[David McLeod] Initiation at St. Anselm by David McLeod

• Site Administrator

I recognised both the name Plantagenet and the House of York, so I was half expecting a ghost story. The extra items, like the ethereal beauty and the anger about offending the dead confirmed my suspicions.

So, naturally, I was surprised by the unexpected ending, though I shouldn't have been. It was very, very British :D

Thanks, David! I loved it! :great:

Yeah, I thought it was a ghost story too!

:)

It was very well written and I really liked the ending.

Just one thing though...

as a new boy at the school, I wonder if he'd be old enough to get into a pub, much less get a pint?

Kit

• 2 weeks later...

Oh David,

I was getting all pins and needles with the tension as it built (and it did build!). Though I thought it strange that Edward was carrying a torch (flashlight) in the final scene... After the denouement, I was chuckling heartily. Well done! What fun. Thank you!

I like the story. There was a little of back and forth in my mind whether Edward was a ghost or not. Actually it kinda made me wonder whether he was gay or not. biggrin.gif

Ashi, I do like a happy ending. Edward is gay, and the boys will live happily ever after.

Oh David,

I was getting all pins and needles with the tension as it built (and it did build!). Though I thought it strange that Edward was carrying a torch (flashlight) in the final scene... After the denouement, I was chuckling heartily. Well done! What fun. Thank you!

Thank you so much! The "torch" notion came from an early boyhood reading of a series of British books, of which "Swallows and Amazons" was the first. It took me a long time to understand that a torch was a flashlight, and it's something I've never forgotten.

The "torch" notion came from an early boyhood reading of a series of British books, of which "Swallows and Amazons" was the first.

"Swallows and Amazons" -- now that was a wonderful book. There was a copy at my grandmother's house which my mother read to us when we were young. My mother had gone to school in England and then spent the war years in London, so we kids always felt at home with "things British". What a roller coaster ride was "Swallows and Amazons" and what a children's classic it's become. I knew you came from a superb literary lineage, David!

"Swallows and Amazons" -- now that was a wonderful book. There was a copy at my grandmother's house which my mother read to us when we were young. My mother had gone to school in England and then spent the war years in London, so we kids always felt at home with "things British". What a roller coaster ride was "Swallows and Amazons" and what a children's classic it's become. I knew you came from a superb literary lineage, David!

I was recently able to get a copy through interlibrary loan, and enjoyed it again nearly as much as before.