The Two Fates of Aerta by Kanaye

The Two Fates of Aerta

By: Kanaye

**Spoilers**

I absolutely adored this story! I've always been a fan of fantasy pieces and this one is excellent in fact it's easily as good as the majority of published fantasy pieces in my opinion. It was extremely creative and beautiful, Kanaye! I thought the kingdom felt very real and the characters were well-developed.

I particularly enjoyed the interaction between Jarlyn and Karshin. I thought that it rang especially true and was very sweet and playful. I got a big kick out of the whole scene in which Jarlyn ordered Karshin to kiss him and then Karshin gave him a peck on the cheek to make a point :lol:

I got a big kick out of the servant mistaking Jarlyn for Jazon and asking why Karshin couldn't just give him the message himself. LOL, I did think that was a bit lippy for a servant, but wildly amusing! I wonder if she was thinking they were like kids who weren't speaking and so asked others to pass on messages in front of each other :lol:

However, my absolute favourite character was definitely Seer Vantor! He was an awesome character (and by the look of it at least a marginally better seer than Karshin :boy::P )

I personally would be delighted to read more of this tale if you ever had another installment or another independent piece with the same characters or in the same world. Regardless, I very much hope you continue writing fantasy pieces.

Excellent job! :worship:

-Kevin

• Site Administrator

I also loved this story. I get the impression that the world is a lot more complex than presented, but we're shown enough to support the story while leaving things open to be expanded in other tales. :2thumbs:

However, my absolute favourite character was definitely Seer Vantor! He was an awesome character (and by the look of it at least a marginally better seer than Karshin :boy::P )

I don't know if he's a better seer. My impression was that while the seers can direct their talent to a degree (such as when the prince directed Seer Karshin to research battle tactics, as a way of hiding what he was doing to the king), it is random when they get a vision of something unexpected (as with Seer Karshin's early visions that allowed him to save the prince). Seer Vantor got a vision of what would happen when Seer Karshin went to the inn, while Seer Karshin didn't -- did he fail to try, or was the capricious nature of the seer's gift at play? One of the thing with seers -- how much does what they see affect what they are able to see? After all, if Seer Karshin has seen the problems that Seer Vantor saw, would he have ever made it to the inn? Maybe the ending wouldn't have happened if Seer Karshin had known too much....

Regardless, well done, Kanaye! And, I also would like to read more stories set in this world. ;)

I don't know if he's a better seer. My impression was that while the seers can direct their talent to a degree (such as when the prince directed Seer Karshin to research battle tactics, as a way of hiding what he was doing to the king), it is random when they get a vision of something unexpected (as with Seer Karshin's early visions that allowed him to save the prince). Seer Vantor got a vision of what would happen when Seer Karshin went to the inn, while Seer Karshin didn't -- did he fail to try, or was the capricious nature of the seer's gift at play? One of the thing with seers -- how much does what they see affect what they are able to see? After all, if Seer Karshin has seen the problems that Seer Vantor saw, would he have ever made it to the inn? Maybe the ending wouldn't have happened if Seer Karshin had known too much....

Yes, that's an excellent point. I was mostly being tongue in cheek in the first place. I think what I really liked about Seer Vantor were his general personality and attitude. He was a very strong character and he came off as someone who knew how to get the job done. Karshin was certainly a great character too; I just really enjoyed the contrast between the two seers.

I also thoroughly loved the Jarlyn character. He just seemed so sweet and affectionate, but he also had a lot of personality. For example one of my favourite lines was when Karshin told him to act normal as they were entering the city and he responded:

• Site Administrator

I really enjoyed this story Kanaye :worship: .

The fact that the story was told from a basis of good versus evil made it quite enjoyable.

As far as the servant being a bit lippy ^_^ , I guess I would have been too. At times I had myself confused between Jarlyn and Jazon. Until the actual introduction of Jarlyn (and I fell in love with him at first introduction :P ), I kind of questioned how he would be better than Jazon.

I was surprised at who ended up taking Jazon's life. I imagine King Bali believed in the eye for an eye saying and felt it was his right and honour to be the one to make Jarlyn king. I agreed with his decision.

As far as the humour in the story, I absolutely loved it. The orders, the comments between the characters, the actual interactions between the Seer and the future King all made it a very enjoyable read.

I echo Kevin and Graeme's comments of hopefully seeing more.

Well done Kanaye.

Steve B)

Although stories involving magic don't usually interest me, I enjoyed this particular story. Perhaps it was the lightly humorous touch that won me over.

:)

I especially liked "They practiced Jarlyn's ordering abilities the entire trip", a sentence which sent my imagination into overdrive!

Well, done!

Kit

I'm positivly thrilled you all like it.

It didnt go as I first planned but I coulndt make a "Man in the Iron Mask" scene where Karshin is teaching Jarlyn, especially with Jarlyn's father dying.

I wasnt planning on Vantor, he sort of... appeared. *shrugs* But I loved how he worked out. I'm glad you guys like him. My thinking is Vantor stayed at the inn where Jarlyn worked, gave him his horse and boom, visions.

About the Seer's abilities. In my world, I think that Seer's mostly See what they know. Thats why he didnt know about Jarlyn until he met the king. He knew the king and so he Saw something that greatly affected the Kings life. I know that doesnt hold with Karshin saving Jazon in the first place. Maybe he met Jazon previously. Or he could have Seen himself saving Jazon, and that would have greatly afftected his own life. Didnt really think about it.

You guys like my humorous bits, yay. I like making people laugh or at least giggle a bit. Im glad they worked.

I'll see what I can do about writing more of Aerta. I dont want to promise and get up your hopes. I was thinking, thinking, of King Kial and King Brett but I cant get a lock on them. Hmmm, I'll have to dream on it.

Thank you guys for reading and like I said, I'm positivly thrilled you all like it.