[Tiff] Good Intentions, My Friend by Tiffani Chin

• Site Administrator

Good Intentions, My Friend by Tiffani Chin

Terry is heading down a dangerous path. Lawrence makes a decision to help his friend at any cost. His idea is brilliant, but he forgets one thing: nothing ever goes according to plan.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

• Site Administrator

I didn't want to be the first one to post on this story, but I suppose I have to :(

Firstly, Tiff has produced another very powerful story. The characters are well presented and very, very believable. I felt for Lawrence, and even for Terry, as the story unfolded. Lawrence was caught, watching his friend, the one he loved, engage in self-destructive behaviour.

Terry was the one who lived for the now. Lawrence was the one who wanted him to live for the future. Both are legitimate approaches to life, but it is better to live for both.

I could see the train-wreck (or, in this case, car wreck) happening, and kept wishing it would be averted. Sadly, Tiff went with reality, rather than romance... :(

I only want to make two comments on the ending. One, we don't know if Terry got his wish. All we know is that he tried.

The other point is that, while he said he was accepting responsibility, he was still the same selfish brat that he had been for the previous two years. In the effort to get what he wanted, he didn't think of the other people involved. He was willing to sacrifice the life of a complete stranger (and possibly strangers -- that could be a family on their way home) to get what he wanted.

As for Lawrence, I don't think he did the wrong thing with his deception. He just hadn't thought of all the possible consequences and planned to counter them, and that lack has had tragic results.

Tiff... :worship: A very, very powerful story. Thank you.

Excellent story!

Terry was such a deplorable little SOB. I really don't feel much if any sadness for him. He willfully endangered countless sex partners and knowingly hurt Lawrence. My only sympathy and sadness is for Lawrence who probably will blame himself and feel sad.

If anything I'd say the only unbelievable part of the story was that Terry wasn't positive. His selfish reaction to the news was certainly in character and Lawrence scare attempt was foreshadowed nicely in his interaction with Jake.

What an important story to be told! :worship:

I only hope it makes others reconsider their foolish actions before it's too late. For Terry, he seemed hellbent on killing himself one way or another anyway.

Awesome job, Tiff! :D

-Kevin

• Site Administrator
If anything I'd say the only unbelievable part of the story was that Terry wasn't positive.

I didn't find that unbelievable. Given the environment he was in (college age students), getting AIDS into that environment requires someone to have had unprotected sex with someone from outside that environment (assuming they didn't start college positive). Possible, but the odds were in Terry's favour... but the odds were going to catch up with him sooner or later.

Ouch. That's all I can say, is Ouch. Terry was killing himself with his actions, even if he did in reality test negative, and Lawrence was the one that signed the death warrant. Good story, just wish the ending was different. Unfortunately, life doesn't always finish with happy endings

Jon

I didn't find that unbelievable. Given the environment he was in (college age students), getting AIDS into that environment requires someone to have had unprotected sex with someone from outside that environment (assuming they didn't start college positive). Possible, but the odds were in Terry's favour... but the odds were going to catch up with him sooner or later.

Actually, while I don't have the figures in front of me at the moment, a significant percentage of HIV is acquired in the late teens. Given that Terry was undoubtedly sexually active - very active - in his teens, I thing it's more likely than not he would have been exposed to HIV.

• Site Administrator
Actually, while I don't have the figures in front of me at the moment, a significant percentage of HIV is acquired in the late teens. Given that Terry was undoubtedly sexually active - very active - in his teens, I thing it's more likely than not he would have been exposed to HIV.

I stand corrected :) I think I was being influenced by my perception of the situation in Australia, though I don't have any age breakup figures for new cases.

Gay Teens and young adults are among the most rapidly rising segment of the population with regards to HIV infection. The theory of course is that they're too young to remember/have seen the effects of HIV/AIDS combined with the general feelings of invincibility that is fairly common in youth. There's also a perception that HIV isn't a 'big deal' anymore or that it is more or less inevitable.

I saw a documentary awhile back which drew parallels between unwed, teen mothers in impoverished communities and HIV+ teens in the gay community. In both there was a general sentiment of having done it so that the man would love them. Combined with a general feeling of powerlessness to ask for protection, and finally, and most tellingly, a general lack of expectation for a future. There was even a sense of "well now I'll get sympathy and people will help take care of me."

As long as people feel disenfranchised and powerless to take an active role in their futures they're going to continue making self-destructive decisions because they don't feel like they have any options and/or that there's no point in trying. If you are dependent on another human being (emotionally or economically) then it's much harder to demand safer sex.

Education is a very powerful tool, but it's only part of the solution. Another big chunk of the solution comes from getting people to care enough - about themselves, their partner, and their future - to actually put that knowledge to use.

Terry clearly didn't care about himself, his sex partners, or his future. Nor did he truly care enough even about Lawrence.

I think Tiff's depiction of the character was extremely dead on.

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Tiff!

My god you're evil, just completely and and... well EVIL! :(

I knew it was going to be an impacting story when I read the description sentences, but I am sure I wasn't prepared for it. At first I didn't like Terry, I thought he was being an idiot (before the unprotected sex part), but then when he was doing the unprotected sex and not knowing his status, just made me hate him. I also felt bad for Lawrence at this point in the story. I liked that he finally got Terry to be tested...

But damn I hate Lawrence far worse by the end of the story... I can't stand it.. lol. They're college aged kids, they should be able to plan things out a lot better than what Lawrence did. He at least should have stayed with Terry... but I don't like that Lawrence even enacted this horrible plan. What Lawrence.. is just evil, you just don't do that sort of thing to someone you 'love.'

Sigh... Tiff you're evil! lol. I liked the story though, it had a good message, to have protected sex.. and now your status, those are good things. Your characters just seem so inhumane towards one another and really it was a Toxic friendship that led to the death of one, and likely both of them since I know I couldn't live with knowing I killed my best friend, the person I loved, with a sadistically evil ploy to get him to change INTO someone that I wanted to love. Sex problem aside, Lawrence was trying to change him..

Lordy woman.. OOPS themes I thought were going to be less evil.. but no.. you won the award so far. I still love you though.

OH!! and I forgot... I love the Pink. :)

Let me just start off by saying the second I finished reading this story, I called tiff and yelled at her for making me read such an emotional, depressing story. And I proceeded to yell at her random things because I was so frustrated with the story. I was frustrated because of how real it is. I was frustrated because there are so many Terry

Tiff!

But damn I hate Lawrence far worse by the end of the story... I can't stand it.. lol. They're college aged kids, they should be able to plan things out a lot better than what Lawrence did. He at least should have stayed with Terry... but I don't like that Lawrence even enacted this horrible plan. What Lawrence.. is just evil, you just don't do that sort of thing to someone you 'love.'

Well Krista, I dissagree. Lawrence knew Terry better then anyone. He knew that if Terry found out he was neg, he would contiune with his unprotected sex, and will lead him down the same road sooner or later, death.

Lawrence was in love with Terry. He was basicly watching Terry throw his life away and I'm sure it killed him every second. I agree that Lawrence should have stayed with Terry, but shit happens.

Terry's selfish, Lawrence was in love.

I only want to make two comments on the ending. One, we don't know if Terry got his wish. All we know is that he tried.

The other point is that, while he said he was accepting responsibility, he was still the same selfish brat that he had been for the previous two years. In the effort to get what he wanted, he didn't think of the other people involved. He was willing to sacrifice the life of a complete stranger (and possibly strangers -- that could be a family on their way home) to get what he wanted.

As for Lawrence, I don't think he did the wrong thing with his deception. He just hadn't thought of all the possible consequences and planned to counter them, and that lack has had tragic results.

That's the thing with the ending, it's not necessarily a sad and conclusive one. Well, it is sad, under the circumstances, being that it was intentional. But like you said, Graeme, we don't know for sure if whether or not Terry killed himself. I cut off the ending right after the impact because I wanted to leave that up to the reader's imagination. Like you also mentioned, Terry was selfish to the very end. Suicide, even the attempt, is the most selfish act possible. It's never the right thing and even if they think it is, so many people are left to suffer in the aftermath. I could see in his mind why he wanted to save Lawrence the trouble of caring for him, but suicide is still not the answer.

Lawrence's deception gone wrong, in my opinion, is that ironic dark humor that makes it an "oh shit" moment. In his effort to help his friend out, with the very best intentions of course, he never expected how Terry would take the news and handle it. There is no such thing as analyzing ever angle and possibility and in this case, it was a dangerous gamble for Lawrence to make. And we all know that lots of people have good intentions, but the outcome turns out badly. I specifically chose this title because numerous times, people would tell me "My intentions were good" whereas I would reply, "Yeah, but the outcome is the same, nonetheless."

Thanks for commenting!

Excellent story!

Terry was such a deplorable little SOB. I really don't feel much if any sadness for him. He willfully endangered countless sex partners and knowingly hurt Lawrence. My only sympathy and sadness is for Lawrence who probably will blame himself and feel sad.

If anything I'd say the only unbelievable part of the story was that Terry wasn't positive. His selfish reaction to the news was certainly in character and Lawrence scare attempt was foreshadowed nicely in his interaction with Jake.

What an important story to be told! :worship:

I only hope it makes others reconsider their foolish actions before it's too late. For Terry, he seemed hellbent on killing himself one way or another anyway.

Awesome job, Tiff! :D

-Kevin

Hey Kevin!

I'd have to agree with you on the lack of sympathy for Terry. I portrayed him as a spoiled guy who was used to having his friends and family care for him and he took them for granted. In my opinion, that's a lot of our youth today, who enjoy life, but don't always look around them at their surroundings, or they choose to be ignorant of the facts. The only time I feel bad for Terry is when he has to deal with the news of being positive. That's agony for anyone. And then at the end when he makes that decision to end his life, he's trying to think of Lawrence, and regretting his actions, and regret is also tough to handle. Not to mention he's totally clueless to the truth!

Portraying Terry as someone who is highly promiscuous, it would seem more believeable that he would be positive, but alas, it's a story and I had to tweak it somehow. Let's just say that Terry was very lucky, but his luck ran out with Lawrence's plan...

Thanks for commenting! :wub:

Good story, (good intentions doesn't always work way we attended them)

In a way I do feel bad for both, he obviously, cares for Lawrence, just doesn't think and shouldn't of done it..

Terry is one of those characters that are stupidly naive and innocent, yet in the end, it's still their own fault. Although, in this case, Lawrence had a bit to do with it.

Thanks for commenting, Drewbie. :wub:

Ouch. That's all I can say, is Ouch. Terry was killing himself with his actions, even if he did in reality test negative, and Lawrence was the one that signed the death warrant. Good story, just wish the ending was different. Unfortunately, life doesn't always finish with happy endings

Jon

Hey, John,

"Lawrence was the one that signed the death warrant"---> I liked how you phrased that. It's definitely true, since Terry was certainly heading down that path. It would have been a good thing that Lawrence had intervened and gave terry the shock of his life, but then Terry had to take it too far. Both of their actions were definitely intertwined.

A lot of people wished for a different ending, but that's the thing with life, very rarely does it have a happy ending. We just have to be content with whatever we get.

Thanks for commenting!

Tiff!

My god you're evil, just completely and and... well EVIL! :(

Well, I thought we had already established that ages ago! This is news to you?! :P

At first I didn't like Terry, I thought he was being an idiot (before the unprotected sex part), but then when he was doing the unprotected sex and not knowing his status, just made me hate him. I also felt bad for Lawrence at this point in the story. I liked that he finally got Terry to be tested...

Sigh... Tiff you're evil! lol. I liked the story though, it had a good message, to have protected sex.. and now your status, those are good things. Your characters just seem so inhumane towards one another and really it was a Toxic friendship that led to the death of one, and likely both of them since I know I couldn't live with knowing I killed my best friend, the person I loved, with a sadistically evil ploy to get him to change INTO someone that I wanted to love. Sex problem aside, Lawrence was trying to change him..

Lordy woman.. OOPS themes I thought were going to be less evil.. but no.. you won the award so far. I still love you though.

OH!! and I forgot... I love the Pink. :)

Terry wasn't a character I particularly liked at all, throughout the entire story. Sure he got my sympathy at times, but no, didn't really like him as a person. Probably not someone I'd even associate with in real life. I do feel for Lawrence for the most part, since pining over someone sucks, and then watching them go down a dangerous path and feeling completely helpless. Even at the end, I'm still not really mad at Lawrence. He did what he thought he had to do and to some extent it worked, but no one would have expected Terry to take that extra step. Life is not only ugly at times, but extremely unpredictable.

Yes, I am super evil. EVERYONE BOW DOWN TO ME! MAUAHAHAH. :D And I'm pretty sure I can twist any anthology theme and make it either super sad and depressing or just messed up. Mike will vouch for that; he usually reads my stuff in advance and then yells at me afterwards.

You don't think the pink negates my evil-ness? I was tempted to ask Graeme to change it at the last minute, but figured it wouldn't hurt to channel some nice vibes from Krista! :lol:

Thanks for commenting girlie! :wub:

Let me just start off by saying the second I finished reading this story, I called tiff and yelled at her for making me read such an emotional, depressing story. And I proceeded to yell at her random things because I was so frustrated with the story. I was frustrated because of how real it is. I was frustrated because there are so many Terry
  • Site Administrator
You don't think the pink negates my evil-ness? I was tempted to ask Graeme to change it at the last minute, but figured it wouldn't hurt to channel some nice vibes from Krista! :lol:

I would have changed it if you had asked, but can I point out that pink is the colour of pale blood? I thought it was an appropriate colour for the story.

Graeme :wizard:

So, if Terry is still alive will there be.. 'protected' love/hate/love/hate make-up lovins? (Continuation) You can still be your evil self.

Hey now, I can't give you a continuation of the story or do a hypothetical "Terry being alive" thingy, because it would lessen the evilness. I need to maintain my evil crown. :lol:

I would have changed it if you had asked, but can I point out that pink is the colour of pale blood? I thought it was an appropriate colour for the story.

Graeme :wizard:

I had never had pink before and for some reason, this did seem appropriate for the story. The color of pale blood? :lol: Ahh, you have very creative justifications.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. That piece was powerful.

Sometimes young guys do feel like they are invincible, & as such act accordingly. Through their own arrogance, it's the attitude of "It'll never happen to me". Sadly more often than not, life has other ideas.

To love someone that much, & find the only way you can shock them enough to get them to change is to tell them they are HIV+ must be heartbreaking. Tiff did a fantastic job writing that, you could almost feel the emotion leaping off the page.

For me the interaction between the characters was spot on, & very well written. As for the ending, well I kinda liked it being left open the way it was. Leaves you wondering, what if?

Sometimes young guys do feel like they are invincible, & as such act accordingly. Through their own arrogance, it's the attitude of "It'll never happen to me". Sadly more often than not, life has other ideas.

To love someone that much, & find the only way you can shock them enough to get them to change is to tell them they are HIV+ must be heartbreaking. Tiff did a fantastic job writing that, you could almost feel the emotion leaping off the page.

For me the interaction between the characters was spot on, & very well written. As for the ending, well I kinda liked it being left open the way it was. Leaves you wondering, what if?

I agree, it was a very well written story, not a lot of authors could have pulled this off, this good.

If any other author wrote this and ended it the same way I'd have hope that in the end no one died, he got saved and the two lived happily ever after, but knowing that tiff wrote this, makes me sad...

SHES EVIL!

Yes! thank you for liking the ending! Lol, you're one of the few that preferred it being left open and open to interpretation. however, I suppose other readers were wishing I would turn the story around or give a happier or somewhat hopeful conclusive ending, but I find vague endings more captivating and mysterious and thought-provoking.

I wrote this a long time ago but took awhile to post it. When I was rereading it for editing purposes, even I was hit with the emotions and sadness by the characters. I guess I was imagining how it would seem if it were a true situation. Besides young people, a lot of people have that arrogance and superior thinking in which they think they're "too goo" or "better" and won't be affected by anything, whether disease or even a car accident. But anything can happen and their line of thinking only changes once it actually does happen to them. Unfortunately depending on the situation, it can be too late. In this story, it wasn't too late for Terry, but because of the trick Lawrence had played, it did end up being too late..

Thanks for reading and commenting!

I agree, it was a very well written story, not a lot of authors could have pulled this off, this good.

If any other author wrote this and ended it the same way I'd have hope that in the end no one died, he got saved and the two lived happily ever after, but knowing that tiff wrote this, makes me sad...

SHES EVIL!

Thanks, Mike, thanks a lot. :lol:

I guess I see your point; you know how my evil mind works and know what kind of ending I had in mind. However, since it's open to interpretation, you can create your own ending. Now don't you appreciate me evilness? Just for you, I'm going to twist the Carpe Diem anthology into something dark and creepy and make you read it! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes! thank you for liking the ending! Lol, you're one of the few that preferred it being left open and open to interpretation. however, I suppose other readers were wishing I would turn the story around or give a happier or somewhat hopeful conclusive ending, but I find vague endings more captivating and mysterious and thought-provoking.

I wrote this a long time ago but took awhile to post it. When I was rereading it for editing purposes, even I was hit with the emotions and sadness by the characters. I guess I was imagining how it would seem if it were a true situation. Besides young people, a lot of people have that arrogance and superior thinking in which they think they're "too goo" or "better" and won't be affected by anything, whether disease or even a car accident. But anything can happen and their line of thinking only changes once it actually does happen to them. Unfortunately depending on the situation, it can be too late. In this story, it wasn't too late for Terry, but because of the trick Lawrence had played, it did end up being too late..

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Thanks, Mike, thanks a lot. :lol:

I guess I see your point; you know how my evil mind works and know what kind of ending I had in mind. However, since it's open to interpretation, you can create your own ending. Now don't you appreciate me evilness? Just for you, I'm going to twist the Carpe Diem anthology into something dark and creepy and make you read it! :angry:

you mean just like you did with this one? *Hugs*

Just remember to expect a phone call within the hour of sending me the story =D