Messing with Time by Procyon

This story grabbed me the first time I read it, and this time around, I have the same feeling: classic. :) At the heart of it all is a very classic theme -- don't mess with time. But the whole idea of giving up something so precious, of *not knowing* if this would come to pass -- I mean, poor Oscar doesn't even have memories of the future! It's brilliant. Really angsty, but also brilliant. As usual, there's the bits of humor -- going for the aquavit bottle for revenge; and the prose reminds me one of those rich, uncurling stories from the 19th century, what with dashes and commas in all the right places. Great job!

• Site Administrator

I'm happy to say that I picked the one hour mistake that they made. It also goes to prove that the requirements weren't quite right -- they broke the rule about silence but the spell still came off.

Personally, I don't want to know the future. There is always some angst in the future and I'm happier not knowing ahead of time. I'm also very happy to wait for the good times -- anticipation would ruin some of that for me.

Well done! A great story :)

This was an excellent story!

It really resonated with me. I have so many people in my past that I'm just that way with. We have all these shared, happy memories, but what do we really have in common anymore? I've even wondered if perhaps, like Oscar and Patrick, some of us have things in common we weren't aware of as children.

In any case it felt very real and very well-done! I thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

-Kevin

This story grabbed me the first time I read it, and this time around, I have the same feeling: classic. :) At the heart of it all is a very classic theme -- don't mess with time. But the whole idea of giving up something so precious, of *not knowing* if this would come to pass -- I mean, poor Oscar doesn't even have memories of the future! It's brilliant. Really angsty, but also brilliant. As usual, there's the bits of humor -- going for the aquavit bottle for revenge; and the prose reminds me one of those rich, uncurling stories from the 19th century, what with dashes and commas in all the right places. Great job!

I thought you'd like the aquavit bottle. :lol: We could try some aquavit with ordinary pickled herring the next time btw, rather than fermented herring... I'm sure it'd taste better.

I'm happy to say that I picked the one hour mistake that they made. It also goes to prove that the requirements weren't quite right -- they broke the rule about silence but the spell still came off.

Personally, I don't want to know the future. There is always some angst in the future and I'm happier not knowing ahead of time. I'm also very happy to wait for the good times -- anticipation would ruin some of that for me.

Well done! A great story :)

Thanks! :) Yeah, I wouldn't want to know the future either -- specifically, right now I don't want to know if the universe will be annihilated in a few months' time when the big bang is reinacted... :blink:

And I was thinking about the rule about silence -- they didn't stick to that of course, but I decided that the spell would work anyway.

This was an excellent story!

It really resonated with me. I have so many people in my past that I'm just that way with. We have all these shared, happy memories, but what do we really have in common anymore? I've even wondered if perhaps, like Oscar and Patrick, some of us have things in common we weren't aware of as children.

In any case it felt very real and very well-done! I thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

-Kevin

Glad you liked it. :) It's interesting how you drift apart like that, and it'd probably be scary if you got to see that kind of thing the way they did. Another interesting thing: if I'd met my present self when I was twenty, I'm not sure if I'd have approved of myself. I was such an idealist for a while. :funny: Okay maybe not twenty but sixteen, haha.

Excellent story Maria, I had to read it twice heh, Never mess with time, it can screw everything up, wants to hug oscar..

Aww yeah, give Oscar a hug, he needs it. :D

This story really drew me in and grabbed me, right from the beginning. I wanted to know what happened, though I knew that whatever happened would be bad. The idea of seeing into my own future is horrifying, but allowing the story to show me the future of others is fun, in a voyeuristic sort of way.

I was also impressed by the way the story evoked lots of vivid images without using lots of words and elaborate language. The boulder and the ash tree... the midsummer midnight sky.

Thanks for giving us the pleasure of this story!

:)

Kit

This story really drew me in and grabbed me, right from the beginning. I wanted to know what happened, though I knew that whatever happened would be bad. The idea of seeing into my own future is horrifying, but allowing the story to show me the future of others is fun, in a voyeuristic sort of way.

I was also impressed by the way the story evoked lots of vivid images without using lots of words and elaborate language. The boulder and the ash tree... the midsummer midnight sky.

Thanks for giving us the pleasure of this story!

:)

Kit

Yeah the dead tree was a bit of a hint that it couldn't end well, and even an allusion to how Oscar'd get killed. :D Glad you liked the story!

Btw I actually imagined that they might get a happy ending after all, later. That Patrick came to his senses and decided visions like that can't be true and told Oscar all about it, or that Jenny got run over by a bus and Patrick could tell Oscar he loved him. Actually there's ample material for a sequel there...

• 2 weeks later...