I Am the One by Wildone

• Site Administrator

I Am the One by Wildone

Lightning causes more deaths than most other natural hazards. Men are four times more likely to be struck by lightning than women, and if you are struck, there is a one in ten chance that you will die.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme

I Am the One

By Wildone

**Spoilers**

I enjoyed this story a great deal more than I expected to. I'm generally very bored by any story, movie, etc. that deals with nature or weather as a plot device. In this case though I actually found the story really interesting and exciting to read! I found the story beautifully written and very compelling!

My only lingering question is what happened with the first 911 call? Did the dispatcher take him as a crank caller and hang up?

It sure sounds like the protagonist was very lucky indeed! I was thinking for sure that he had suffered permanent damage to his right arm.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this story. Way to go, Steve! :D

-Kevin

• Site Administrator

Well done, Steve! It's a simple thing you've written about -- taking a step back, it's just an accident and a trip to the hospital -- but you've embedded it with drama and interest right the way through. When I was reading, I had to keep wondering what was going to happen. What was a plus, from my point of view, is that as I read, I knew it was going to have a happy (or at least happish) ending, because the narrator was still alive twenty three years later.

As for the first call, I'm not wondering. We've had enough incidents here (including one recently fatal one), where calls to the emergency number are not handled as professionally as they should be. We've had situations where someone in Epping, Victoria, rings and an ambulance is dispatched -- to Epping, in New South Wales! I think the monotone of the first operator told us that they were just there to do a job, with little interest in doing a good job.

My personal question is whether this story is fiction, or a fictionalised account of a real-life event? Steve, you don't have to say, but I can't help wondering, since the lead character is 17, it's listed as occurring 23 years ago, and Wildone is currently 40 years old....

Edited by Graeme
As for the first call, I'm not wondering. We've had enough incidents here (including one recently fatal one), where calls to the emergency number are not handled as professionally as they should be. We've had situations where someone in Epping, Victoria, rings and an ambulance is dispatched -- to Epping, in New South Wales! I think the monotone of the first operator told us that they were just there to do a job, with little interest in doing a good job.

Oh wow! That is terrible!

As an aside a few years ago I was offered a position as an emergency dispatcher. I ultimately turned the job down in large part because I was concerned that it would be too high stress and that I would continually be wondering and worrying about what had happened. I suppose as with all things after awhile the profession becomes routine.

My personal question is whether this story is fiction, or a fictionalised account of a real-life event? Steve, you don't have to say, but I can't help wondering, since the lead character is 17, it's listed as occurring 23 years ago, and Wildone is currently 40 years old....

That certainly would add a fascinating twist!!!

It is, as it says in the beginning, HIS story... and I was fascinated by that fact, too, along with so, SO very glad that he made it through that and is here with us today. :D

• Site Administrator
It is, as it says in the beginning, HIS story... and I was fascinated by that fact, too, along with so, SO very glad that he made it through that and is here with us today. :D

Yeah, I know it says that, but is that statement Wildone's or the unnamed narrator (they could be different people).

Viv has a very good point that I think most readers will over look.

Amen to Viv's statement above, we are very very very GLAD to have you with us. *HUGS!*

Steve, firstly let me say thank you for sharing something soo personal and filled with emotion with us all. You wrote it with all your heart, I can tell just by reading it. I'm so glad you are here to tell us this amazing story.

This was a perfect story for the theme, thank you again for such a great story Steve.

Oh wow! That's phenomenal!

:hug:

So glad you made it through in tact, Steve!

And wow, that really does put the whole thing into a new perspective!

Right?

Reading Steve's story is really having me take a step back, and think "It could of happened to any of us" and not all of us would have been so lucky...

• Site Administrator
This was a very good story that truly went straight to the heart of Carpe Diem.

Like Kevin, I too wondered what had happened with the first call.

Linxe

Thanks Jon, when I read the theme, Carpe Diem, one thing came to mind right away :P

Well done, Steve! It's a simple thing you've written about -- taking a step back, it's just an accident and a trip to the hospital -- but you've embedded it with drama and interest right the way through. When I was reading, I had to keep wondering what was going to happen. What was a plus, from my point of view, is that as I read, I knew it was going to have a happy (or at least happish) ending, because the narrator was still alive twenty three years later.

My personal question is whether this story is fiction, or a fictionalized account of a real-life event? Steve, you don't have to say, but I can't help wondering, since the lead character is 17, it's listed as occurring 23 years ago, and Wildone is currently 40 years old....

Thanks Graeme!!

So I will answer the question about the truth of the story...It is indeed 98% fact, and it did happen to me. The only parts that may be fiction are the ones where I don't have total recollection, like was the bike a Norco or a Raleigh :P .

I really appreciate the comments.

Oh wow! That is terrible!

As an aside a few years ago I was offered a position as an emergency dispatcher. I ultimately turned the job down in large part because I was concerned that it would be too high stress and that I would continually be wondering and worrying about what had happened. I suppose as with all things after awhile the profession becomes routine.

That certainly would add a fascinating twist!!!

It's funny, as I was writing this down, I remember vividly the realization that the ambulance wasn't coming the first time. What happened to the dispatcher? I don't really know.

I think it was forgotten at the time as my family and myself were more glad that there was no lasting effects or damage from the incident. Also, back then, I don't know if people questioned authority when they made a mistake. Unlike today when most people consider which lawyer to call rather than is everyone okay :(

And I'm glad I'm still around and have met you :hug:

Yeah, I know it says that, but is that statement Wildone's or the unnamed narrator (they could be different people).

That was one of the questions I was debating. GA is a Quality Gay Fiction site. I actually tried fictionalizing the story a bit, but it just didn't really work. I think by writing from the actual experience maybe help me tell it better.

• Site Administrator
Viv has a very good point that I think most readers will over look.

Amen to Viv's statement above, we are very very very GLAD to have you with us. *HUGS!*

Steve, firstly let me say thank you for sharing something soo personal and filled with emotion with us all. You wrote it with all your heart, I can tell just by reading it. I'm so glad you are here to tell us this amazing story.

This was a perfect story for the theme, thank you again for such a great story Steve.

Thanks Meeko :P , I really appreciate the comments. At times I questioned how personal I wanted to get. After thinking about it, I remember a point from a public speaking class I once took, "If you want to interest your audience, be truthful and believe in what you want them to hear and see"

I kind of took this to writing as well. To write about something that isn't somewhat personal and meaningful to me, probably would have been a little boring. Then on the other hand, I questioned if it was boring because it was mostly fact. I guess I had to decide the balance between getting the message across with fact, and not inflating it with fiction. :D

Would you go so far to say it was a shocker? :D:lol::P

Right?

Reading Steve's story is really having me take a step back, and think "It could of happened to any of us" and not all of us would have been so lucky...

As mentioned, it was 23 years ago, but to this day I it comes to mind right away when I hear that first distant crack of thunder or see lightning far off. Generally you won't catch me outside during a storm for obvious reasons. The doctor's comments do come back to me when I think about it though, and that is always a good way to stay grounded.

Actually, I went back, and I kind of outed myself here at GA (as getting hit by lightning :lol: ) back in 2007. Here is that post.

Wow..

Wildone, this was a deeply moving story. I didn't realize it was autobiographical until almost the end (when I began to suspect, once I recalled your 2007 post).

My thoughts on the dispatcher; had they showed up with no problems, I'd have considered that to be incongruous. :)

My hunch is that you got pegged by a step-leader or positive streamer (I can't recall which is which, but I mean the ground discharge that often occurs in several locations away from the main channel of the stroke, a moment before the main stroke). You were indeed very lucky.

Aside from the story itself, the other thing that I'd like to say is that this was very well written!

Thank you for this story, Wildone, it's a great one. And BTW, I love the title, too. :)

And BTW, is anyone amazed that I refrained from saying "shocking!"? I am :)

• Site Administrator
Wow..

Wildone, this was a deeply moving story. I didn't realize it was autobiographical until almost the end (when I began to suspect, once I recalled your 2007 post).

My thoughts on the dispatcher; had they showed up with no problems, I'd have considered that to be incongruous. :)

My hunch is that you got pegged by a step-leader or positive streamer (I can't recall which is which, but I mean the ground discharge that often occurs in several locations away from the main channel of the stroke, a moment before the main stroke). You were indeed very lucky.

Aside from the story itself, the other thing that I'd like to say is that this was very well written!

Thank you for this story, Wildone, it's a great one. And BTW, I love the title, too. :)

And BTW, is anyone amazed that I refrained from saying "shocking!"? I am :)

I am absolutely shocked that you managed not to use the word shock until the final sentence :lol: .

Tell you the truth, the doctor felt it was sheet lightning that was absorbed by the bike, but then again I imagine a doctor isn't too well versed in lightning with maybe only a bit of introduction to Keraunomedice when in med school. Now that you mention that, I will have to look into it more.

Thanks for the comments, they are really appreciated. :)

I thought it was fiction too until I came to the thread. Wow,you're damn lucky! Glad for that. :D

I didn't have prob accepting the fact that the first call was completely neglected. It happened to me once. It's not fun at all.

Very nice story. Glad that you shared it with me.

Take care,

Ieshwar

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I am reading from a distance. From the start I knew I would like it. A smooth confident voice. Good image building. I don't believe you named the boy. Just the paras and the dr. So I thought about you of course telling of your past. You got some nice comments here too. It holds one's attention. Now I want to know more about the boy who lived that day. A very nice story. One to be proud of. One that should be followed with more.

Sam

• Site Administrator

Well I am reading from a distance. From the start I knew I would like it. A smooth confident voice. Good image building. I don't believe you named the boy. Just the paras and the dr. So I thought about you of course telling of your past. You got some nice comments here too. It holds one's attention. Now I want to know more about the boy who lived that day. A very nice story. One to be proud of. One that should be followed with more.

Sam

Thanks Sam specool.gif . I did on purposely leave the name out of it, and as you probably have figured out, it was me, so I didn't want anyone thinking that maybe I was too vain for naming my main character after myself tongue.gif .

Not a heck of a lot of 'interesting' stuff about the boy who grew up, but then again, I probably didn't originally think that anyone was interested in this story either.

I appreciate the comments, and who knows what will happen in the future innocent.gif