own feelings for my god children, it was easy to write Lavender. I wanted her to be different then the other mothers I've written and will write. She's the one mother that is what we all hope our mothers will be like.

But then again, she understands what Alexander is going through and know that this is his way of healing and being himself. It works well.

Thank you dear for your review. Thank you every one for your reviews.