"The Necklace" by eternity2rock

The Necklace by eternity2rock

eternity2rock's Fall Anthology story

***Possible Spoilers***

I certainly didn't see this one coming! I was really curious about what was going on and about who the two main characters were. I really didn't expect the woman to turn out to be some sort of ghost!

I was thinking the two had known each other for a long time, but it seems that they must have met on the night of the accident. I do wonder if each of these men is supposed to be the descendent of Jacob then surely they must already have children of their own (or the line couldn't keep going). Yes, Davidson doesn't mention a child of his own, only the little boy in the crib.

I also wonder what'll happen after the fourth man dies. There's only supposed to be four after all. Is the fourth (or I guess the 5th actually) destined to be the one that someone saves Sarah and changes fate?

Anyway very interesting story, eternity! Awesome job, you really gave us a lot to think about! :)

Kevin

Edited by Kitty

I think what freaked me out more, was her smile at the end. In my mind it was a sinister smile. She had gotten him killed and smiled. I figure it must be sinister because, why would someone knowingly kill you and then smile about it?

This would be a great story to tell over a bon fire during Halloween night.

Thanks eternity2rock. I really enjoyed it!

• Site Administrator

An odd story -- and very compelling. It has an almost gothic flavour to it.

I spent a lot of the story trying to work out the relationship of the girl to the narrator -- or even the sex of the narrator.

I noticed the use of the word "resentfully" at the end -- he didn't accept his fate easily, though he knew it was his. That ten year span between names was interesting. I wonder if there is anything special about that gap -- such as the length of time she was married? That doesn't ring right, though.

:) Thanks, eternity2rock.

An odd story -- and very compelling. It has an almost gothic flavour to it.

I spent a lot of the story trying to work out the relationship of the girl to the narrator -- or even the sex of the narrator.

I noticed the use of the word "resentfully" at the end -- he didn't accept his fate easily, though he knew it was his. That ten year span between names was interesting. I wonder if there is anything special about that gap -- such as the length of time she was married? That doesn't ring right, though.

:) Thanks, eternity2rock.

Graeme, I originally thoguht he was accepting of it, but after reading your comment I went back and looked, and you are quite right,. That was very haunting and mysterious (and perfect for Haloween!)

Thanks, eternity2rock.

Beautiful writing. It reminds me of Romantic Literature... your description of the surroundings at the beggining was very compelling, almost life-like. Great job!

Thanks for all the nice comments. This was a fun piece to do. I appreciate all the feedback that i have gotten.

Happy Halloween/Samhain all!

Thanks for all the nice comments. This was a fun piece to do. I appreciate all the feedback that i have gotten.

Happy Halloween/Samhain all!

Thank you for helping make this Halloween a very special one! I sure hope we will be seeing more stories from you. :ph34r:

I'm so late to the party that I figured, What's one more day? Sleeping on it, alas, did not resolve much. This very short story left me with a sheaf of questions, such as

• Is the narrator a male? Graeme's question also. (I'll use the masculine pronoun.)
  • Where did he get the necklace? What does it mean to him?
  • What's with the wall, first glassy then jelly-like?
  • The house is familiar and inviting. Why? Does the narrator go through this every 10 years?
  • Why is he dizzy climbing the stairs?
  • Who are Williams and Donahue? How are they related to the sisters? to Mr. Davidson? Are they kin of the philanderer? Are there four of them to be had (so four spaces on the plaque)?
  • Why the 10-year interval? Graeme's question also.

I guess a less anal approach to this story is in order: a prettily written partial glimpse of complex ghost story that we're not meant to understand fully. Yeah, I can live with that. :read:B)

Still, I cannot help puzzling briefly over this paragraph:

On the anniversary, Sarah
I'm so late to the party that I figured, What's one more day? Sleeping on it, alas, did not resolve much. This very short story left me with a sheaf of questions, such as
  • Is the narrator a male? Graeme's question also. (I'll use the masculine pronoun.)
  • Where did he get the necklace? What does it mean to him?
  • What's with the wall, first glassy then jelly-like?
  • The house is familiar and inviting. Why? Does the narrator go through this every 10 years?
  • Why is he dizzy climbing the stairs?
  • Who are Williams and Donahue? How are they related to the sisters? to Mr. Davidson? Are they kin of the philanderer? Are there four of them to be had (so four spaces on the plaque)?
  • Why the 10-year interval? Graeme's question also.

I guess a less anal approach to this story is in order: a prettily written partial glimpse of complex ghost story that we're not meant to understand fully. Yeah, I can live with that. :read:B)

Still, I cannot help puzzling briefly over this paragraph:Note how the kin are discussed collectively, as if they share one sole and suffer their fate as one. Nah. I'm being too anal again. :P

Hey there knotme...i actaully wassss going to write other parts to this story..but it wont happen any time soon...im working on other things..so in the mean time i will answer your questions.lol and sorry im so late on this posting..

* the narrator is male

*the necklace was in the family. there was an unspoken understanding (that i guess wasnt so clear.lol) that all of the kin of jacob had this necklace in the family. the necklace was a cherrished heirloom that the men would give to the "one they loved".

*the wall was part of the story that was in a dream like state. it moved the character from reality...then to a dream state and back to another state of reality.

*the house is fam. and inviting because THAT house was in the family. The kin of jacob will actaully go through this every ten years untill the finally kin "dies" ending the saga.

*he gets dizzy going up the stairs because of all the energy in the house...its a ghost story and their are soon ghosts present in the house. (its just a reaction of all that)

*Williams and Donahue are actually kin of Jacob. Another unsaid point that would of been found out in a sequel is that Williams is acatully Jacob Williams. The first of the men..Williams was the one whom acatully was the unfaithful man in the story...Jacob. so the sisters are related to the men...because Williams(jacob williams) was the first guy who was unfaithful to Sarah. the other men are KIN and have to go through this family curse. (if that makes sense. if not..i will try to explain that again) The four places on the plaque are for the four men..Williams, Donahue, Davidson and ? (we find out in a later story).

*Im not sure why i chose ten year intervals, i guess because i kinda wanted the story in somewhat of a believeable time line and that would be how long it would take for this "curse" to go through.

When you said this "how the kin are discussed collectively, as if they share one sole and suffer their fate as one" you were actaully right...not anal at all :2thumbs:

Take care and hope that helped!

:2thumbs: