[Lugh] Heritage Heretic by Lugh

• Site Administrator

Knowing several people who have been affected by this very issue I actually knew a bit about it. But the story doesn't just emphasize adoptee rights. It also brings up things like safe sex and family planning that a lot of teenagers don't think about. Not to mention the issues with schools today in regards to many of the more controversial issues they would prefer to sweep under the rug. I like that not only did two teenage boys stand their ground and provide a thought provoking display but backed it up with information and facts, not just their justifiably strong emotions on the subject. The family and peer support is great too. I love this story, it's so true to the facts of life that people in the situation that Trey or Daniel are face. Oh and the line "There will be no cultural revolution over bastardy" That was too funny! Great work!

I think we often forget about bastards, but they are a group of people who have been historically shunned for something that is not their faults. Adoption rights are also important. I think never allowing someone to see their own birth records is unethical and that it should be a discontinued practice. So in that, I agree with the story's message. Good one, Lugh!

• Site Administrator

Great story Lugh and thank you for sharing worshippy.gif .

I didn't really expect such a thought provoking story to tell the truth. You made me think of bastards and other non bastards in a different light today. I have to really commend you on the way you actually argued both sides of the debate with first the two female students at the beginning and then with the judges and finally with the teacher and principle. Even though I may think that the pro secret adoption points may be wrong, your characters argued their points very well.

I know Cia mentioned laughing at the bastardy comment, as I did, but I really started laughing at the picture of some students singing We Shall Overcome at the end.

You never seem to disappoint Lugh tongue.gif .

How long until we get something else biggrin.gif .

Thanks again,

Steve

• Site Administrator

I really enjoyed this story. I loved the righteous irreverence that the boys used in repeating the word 'bastard', using it's correct technical meaning, rather than the colloquial one.

I also loved the way they turned the tables back on the teacher. I noticed how they had asked the teacher for an alternative assignment, and that that was refused. Who can blame them, then, for taking a measure of revenge.

Having said that, on the subject that the story raises, I've got mixed feelings. An adoption is almost always due to a tragedy -- be it parents unable to look after a child, or unwilling to do so. Sometimes the tragedy is in giving up the baby in the first place (eg. a young teenager being forced to give up the child by her parents), but I think it's almost always a tragedy.

The child's right to know their history is a legitimate right. The right of the parent to privacy is another one. I'm sure that in some cases, having a child given up for adoption reappear can cause a lot of pain for the parent (especially if they are in a new relationship and their partner was unaware of the existence of that prior child). Does the right of the child to know outweigh the right of the parent to privacy? I really don't know the answer. All I know is that the matter is not a simple black-and-white issue.

The child's right to know their history is a legitimate right. The right of the parent to privacy is another one. I'm sure that in some cases, having a child given up for adoption reappear can cause a lot of pain for the parent (especially if they are in a new relationship and their partner was unaware of the existence of that prior child). Does the right of the child to know outweigh the right of the parent to privacy? I really don't know the answer. All I know is that the matter is not a simple black-and-white issue.

Could it work like that the medical history of the parents were somewhere written down and accessible to the child's doctor and after reaching the adult age to the kid too? If the parents wished to reveal their names, I don't see any point in sealing those records.

I liked this story very much. For me it has other meanings, mainly with the students revolt and singing that song...

i wrote a review it didnt post :S

here we go again! :D

Well done lugh an engaging story that i couldn't wait to read from start to finish. You picked an appropriate title (although i preferred the original Bastards Unite :P) I really enjoyed reading

I must read more of your stuff :D

I have been thinking of this and it is interesting from an ethical point of view. Our Civil Rights are enshrined in the Human Rights Act which says this about the right to privacy

(1) Everyone has the right for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence. (2) There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

This is the same article which has been cited to enshrine the right to family life. So the same article provides support for both sides of the arguement.

In the UK it is fairly easy to obtain information about birth families. You have the right to apply to the Registrar for a copy of the original birth certificate, to the court for information of the adoption agency who was involved in the adoption, or the parties involved in a private adoption and then to the agency itself for access to its records. Although this last step is optional in practice few adoption angency refuse requests.

There is a provision for the parent to request specifically that their identity is not revealed in which case there is an applciation to the court when the competing rights and needs are weighed. In reality it is very difficult in the country for adoptions which took place after 1975 and particularly after 2005, to conceal information from adopted children.

In a Social Services adoption where a child has been removed from its birth family they have a positive duty to preserve records and reveal them to the children when they reach 18.

Interesting topic. Making me think like a lawyer... do you have any idea how dangerous that is.

I'm glad you guys are liking this one. I wasn't very sure how it would go over because of the topic and how contraversial it could be perceived. I know I didn't go into all sides of the issue -- it wasn't an essay, it was a short story, for crying out loud. Focus, people.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm glad you guys are liking this one. I wasn't very sure how it would go over because of the topic and how contraversial it could be perceived. I know I didn't go into all sides of the issue -- it wasn't an essay, it was a short story, for crying out loud. Focus, people.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should have gone into all the issues. That's why we're doing it for you :Pdevilsmiley.gif