[NickolasJames8] "A Family's Sorrow"

• 2 weeks later...

That is a totally awesome and moving story. Sadly, the mother's difficulty in showing her son she loves him and face his rejection is so very parallel to our own difficulty in coming out. Our whole beings are vulnerable and subject to the most violent emotional upheaval, and we can only wait to see what happens; if we get up the courage to even try. Well done! :worship:

• Site Administrator

Beautiful....

When someone finds out that the person they love isn't who they think they are, things can change. My wife went through mental anguish when I told her I'm gay, and she could have easily ended up like Josh's mum. I'm lucky that she didn't and we worked through the issues that came up because I'm gay, but I found Josh's mum's reactions perfectly understandable, however undesirable they were.

I think I have to agree with Michael -- Nick, this is definitely one of your best works.

Graeme :)

Nick,

What a moving story. As soon as I read where it was set, you had my attention but the more I read, the more I was drawn into the story. The loss of a parent due to unacceptance is tragic but at least his Dad loved him totally and unconditionally. This is a story that I would love to see continued (I know that won't happen) so we could see how Josh and his mother reconsile.

:2thumbs: 2 thumbs up my friend and just so you know, I was raised in the Tidewater area. :worship:

Miguel Sanchez :sword:

Nick, you have outdone yourself. This is just superb.

It is both beautifully written, and has a superb plot.

This actually bought a tear to my eye, and not much does that. That letter was a crowning touch, and I think you ended it in just the right place.

Bravo, Nick!

Your writing just gets better and better. You pick on topics I wouldn't dare go near, and handle them with sensitivity.

I'd like a signed copy of your first published novel, please. :)

Happy New Year, and as the Goat says, Bravo!

Camy B)

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite writings. It really hits home with what goes on in the real world. :2thumbs:

You have a gift to write and please keep on doing so no matter what anyone else thinks.

I am glad I got to read it. Now where is the sequel??? :music:

• Like 1

Very nice. I found it to be well written, not that I would expect anything less from you, but also well told. I liked that both of the main characters, Janet and Josh, looked at the situation from a skewed perspective, and that you found a way to express that.

Good job, Nick.

--Gabe

Yep Nick, all of the above!!! Are you sure you're only 15 and not 60? Or are you in one of Dan's Reduxs and are in the third go around?

I jest, but your writing skill and creative ability in your stories is far beyond that of a typical/normal 15 year old. Your teachers must really love you. :worship::worship::worship:

I'm sure that a good number of people here admire your talent and wonderful stories.

Hugs,

Eddy

Edited by Eddy
  • Like 1

Wow...I really don't know what to say to all of these sweet comments. Thank you all for reading my story and there's no way for me to say what your comments mean to me, so I won't even try. I just wanted to say that I appreciate it more than you'll ever know. :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

I'm a little late to reply, but then again words and this story are just timeless!

What an amazingly touching story... short, simple, but so full of deep emotions. Beautiful was what came to my mind when I finished with moist eyes. You really captured that sense of longing for a mother's love, and the sense of sorrow and pain at feeling and being rejected very well. And the letter tops it off, sort of confirmed what I had been hoping for, that the mother was struggling with herself, and was herself hurt because how much she still loves her son... Done in so few and simple words, but left me gasping at the end from the overwhelming emotions they managed to produce :worship:

David

• Like 1
Beautiful....

When someone finds out that the person they love isn't who they think they are, things can change. My wife went through mental anguish when I told her I'm gay, and she could have easily ended up like Josh's mum. I'm lucky that she didn't and we worked through the issues that came up because I'm gay, but I found Josh's mum's reactions perfectly understandable, however undesirable they were.

I think I have to agree with Michael -- Nick, this is definitely one of your best works.

Graeme :)

Graeme, you've hit the nail on the head here. Different people cope wtih this sort of thing in different ways and even people whom you know to be accepting may be less so when it's someone close to them. I can relate to your situation very well, as I came out to my wife of 21 years just over a year ago - it was just after our 20th (happy anniversary, honey). We have many close gay and lesbian friends, so I knew she would have no problem with me being gay, but having a gay husband and one who lived a lie all those years was another matter. We don't have kids as a reason to stay together, but we love each other and are true soulmates. Neither one could contemplate life without the other and we are faithful to each other. My wife knows I read stories on the internet and she knows I post, and that I've even written my own story, though she doesn't want to read it. Let's just say that she ignores that aspect of my life. She understands why I kept it from her for so long and even empathizes with how difficult it must have been for me, but her reaction is analytical and she doesn't really want to be reminded about it. I'd like it to be out in the open, but she's not ready for that if she'll ever be, and I respect that.

We may never understand why Josh's mom shut him out. There was something about having a gay son that she couldn't face - truthfully, she may not even know what it is. It could even relate to something that happened when she was a child and that she thought she'd long been over. In any case, her defense mechanism was to shut down her emotional contacts with her son. By not loving him, she didn't have to face her emotions at all and this kept her from having to deal with whatever it was that affected her in the first place.

Nick, I aggree wtih everything else that has been said here. I've watched your writing style improve over time and this is certainly the most mature thing you've written. It is unique and very original, knocking Obligation to Myself off an already high pedestal. :worship:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...