[NickolasJames8] "Family Night" by NickolasJames8

Beautiful story Nick.

The story ends with Alex and Jacob being satisfied with the family that they have, and they should be for now. But the story starts with the dream that they have of raising a son of their own.

Which brings me to my third reason for wanting to take him trick or treating with Jacob....the two of us have a dream of raising a son of our own.

The story ends on a positive note when Alex and Jacob feel happy about their current life, and indeed they are too young to have their own son at this point (they are high school freshmen in this story). But I also felt some sadness when I read this story, because Alex and Jacob will face a great deal of difficulties before they can become parents, and this is unfair. They can be great parents someday, and yet the system is going to work against them. I hope that one day their dream will come true.

Hugs,

Michael.

Edited by Xiao_Chun

This is really heartwarming, Nick! And beautifully written!

I loved the mix of mischief and love, taking their young Uncle out but enjoying his candy too.

The young uncle was a very intriguing touch! It gave everything a very realistic feel for me, as that is something that you see much more often in life then in fiction.

I really enjoyed seeing Alex and Jacob again, and loved the happy family feel. The inclusion of the issues (gay adoption, etc,) was great, and very thought provoking.

I was intregued enough by the mention of a legal age limit for trick-or-treating to do a search, and guess what, it look like it's real!!! I'm astonished by that.

Thanks Nick!!!!!!! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Nickolas, the quality of your writing just gets better and better.

my only beef ;) :

I’ve been teaching him how to work up a loogi and spit it straight up into the air, then get underneath it and catch it in his mouth.

Yelch, yuk and shudder! - in the UK we call in gobbing.

Nice story! :2thumbs:

• Site Moderator

I had the pleasure of editing this story for Nick, nothing new there, I know. This is part of what I said to him when I sent the story back to him.

What a Sweet, Sweet, story. This is by far, the best piece of work you've done to date. This story really tugs at the heart strings.

I meant every word of it too. It was such an emotional trip to read it.

As with his other stories, I can see the parallels between them and his life.

Jan

• Site Administrator

Family Night by NickolasJames8

2006 Fall Anthology Story

A beautiful story that's wonderfully told. I strongly recommend that everyone reads it.

Congratulations, Nick -- it's one fantastic story. Jacob and Alex will make great parents one day.

I hope you end up a parent, too, because if that's your idea of a family, you'll be one terrific Dad. :great:

Graeme :2thumbs:

Definately left me with a smile and a warm feeling in my heart. I love a story that leaves me feeling good. I liked the message. I guess we do tend to overlook the things we have, when we focus so strongly on what we don't.

Great stuff Nick.

The story ends on a positive note when Alex and Jacob feel happy about their current life, and indeed they are too young to have their own son at this point (they are high school freshmen in this story). But I also felt some sadness when I read this story, because Alex and Jacob will face a great deal of difficulties before they can become parents, and this is unfair. They can be great parents someday, and yet the system is going to work against them. I hope that one day their dream will come true.
Within the several years they should wait to be the best parents (in my opinion), I am hopeful that several places will welcome gay adoption. Alex and Jacob may then face the decision so many of us face: your choice of lifestyle or your choice of location. Sometimes you can't have both. :(

Great Story!! I liked the way that family was described and how there are diffent types of families! Well done and the emotion put into it was increadible. I can imagine why they would want to be parents. If their relationship continues to grow, it can happen for them.

Keep up the writing you are an amazine author Nick.

Jensen

LOVED this story! :2thumbs:

I'm a total sucker for a happy ending and really don't care for stories that don't have them. (My thinking has always been if I want to get depressed or sad when reading something, to just pick up a newspaper or click on the online news and find it there by the ton.)

Thanks for delivering a heartfelt storyline with some truly terrific characters. :great:

Kel