Alkier by Ieshwar

• Site Administrator

Ieshwar's last anthology story was a kids' story. This one is a fable :D

A child who is 'raised' for eleven years, knowing all the time that he's to be sacrificed at the end....

I can see how there are those that would take advantage of that situation, taking what pleasure they could get because they know it won't matter in the end. But it did :) Alkier had his revenge because a moment of 'niceness' at the end by the others in the village doesn't make up for the years of neglect and cruelty beforehand.

Was Alkier as cruel as the villagers at the end, or was his a just anger?

One thing I thought of when I read the ending: there would be no more Alkier's :)

Thanks, Ieshwar! I really enjoyed the story :2thumbs:

I very much enjoyed this story.

The style of this story is very simple - and I say this as a compliment!

The words have a beautiful simplicity, just as 'Little Raindrop' had, but unlike the 'Little Raindrop' this is a dark story that is perhaps not suitable for little children. :)

As Graeme says, it is more like a fable, with several possible lessons. One lesson is that if your going to sacrifice someone as a messenger to your gods, you should be nice to them - that way the message given to the gods will be a nice one.

The story drew me in immediately and as soon as the plans for the boy were revealed I kept looking for loopholes which would allow him to escape. I hoped that perhaps he be of no use as a sacrifice if he was defiled or if he was bleeding on the big day.

Still, I did enjoy the ending.

Although I did wonder if the boy wasn't cheated a little - he asked for 11 years of suffering for the tribe but they were given only a few hours of agony. Oh well, at least the boy seemed satisfied! :)

Thanks, Ieshwar!

Kit

Ieshwar's last anthology story was a kids' story. This one is a fable :D

A child who is 'raised' for eleven years, knowing all the time that he's to be sacrificed at the end....

I can see how there are those that would take advantage of that situation, taking what pleasure they could get because they know it won't matter in the end. But it did :) Alkier had his revenge because a moment of 'niceness' at the end by the others in the village doesn't make up for the years of neglect and cruelty beforehand.

Was Alkier as cruel as the villagers at the end, or was his a just anger?

One thing I thought of when I read the ending: there would be no more Alkier's :)

Thanks, Ieshwar! I really enjoyed the story :2thumbs:

Thanks Graeme. :D I think every one who has read the story will have an answer to that question. Some will find his actions justified. Some will find it cruel.

And you

• 4 weeks later...

I read this story several weeks ago. It made me feel uncomfortable then. I didn't like the final act of violence, the village being destroyed and the people being killed. But, like I said, the story made me think. It came to my mind every now and then. And, this morning, I finally grasped it. It now makes perfect sense to me.

Despite the torture and abuse, Alkier withstands the endless suffering. Though broken, he doesn't give in entirely. On the contrary, he gains strength, and thus is able to break - how to say - the 'spell'. He's free. And the people who wish to take his life...in the end they lose their own. So, be careful what you wish for. Watch your thoughts, wishes and desires. It all comes back to you.

Ieshwar, this story has depth. Thanks for sharing it. It gave me an insight.