Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

War's End by Mark Arbour

War's End by Mark Arbour

World War I is coming to an end, but for two men, both former soldiers, peace means a return to their separate homes and their separate lives.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

The story made me get a little misty before I even started reading it; like visiting old friends after a long absence. After reading it, there was this wave of emotion that swept through me

...this is a great follow up to "Furlough";

thanks Mark,

I loved it.

This was truly beautiful. The whole atmosphere, the emotions conveyed and... okay the sex. Awesome as usual. Although I have to say that it is different to the longer stories of yours that I have read. It's a qualitative thing. This one is more thoughtful somehow, more melancolic. There is a whole different feel to it as if it captures a different part of you :)

Honestly, I have not read Furlough. Perhaps I should now. I loved how this one ended. There was definitely a bit of misdirection. I thought Gabriel was going to jump. I'm glad Jack caught him in time. I can imagine their life together would indeed be a difficult one. That was almost 100 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Great story, Mark!

• Like 1

Honestly, I have not read Furlough. Perhaps I should now. I loved how this one ended. There was definitely a bit of misdirection. I thought Gabriel was going to jump. I'm glad Jack caught him in time. I can imagine their life together would indeed be a difficult one. That was almost 100 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Great story, Mark!

Thanks Tiger. It needed a happy ending for all the hopeless romantics out there.biggrin.gif

I haven't ever read any of your stories, Mark. But now, after this really beautifully wriiten, almost heart-breaking story.

I'll definitely read Furlough, that's for sure. And prolly other stories by you.

This is just fab story-telling.

It's definitely a good short story. If you read Mark's series, you definitely won't be disappointed either. ;)

I haven't ever read any of your stories, Mark. But now, after this really beautifully wriiten, almost heart-breaking story.

I'll definitely read Furlough, that's for sure. And prolly other stories by you.

This is just fab story-telling.

Thanks! I got the idea for the characters while reading a history of WWI. What a horrific conflict. So it seemed plausible that a legless French soldier would be around, and that someone like Jack would be able to look beyond his handicap.

And we are really glad you did. ;) A marvelous story! :) I failed to find out the "I'd never do that" in it but it doesn't matter. :) Hmmm... It might be hidden in "Jack would never leave without Gabriel." and sort of "Gabriel would never go on living after Jack leaving for Canada." Anyway... I'm glad they are both alive and that they are back. :) It looks like Mark has a frame for the Anthology stories. :):great:

The "I'd never do that" was in a lot of the story. The two you cited, along with the initial decision that Jack would never take Gabriel with him, that he'd never stay in Paris, and that Gabriel wouldn't be willing to go to Canada with him.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..