[Menzo] The Damage Done by Menzoberranzen

• Site Administrator

It's been a while since Menzo has put in a story for one of the anthologies, but the wait was worth it. This is one of the most powerful short stories I've read in a long time.

In my views, it's a story of the descent into hell on earth, narrated by the person making the descent. They pull back at the end, but only at great cost. Despite that, the narrator claims to have no regrets, but reading between the lines I took that to be not wanting to express regret because to do so would mean that his boyfriend's death was for no purpose. Is that what he really meant? I don't know, but that's how I see it.

The narrator is right on one critical thing, though. We are the sum of our experiences, the good and the bad. You can't take away the bad without taking away a part of you.

Thanks, Menzo! I remember a long time ago watching a movie on drug use call "Less Than Zero". This story brought back memories of that movie and how shaken I was at the end. I'm so glad that I've never used drugs (apart from alcohol) and that's something I don't regret :)

Loved it Menzo. I have to admit the drug talk went over my head sometimes, but I'm pretty sheltered from that sort of thing where I live. Still powerful story and the ending was amazing. :)

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm glad you liked it.

It's not often I feel compelled to tell a story, but I had to tell this one. If any of you are wondering where I've been for the past couple years, this story should give you an idea.

Menzo

Biased you in a bad way?

I haven't decided yet lmaosmiley.gif .

I'm having a hard time looking at the story objectively as a literary work, versus 'wow, this is what Menzo's been up to for the last couple of years'.

I know I don't really know you, and that in reality you're just a bunch of 1's & 0's, but I cringed through a lot of it, imagining it was you. I'm not sure I'd have the same reaction if it were a random story.

I think I'll have to re-read a few more times.

Edited by NaperVic
  • 2 weeks later...

Powerful? Yes. Disturbing? Even more so. Is there truth in the last line ("...but when I die, I will be able to say that I have lived.") No. And the irony of that single line is what makes the story.

I would argue that there is indeed truth in that line... I have seen a part of life that most people never get to. Yes I paid an awful price for it, but that doesn't change the fact that I reaped a great many benefits from it too. I would do certain things differently if I could (i.e. not doing needles), but overall if I could go back and do it again, I would. It is a part of my life that I will never, ever forget - for the good reasons, more so than the bad.

Menzo

I would argue that there is indeed truth in that line...

Menzo

I will never argue with an author: it's your story and it's remarkable as well as remarkably well told. On the other hand (this is not arguing!) I think that it can be read on more than one level, and that's a good thing.

• 3 months later...

great story. and to my mind what makes it great is the way the gradual nature of the slide is described. the rationalisations, the "obvious" paths, all the points in a life when thr road of life splits and a decison which way to must be taken.

really powerful stuff.

congratulations...

• 1 month later...

Ok, look...I know this was an old post and everything but...

JESUS H. CHRIST ON A GOD-D$%M POGO STICK!!!! I feel as though I've just been repeatedly punched in the gut. What a powerful short story. POWERFUL. Tremendously sad, but powerful.