[Dezlboi] "Facing the Demons" by Dezlboi

Facing the Demons by Dezlboi

Dezlboi's Fall Anthology story

***Possible Spoilers***

Awesome story!

I really felt like I had an excellent handle on Tyler! At first I didn't even know if he was gay. Then I didn't know if anyone else knew. I was glad to find out that his family and close friends did know and accept him though!

I guess Nick either had pretty good gaydar or had put two and two together when Heather told him how nothing had happened.

Nick was a really interesting character! I had a lot of trouble figuring him out. At first I was thinking that the dream Tyler had wasn't a dream about remembering the past, but instead a dream that sort of predicted the future. So I was actually thinking for awhile that Nick was trying to trick him into going into the graveyard so that the other guys could jump him! I figured he must be trying to help Heather get revenge or something.

I was really happy to see that Nick wasn't trying to do that! Of course now I'm not sure if that dream really happened or not. My feeling is that it didn't and that it was some kind of warning instead. Because it seems like a pretty big coincidence that the same three people would be there in the same masks...well unless that was just like their hangout and they always wore those masks I guess. Still I'm thinking it had never actually happened. Of course if it didn't then I guess it doesn't make as much sense that Tyler was "facing his demons". Of course I guess those demons could have been something tangible from his past or just fears that were gripping him in general. I guess the simplest explanation is that it did happen though.

I don't know, what does everyone else think?

Anyway I really enjoyed this story quite a bit!! :D Awesome job, Dez! :great::2thumbs:

Kevin

Edited by Kitty

Heya Kevin -

Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the story and that it left you a few things to ponder. I won't answer any of your questions directly since I don't know if this story will continue or not, but I will say this: this story is one small view of a much larger situation, and there are explanations to all of the questions you pose. :)

Anyway, this story was a bit of a departure from my usual emotional/introspective blah blah blah, so hopefully it wasn't a complete flop. :blink:

-Dez

At first I was thinking that the dream Tyler had wasn't a dream about remembering the past, but instead a dream that sort of predicted the future. So I was actually thinking for awhile that Nick was trying to trick him into going into the graveyard so that the other guys could jump him! I figured he must be trying to help Heather get revenge or something.

My hunch was that it was a premonition, too. And I REALLY loved the way Tyler overcame his fears and attacked the thugs. I also loved the way he "lost it" a bit when it was all over: that is so VERY realistic!!!

This is just absolutely great, and I really love the writing style! I sure hope this continues!!! :2thumbs:

Well... I have not actually read the story yet, just the Disclaimer. I have to say that that is the BESt disclaimer I have ever read! Good work! :worship::P

That was my very first thought! I usually breeze through a disclaimer, but this one sure made me do a double-take! OMG!!!!!!! That had me in hysterics!!

Thank you, Dezl, for a superb story, and that disclaimer set just the right cheery tone for it. :2thumbs:

You wrote:

"And as the afternoon passed, the sun slid across the daytime sky and the last of the autumn leaves tired of their desperate struggle to maintain their fingertip hold on their tree-branch homes, and the two young men shared with each other just a taste of their souls."

I have never read leaves falling described like this before. I have to say, it's the single most beautiful sentense I've read in a very long time.

I loved the story. I wanted to rip their masks off and beat them until my arms cramped. You really seem to pack a lot of imagry into few words and it paints the scenes in my head beautifully. I'm definately going to have to check out more of your stuff. This was wonderful!

whew glad to see Im not the only person who absolutely loved that discalimer!

As for the story itself, Dezlboi, like Darkshadow pointed out, you have a definate ability of painting a scene almost lyricaly with the words you write with. There were several moments in the story where It felt as if I were reading a snippet of some epic poem.

And yeah I wonder too, when did frankenstien and skeletons start smiling? :blink:

For, some reason I got the impression that the dream really did happen, perhaps the writing had me so invested in the Tyler at that point I didnt second guess his instincts. But I do know he said it had happened four years previous. If it were a preminition and Tyler was placing himself in Nicks possible shoes, wouldn't tyler have surmised that his own beating would have taken place only two years prior? As Dezlboi lets us know Nick is two years younger then Tyler.

I surely hope you decide to continue this story Dezlboi, Id like to know more about Nick and more about this mystery you seemed to have created around Tylers past. You left me, well us, with a beavy of questions. Did it happen? (I think yes!) Do his friends know? Why'd they let him forget? :blink:

Steve

I won't answer any of your questions directly since I don't know if this story will continue or not, but I will say this: this story is one small view of a much larger situation, and there are explanations to all of the questions you pose. :)

OHH! I'm very excited by the idea of a sequel! I'd love to read one! :D

Anyway, this story was a bit of a departure from my usual emotional/introspective blah blah blah, so hopefully it wasn't a complete flop. :blink:

DEFINITELY not a flop! :D:2thumbs:

This is just absolutely great, and I really love the writing style! I sure hope this continues!!! :2thumbs:

That was my very first thought! I usually breeze through a disclaimer, but this one sure made me do a double-take! OMG!!!!!!! That had me in hysterics!!

LOL, I hadn't actually read the disclaimer till I heard everyone talking about it! But yeah! :lol::lmao:

You wrote:

"And as the afternoon passed, the sun slid across the daytime sky and the last of the autumn leaves tired of their desperate struggle to maintain their fingertip hold on their tree-branch homes, and the two young men shared with each other just a taste of their souls."

I have never read leaves falling described like this before. I have to say, it's the single most beautiful sentense I've read in a very long time.

I agree! That was really beautiful! I stopped and re-read it when I was reading it too!!

For, some reason I got the impression that the dream really did happen, perhaps the writing had me so invested in the Tyler at that point I didnt second guess his instincts. But I do know he said it had happened four years previous. If it were a preminition and Tyler was placing himself in Nicks possible shoes, wouldn't tyler have surmised that his own beating would have taken place only two years prior? As Dezlboi lets us know Nick is two years younger then Tyler.

That's an excellent point, Steve! I hadn't thought of that!

Once again, Great job, Dez! :D:great:

take care all and have an awesome day!

Kevin

• Site Administrator

My read on the dream sequence was that it was a suppressed memory. Something triggered its return, but Tyler had been bashed and had then pushed the memory away.

I was wondering if there was a more mystical significance in that Nick was being attacked like Tyler had been, but given the time of year it could be that the three assailents bashed someone there each year -- if they happened to stumble across someone in the graveyard. Being Halloween and guys being guys, I suspect there was a good chance they'd find someone. I wonder how many other young guys suffered like Tyler did, and Nick almost did.

At least that should've healed any lasting mental pain that Tyler was feeling.

As for the disclaimer... I won't comment because I don't want it's brilliance to detract from the story.

Maybe someone should start a discussion thread, just for the disclaimer?

OHH! I'm very excited by the idea of a sequel! I'd love to read one! :D

DEFINITELY not a flop! :D:2thumbs:

Once again, Great job, Dez! :D:great:

Kevin

Once again Kevin told first all what I wanted to tell

"I have never read leaves falling described like this before. I have to say, it's the single most beautiful sentense I've read in a very long time." It's my opinion too.

And just to say : the pleasure is much greater when you read it for the second time.

Old bob

Edited by old bob