[Lugh] "Oidcha Shamhna" by Lugh

Oidcha Shamhna by Lugh

Lugh's Fall Anthology story

***Possible Spoilers***

In this fascinating tale Lugh tells the story of a human sacrifice from his perspective. This tragic figure seemed destined for the fate all along. His name was "Sacrifice", he was cursed by a priest, and he was always different, longing to be with the men instead of the women. This sacrifice is necessitated when the main character picks up a stone which has broken in half due to the intense heat of an "All Hallow's Eve" fire.

One cannot help but empathize with the main character and his unfortunate plight, especially when the poignant final words are read:

I lean my head back and listen as the angels call my name

Edited by Kitty

Well this is my very first time to read something of Lughs, and I have to say, his writing really draws me in. His vivid description really delivers the story.

The story of "Sacrifice" and his final hours is an interesting one. A short and powerful story, full of imagery and strength.

Good Job Lugh :2thumbs:

LOVED IT! Though I didn't realize that because the rock was picked up that Winter was sacrificed. These were christian people, I thought, burning a witch. Christians do not generally make human sacrifices if I remember correctly. They started wars, and burned innocent people to death during those times. Got to love a focused bible beater... they are very motivated people.

Whatever take you have on this story I think it was beautifully written. I felt the impending doom througout each paragraph, but at the end didn't feel so bad that it was about to happen. It was a very interesting emotional mix for me.

Thank you Lugh... I loved it!

I agree! Awesome job Lugh!

As Juss mentioned, it's Lugh's descriptive style that distinguishes his writing for me. The paragraphs are so rich with imagery that the reader is transported in time and place to another world. It's why I enjoy the fantasy genre so much.

And yes - as our distinguished goat points out - so accepting of his fate. A Sacrifice above all others? And yet, he seems resigned to it, and embraces it.

Someone else said this story is "thought provoking". I completely agree.

Every time I read a story by Lugh I find myself trying to think through all the angles. I go back and reread it to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time (which I usually do).

Very nice, Lugh. Thank you for the story.

Centaur

Awww

Thank you all.

I thought for sure this story would go over everyone's heads, and I guess I'm not too wrong, judging by the lack of comment.

Anyway, a little background on the story -- it is set in the time where christianity was just coming to the celts. So yes these are "christian people" but just barely so, I don't think conversion by "convert or die" makes for true believers.

Anyway, it was just a piece of drivel in my head. I'm glad it made those of you who braved reading it think.

Lugh

I didn't get too far into this story before I decided I needed a brief review of the origins of Halloween, where I quickly picked up most of the lingo, but not "Imbolic" (the first hint of spring, Feb 1) or "Oidche Shamhna" itself: the night before summer's end (Samhain, Nov 1), i.e., Halloween.

I associate human sacrifice to gods with pre-Christianity and was shocked to read that it continued until 1600! Elsewhere I read that accounts of Druids' human sacrifices come, not from Celtic history, but rather from contemporaneous Roman history. Lugh confirms that this story seems to take place in a blend of ancient Celtic religion and Christianity, perhaps as late as 800-1100AD, during and after the Viking invasion, when Viking paganism would have mixed in.

The Samhain fires burn through the Winter Solstice partly to encourage the sun to again beat back the forces of winter and darkness and let Spring come. To be born on the Winter Solstice was cause for suspicion and fear, compounded by young Sacrifice's insistence that god is in the "wrong" places, as evidently to him as green grass and blue sky:

the wobbly first steps of a newborn fawn still wet from its birthing waters. In these things, I saw god. In these things, I placed my faith: faith everlasting, faith ever-enduring. For these things, I would cease to exist. Yet, because of them, I would live on.

Sacrifice knows that his vision of god will persist and spread after his death:

This is the moment for which I was born in the still of the night on the darkest of days; this moment -- where I hold my faith in a god who does not know me and I live up to the name with which my mother blessed me. I do it not for me, but for those who will follow.

Green and blue change places in "Ah, the others, those that I never saw in the blue grass with the green sky behind them." (Is the interchange significant? A mistake?) The "others", I guess, are Viking invaders (slanted eyes? maybe I'm wrong), who intermarried freely.

I'm not quite sure how to take Sacrafice's self image as a Green Man, an "an ancient vegetation deity" in those days, and now "the embodiment of untamed nature, an emblem of the male principal, and a symbol of fertility and vibrant life energy", although the definitions carry hints. :P

What I take away: When Sacrifice draws the short straw (a piece of stone that fractures in the fire), he becomes "Devoted" to sacrifice to the gods at next year's festival, butis fate was cast by his birthday, a day when traditional gods are weakest, allowing him to see his new god in unacceptable places. He dies a martyr for this "god who does not know me". No expert in religions, I cannot place this faith. The concept of an earth god or goddess goes way back; it lives on in many religions today. I rather think that Sacrifice is a naturalist before his time. What do you folks think?

I wish I understood this passage better:

The more pious of those participating in this pagan festival crossed themselves as I looked on. Those more in tune with the world around them made wardings similar to those to keep evil away and frowned when I laughed.

To cross is Catholic; to ward is pagan. Paganism is more in tune with the world? This Buddhist won't take sides here. :P Can anyone help with this?

How I wanted them to take me into the forest and impale me upon their thick shafts causing me to bless my cursed nature. These were the images that danced across my mind as I seeded the earth in honor of the Lord and Lady of May. These are the images I will carry with me to my pyre of bone and wood.

may be the most elegant description is this particular common male activity that I have ever read. In fact, the language is lovely throughout. Read this story aloud. It sings!

Sacrifice is gay. This fact probably fits into the rest of the story, but I don't see how. Ideas?

Because Sacrifice expects his blood to boil, I assume that he burns that the stake (we Americans did continue this fine tradition well into the 1600's!), soon reduced to "bone and wood" as the fire is stoked through the dead of winter. "Bonfires" (bone fires) will never be the same for me after reading this story.

I didn't get too far into this story before I decided I needed a brief review of the origins of Halloween, where I quickly picked up most of the lingo, but not "Imbolic" (the first hint of spring, Feb 1) or "Oidche Shamhna" itself: the night before summer's end (Samhain, Nov 1), i.e., Halloween.

Heh. I looked at that site too when I went to write this story. That's halarious!

I associate human sacrifice to gods with pre-Christianity and was shocked to read that it continued until 1600! Elsewhere I read that accounts of Druids' human sacrifices come, not from Celtic history, but rather from contemporaneous Roman history. Lugh confirms that this story seems to take place in a blend of ancient Celtic religion and Christianity, perhaps as late as 800-1100AD, during and after the Viking invasion, when Viking paganism would have mixed in.

A lot of people don't know about this dark side of human's walk with religion (or anti-religion). It was something that I wanted to deal with in the Halloween story cause I didn't want to do a traditional "trick or treat" type tale.

The Samhain fires burn through the Winter Solstice partly to encourage the sun to again beat back the forces of winter and darkness and let Spring come. To be born on the Winter Solstice was cause for suspicion and fear, compounded by young Sacrifice's insistence that god is in the "wrong" places, as evidently to him as green grass and blue sky:Sacrifice knows that his vision of god will persist and spread after his death:

Green and blue change places in "Ah, the others, those that I never saw in the blue grass with the green sky behind them." (Is the interchange significant? A mistake?) The "others", I guess, are Viking invaders (slanted eyes? maybe I'm wrong), who intermarried freely.

It wasn't a mistake! Honest! It was meant to be taken as the other things were clear to him, but they were taking his "truth" as false -- like some people will argue if the sky is blue or not.

I'm not quite sure how to take Sacrafice's self image as a Green Man, an "an ancient vegetation deity" in those days, and now "the embodiment of untamed nature, an emblem of the male principal, and a symbol of fertility and vibrant life energy", although the definitions carry hints. :P

Heh. There is a festival held around May Day (May 1st) that has to do with fertility, as others around Midsummer -- not sure which actually has the Green Man running round rutting to fertilize the ground.

What I take away: When Sacrifice draws the short straw (a piece of stone that fractures in the fire), he becomes "Devoted" to sacrifice to the gods at next year's festival, butis fate was cast by his birthday, a day when traditional gods are weakest, allowing him to see his new god in unacceptable places. He dies a martyr for this "god who does not know me". No expert in religions, I cannot place this faith. The concept of an earth god or goddess goes way back; it lives on in many religions today. I rather think that Sacrifice is a naturalist before his time. What do you folks think?

Sacrifice was playing a part in a pagan festival around the time that Christinaity was spreading. He still believed in the ancient gods. He was dying by the ruling of the ancient gods. His friends were becoming more and more Christian as he grew up. Because of things in his life he never partook of the 'new' god's festivals or celebrations (Mass and the like) so the new god did not know him.

I wish I understood this passage better: To cross is Catholic; to ward is pagan. Paganism is more in tune with the world? This Buddhist won't take sides here. :P Can anyone help with this?

The most pious (of the new religion) who were participatin in the pagan festival (Samhien) crossed themselves (like Christians would do in the face of evil). And those who had not 'taken up the cross' warded themselves as a good pagan would do.

may be the most elegant description is this particular common male activity that I have ever read. In fact, the language is lovely throughout. Read this story aloud. It sings!

Thank you.

Sacrifice is gay. This fact probably fits into the rest of the story, but I don't see how. Ideas?

Eh... maybe him being gay has nothing to do with anything else except the irony of the fertility festival, where he is forced to hide his true nature behind a mask while preforming the duties as required of him by his culture/religion.

Because Sacrifice expects his blood to boil, I assume that he burns that the stake (we Americans did continue this fine tradition well into the 1600's!), soon reduced to "bone and wood" as the fire is stoked through the dead of winter. "Bonfires" (bone fires) will never be the same for me after reading this story.

Yes, he died on the bonfire, as the Sacrifice. I'm glad you will never look at them the same way again... That was one of the points.

Thank you for all the nice comments.

Lugh.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I liked this story, a lot.

This is my 700th post, it is.

My name is Kurt, Lugh is a cool dude.

Bye now.

Hi, Kurt!

Just because you hid this in an out-of-the-way thread, that doesn't mean it doesn't get noticed.

Congratulations! :2thumbs:

Graeme :D

• 4 years later...

Beautiful imagery. Really great job on the entire piece. I like how you used the new religious beliefs to set this character further apart, yet he was to be the one sacrificed for their good, no matter their beliefs.

Beltane/ May Day is the celebration with the Green Man and his lady.