[Shadowgod] "Almost Home" by Shadowgod

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

:,(

A bittersweet story of love transcending normal boundaries. I had my suspicions as to what had happened, but the ending took me by surprise.

I wish it could've ended some other way, but that's not in my control.

Thank you, Shadowgod. A very, very well-told tale. :hug:

Great story!

From half way through I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that said 'oh no, I'm not going to like the ending'.

I'm addicted to 'Living In Surreality', and was gratified this lived up to that, even though I had to read the ending three times to 'get it'. Sad I am :(

Absolutely fantastic, Shdowgod!

You are superb at imagery, and you shine in this story.

This is one of the most poignant and evocative pieces I've ever seen.

I loved the detail, such as the song on the cell, and, well, all of it. :2thumbs:

:,(

A bittersweet story of love transcending normal boundaries. I had my suspicions as to what had happened, but the ending took me by surprise.

I wish it could've ended some other way, but that's not in my control.

Thank you, Shadowgod. A very, very well-told tale. :hug:

Thanks Greame! I take the 'I wish it could have ended some other way' as a sincere compliment. I got you to care about the characters in 2600 words :P I'm glad you enjoyed even if it was bittersweet!

Great story!

From half way through I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that said 'oh no, I'm not going to like the ending'.

I'm addicted to 'Living In Surreality', and was gratified this lived up to that, even though I had to read the ending three times to 'get it'. Sad I am :(

Thanks Camy!

Sorry you didn't catch the twist on the first run, I was trying my hand at a ghost story of sorts. What I am curious about is the feeling you got reading. It was my intention but I'm curious as to where you first got the feeling that not all was going to end on the up and up. Ive asked people that Beta read it for me, but they couldn't pin it down. was it a phrase or just the general mood?

Glad to hear your addicted to Living in Surreality! thats alot like me and your anthologies... and Sereph, which gave me a Cloak and Dagger vibe when I first read it. (80's Movie)

Absolutely fantastic, Shdowgod!

You are superb at imagery, and you shine in this story.

This is one of the most poignant and evocative pieces I've ever seen.

I loved the detail, such as the song on the cell, and, well, all of it. :2thumbs:

Thanks CJ!

I have a confession about the cell phone ring, that song about a sociopath is what is on my cell :P

Thanks you guys for reading and taking the time to leave a comment!

Steve

• Site Administrator
Thanks Greame! I take the 'I wish it could have ended some other way' as a sincere compliment. I got you to care about the characters in 2600 words :P I'm glad you enjoyed even if it was bittersweet!

It was definitely a compliment. You made the story real, and I would've preferred a happy ending, but I accept what you've given -- it gave the whole story a poignancy that would've been missing otherwise.

Sorry you didn't catch the twist on the first run, I was trying my hand at a ghost story of sorts. What I am curious about is the feeling you got reading. It was my intention but I'm curious as to where you first got the feeling that not all was going to end on the up and up. Ive asked people that Beta read it for me, but they couldn't pin it down. was it a phrase or just the general mood?

You didn't ask me, but I picked it up from the title, the indication that the drive was getting dangerous, and then the phone call. You don't ring someone when you are 'almost home' -- you ring them when you get there. If you ring before then, it's because something has gone wrong.

Congratulations again.

Graeme :)

Thanks CJ!

I have a confession about the cell phone ring, that song about a sociopath is what is on my cell :P

Why does this news NOT surprise me in the least? :P

I loved the feel of the story, you are a master of imagery.

Indeed, you did make me care about the characters, darn hard to do in a short story.

Just like your other stories,

Living in Sureality

A Shot of Bourbon

you dispaly a great skill for forshadowing at the subconcious level. It's brilliant. :2thumbs:

• 5 months later...

I finally read this story and I Damn does it give an eerie truth to someone I know.

After their beloved died, the phone which they had not yet disconnected yet remained in a drawer had actually called several times. Call it a power beyond the grave or something else, but still it's sends chills up my spins when I think about those days, yet still I can't help but take some comfort in knowing that life doesn't end when we think it does.

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful story. Eerie and chilling, yet heartwarming at the same time (if that makes sense).

Amazing detail. I was thrilled at the use of a Jeep Cherokee Chief as I'm a big-time AMC/Jeep fan. Some disappointment that the Chief was unable to bring Bryson home safely, but the story was effective and it was nicely done.

Good job.

• 2 months later...

Wonderful story, Steve! (yes, I know I'm a tad late in reading it :P )

It was very moving and very powerful!

I suppose I never really expected the story to end on a positive note. From the very beginning when they were saying their goodbyes I got the impression that they weren't going to see each other again. I was assuming when the phone call came that it was Bryson calling to say that he'd had an accident and was dying, or else that he was stuck (and would die) somewhere.

When the conversation continued for quite sometime I thought that perhaps it would end with Bryson surprising James by coming home. Graeme pointed out that Bryson probably wouldn't have called if everything was okay. However, I think it would have made a fairly sweet surprise if he'd finished the conversation, said "I've got to go, I'm here", hung up, then knocked on Bryson's door :wub: I was sorta thinking that might happen for awhile.

When it didn't I assumed that something had happened to Bryson in transit, but I definitely didn't see the phone twist coming.

Awesome job! :D

Beautiful story. Eerie and chilling, yet heartwarming at the same time (if that makes sense).

Amazing detail. I was thrilled at the use of a Jeep Cherokee Chief as I'm a big-time AMC/Jeep fan. Some disappointment that the Chief was unable to bring Bryson home safely, but the story was effective and it was nicely done.

Good job.

Hmm, well obviously this isn't the interpretation that I believe, but is there anything to stop us from concluding that Bryson is playing some kind of elaborate practical joke on James and right after the close of the story Bryson turned around to see him standing there laughing? Such a joke could be accomplished if he'd left his primary phone at the cabin but removed the SIM card, put it into a different phone, made the call, then gotten in early in the morning and replaced the card into the original phone.

Like I said, definitely not what I thought, and I'm sure not what Shadowgod intended, but isn't it theoretically possible?

Anyway, great job! I really enjoyed this story!

Kevin